• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

IAP from a Hold

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Again, Waterdog, this isn't optional. This isn't simply nice advice. This is the representation of the direction of the Administrator, who oversees all regulatory matters dealing with civil aviation in the United States. This is mandated by an act of congress (Federal Aviation Act of 1958, and ammendments thereto), and the legal counselor speaks for the Administrator whom congress has designated for the position. It IS binding, like it or not.

The following interpretation further clarifies the matter, and is dated July, 1977. The specific references to Part 91 have changed slightly in enumeration, but the interpretation of the need for a proceedure turn when charted, and as discussed thus far, is valid, and IS binding.

You'll eventualy learn that much of the regulation isn't available by simply reading one passage or subparagraph. A complete understanding of the regulation under which we operate, and by which we are bound, involves referring to several different subparagraphs which are inter related. This legal interpretation helps clarify those relationships.

The gist of it is simple. When a proceedure turn is included in a proceedure, it is part of the proceedure. The pilot doesn't simply get to decide that if he is aligned closely enough, he can skip it. The designer of the approach makes the decision as to weather it's required. If it's shown as part of the procedure, it's required. It's that simple. 14 CFR 91.123 provides the regulatory basis by which the requirement to fly the complete proceedure is established. ATC may ammend the proceedure in accordance with 91.175(j); in fine, under such conditions, a pilot may NOT execute a proceedure turn unless authorized to do so.

ATC may not haphazardly modify the proceedure. If ATC is unable or unwilling to provide radar vectors to the final approach course, but instead clears the flight direct Newberg, cleared the proceedure, the full proceedure must be flown. The proceedure is regulatory, and when cleared for the proceedure, it must be flown as depicted. In such areas as can be ammended by ATC, the pilot must fly the proceedure as cleared. This is NOT an option.

July 25, 1977

Robert E. Little, Jr., Esquire

Dear Mr. Little:

We have reviewed your letter dated April 28, 1977, in which you requested an interpretation concerning whether, when depicted on an approach chart, a procedure turn is required under all circumstances in executing an IFR approach or it is permissive and subject to the pilot's judgment as to the need for the maneuver. Our conclusion is essentially as discussed with you on the phone on May 17, 1977.

In your letter, you indicated that during the first leg of an IFR training flight from Tipton Army Air Field, Fort Meade, Maryland to Westminster Airport (EMI), you were radar vectored to Federal Airway V-265 and thereafter maintained an altitude of 3,000 feet. Approximately 4 miles south of Westminster VORTAC you obtained the following Air Traffic Control (ATC) clearance:

"Army 295, radar service terminated 4 miles south of Westminster VOR, cleared for the VOR approach at Westminster, maintain 3000 feet until crossing the VOR."

You indicated that "for training purposes" you executed a procedure turn during the approach but concluded, after discussion with your instructor pilot, that the procedure turn was not required under the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs). You stated that you considered the following factors:

"(1) Our course was 11 to the right of the final approach course depicted on the plan view of the Westminster VOR Runway 36 approach;

(2) We were only 500 feet above the minimum procedure turn altitude; and

(3) We had approximately 4 minutes and 30 seconds to lose approximately 1500 feet at a rate of approximately 330 feet per minute after crossing the EMI VOR."

According to your letter, your subsequent research into the matter and inquiries of various FAA personnel into the correctness of your conclusion did not provide a satisfactory answer.

As you discovered, "procedure turn," as a symbol or term used in Part 97 of the FARs, is defined in Section 97.3(p) as follows:

"(p) Procedure Turn means the maneuver prescribed when it is necessary to reverse direction to establish the aircraft on an intermediate or final approach course. The outbound course, direction of turn, distance within which the turn must be completed, and minimum altitude are specified in the procedures. However, the point at which the turn may be commenced, and the type and rate of turn is left to the discretion of the pilot."

Pertinent paragraphs of Section 91.116 "Takeoff and landing under IFR; General" provide as follows:

(a) Instrument approaches to civil airports. Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator (including ATC), each person operating an aircraft shall, when an instrument letdown to an airport is necessary, use a standard instrument approach procedure prescribed for that airport in Part 97 of this chapter.

(h) Limitations on procedure turns. In the case of a radar initial approach to a final approach fix or position, or a timed approach from a holding fix, or where the procedure specifies "NOPT" or "FINAL", no pilot may make a procedure turn unless, when he receives his final approach clearance, he so advises ATC.

Paragraph (a) of Section 91.75 "Compliance with ATC clearances and instructions" states in pertinent part as follows:

(a) When an ATC clearance has been obtained, no pilot in command may deviate from that clearance, except in an emergency, unless he obtains an amended clearance. ... If a pilot is uncertain of the meaning of an ATC clearance, he shall immediately request clarification from ATC."

Accordingly, under Section 91.116, Part 97 Standard Instrument Approach Procedures (SIAPs) are regulatory and, unless otherwise authorized (such as by an ATC clearance to the contrary), a pilot is required to execute an IFR approach in accordance with the SIAP prescribed in Part 97. As you know, the substance of SIAPs is reflected on "approach plates" or other flight information available for use in the cockpit.

Particular SIAPs may prescribe a procedure turn that is mandatory, permissive, or prohibited depending on the application of criteria contained in the U.S. Standards for Terminal Instrument Approach Procedures (TERPs). The TERPs are used by the FAA in developing SIAPs for particular regulatory approaches at particular airports. However, ATC may "authorize" a deviation from the prescribed procedure when it determines that a different approach procedure is appropriate. Accordingly, a pilot may request ATC for authorization to deviate from a prescribed procedure turn, if it is prescribed as mandatory or, if it is prescribed as permissive, he may request an approach clearance with or without the described procedure turn.

Thus, if you accepted the indicated ATC clearance, under the FARs, you were requested to maintain an altitude of 3000 feet on the inbound course until crossing the VOR and then to execute the prescribed (SIAP) VOR approach at Westminster. Since the (SIAP) VOR approach prescribes a mandatory procedure turn as part of that procedure, the procedure turn (as described) is required.

Further, please note that if a pilot is uncertain whether the IFR approach procedure for which he obtained ATC clearance requires or only permits a procedure turn, he is required under Section 91.75(a) to immediately request clarification from ATC.

You correctly noted that the discussion of procedure turns in Advisory Circular 90-1A is neither regulatory nor interpretive of the regulation. Advisory circulars, as their title suggests, are intended to provide information, suggestions and other guidance.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
NEIL R. EISNER
NEIL R. EISNER
Assistant Chief Counsel
Regulations & Enforcement Division

H20K9,

You have been told repeatedly how the regulatory requirement to fly the procedure turn is derived, yet still you insist that it doesn't exist. At this point it seems you only wish to beleive what you believe and have no interest in considering the reality.

Here is how it is required:

1) Part 91.175(a) states in part that you "...shall use a standard instrument approach procedure..."

2) The FAA's Office of Chief Counsel has on three occasions issued interpretations which state clearly that "...shall use a SIAP..." means to use the *entire* SIAP, including a procedure turn, if specified.

3) The FAA's Chief Counsel is charged with, and authorized to issue binding interpretations of CFR Title 14.

If you put 1,2, and 3 together, there is your requirement. If you honestly do not believe that statements 1,2, or 3 are correct, I'd be happy to discuss that, but just repeating "it's not required by the regulations" is not productive. You've been shown over and over exactly how and where it is required by the regulations. If you chose to ignore this, that is your choice. It has nothing to do with "thinking outside the box"

If you were subject to a certificate action for not flying a procedure turn (and yes, it does happen) the Letter of Investigation, and the notice of suspension of your certificate would quote the relevant portion of 91.175, and it would quote the Chief Counsel's legal interpretaion. If you were subject to this enforcement, how effective do you think your arguments would be against the enforcement division?

" I still don't see anywhere in the far 91.173 or where ever, that it states I must do a procedure turn"

They will show you 91.175(a) and the official legal interpretaion of 91.175(a)

"I don't care what a chief councel (sic) says"

Oh yeah? It doesn't matter whether you care, the enforcement division cares, and they're the ones who are going to suspend your certificate.

"I talked to someone at Portland Approach and they said it wasn't required"

Really? does the unwritten opinion of a some approach controller overrule the official legal interpretaion issued by the Office of Chief Counsel?

"I was thinking outside the box"

That won't impress them any more than "I don't care what a chief councel (sic) says"

Instead of trying to personalize this discussion with insults like;

" just let me know if you're in the area so I can stay clear."

or

"I actually think it's funny how guys like you have all the answers but don't think outside the box"

why don't you try addressing the arguments which have been presented by myself and Avbug?

I would like to hear why you consider the Chief Counsel's interpretation irrelevant or invalid.

regards

Last edited:
Let me put one more log on this fire.

As stated above, the ATC facilities normally clear pilots to fly direct to the VOR in their "radar environment".

Here comes the question.

If no magnetic bearing is specified in the clearance, does that clearance constitute a "radar vector" and therefore relieve the pilot of flying the procedure turn? Doesn't a "vector" require a direction in which to fly?

TB,

A radar vector, by definition (according to the Pilot/Controller Glossary) is the "provision of navigational guidance to aircraft in the form of specific headings based on the use of radar."

Vector is defined as "a heading issued to an aircraft to provide nagivational guidance by radar."

If radar coverage provides for a given area, vectors may not assumed to be given until specific headings are assigned, based on the use of that radar.

In consideration of the present subject, the presence of radar does not alleviate the requirement to fly the proceedure turn when published. Specifically radar vectors to the final approach course must be given to qualify for relief from this requirement.

Your answer leads me to believe that the procedure being used by those ATC facilities mentioned above is non-standard, and possibly illegal.

Is that a fair conclusion?

well boys this is getting quite fun!
Let me retract my last, I do care what the chief counsel states and I appreciate your imputs and I agree that a procedure turn is part of the SIAP. Sorry if I offended you! Now, that being said, and I am open to learning everyday. I am answering the original question on the missed approach after you have entered the hold. which takes the place of the procedure turn to bring your craft back on course to the vor for shooting the approach.
Now my other question to you is this...If you are coming in from the south and you are cleared for the approach, are you saying you reach the vor then turn back out towards the left (I assume since that is where the hold is) then track back on the outbound course to do the procedure turn back in? I agree that if you come from the north you need to P-turn to have a course reversal, but everyone that I ask, and there are many, and we are all flying pt 121, they all have the same answer as I. Now maybe we're wrong, but it doesnt make sense to me that you would turn back out just to turn back in. Sorry if I require the "simple" explanation but I do appreciate all of your imputs.

Waterdog,

The simple answer is yes, you must fly the full proceedure. Again, this depends on the conditions of your clearance. If you are given radar vectors to the final approach course, you may not execute a proceedure turn unless given a clearance to do so. If, however, you are simply cleared for the approach, then you must fly the full proceedure.

The question you have appears to be why one needs to reverse course to become established, if one appears to be flying straight in. It's a good question, and the basis for the confusion here, too. The short and simple answer is because the designers of the approach elected to make it so.

There are several airways that feed Newberg, which represents the IAF for this approach. Overheading Newberg at MEA, one will still be 600' above the initial altitude for the approach (3,000), assuming you arrive on V-500 (the lowest MEA of all the arriving airways). If you happen to be arriving from the south on V-287, which is the 183 degree radial on which the proceedure turn is conducted, the MEA is 3,600.

TERPS specifies that among the criteria for establishing a hold in lieu of a proceedure turn, the minimum holding altitude may not be more than 300' above the inbound crossing altitude for the fix. In this case, if arriving at the MEA, the initial altitude over the fix is 600' above the fix. I cannot tell you why the designers elected to require a proceedure turn, but they did. If a hold meets specific descent gradient criteria for each category of authorized aircraft, the proceedure turn may be eliminated. Evidently that's not the case here.

ATC may provide authorization to execute the proceedure straight in, using radar vectors, and the small (r) on the approach plate indicates that they have this capability. Lacking this capability, chances are that they are unable to provide you with a MVA, seeing as they wouldn't be able to see you on radar, and you are stuck with flying the full proceedure.

It's worth noting that a hold is depicted in alignment with the final approach course, on the low altitude enroute chart. A descent in this hold after crrossing the IAF (Newberg) may be used to reverse course, as previously discussed. It's also worth noting that for whatever reason, this hold is NOT depicted on the approach chart.

Another important point is the issue of course reversal. We are told in a number of locations that a proceedure turn is used when it is necessary to reverse course to become established on the proceedure. However, in this case, it looks for all intents and pruposes as though arriving on the airway has us pretty well established. Again, the short answer is that it's the designers of the approach that get to decide what's established, and what's not. Evidently, using all the criteria for this approach, they decided that a proceedure turn would be required after crossing the IAF in order to become established.

Almost certainly the reason for this is required altitude loss. I can only state that as guesswork and a matter of opinion, without seeing the data upon which the approach is predicated.

You seem to know this approach well; it suggests that you fly it often. When you do so, how do you normally conduct it?

Anyone remember the acronym HARPT for times when a PT is not required?

H=hold in lieu
A=arc
R=radar vectors
P=no PT
T=teardrop

Last edited:
well here we go with round four. not that I don't beleive you guys but I want clerification here. I talk to the fed's that work with our airline and they say negative on the procedure turn unless you need to make a course reversal. As for the guy that want's to "slap my CFII", go ahead, he teaches at the United Airlines Training Dept. He agree's with me also.

Latest resources

Back