Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I wish to issue a public apology for the uncalled-for joke I made last Monday.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, White America still has a long way to go. "Discussions" like this are really depressing. People who appear to be decent, and who most likely are decent in most respects, reveal severe character flaws and/or ignorance. It isn't about being PC, which, as far as I see it, only encourages people to pretend. It's about respect and empathy and humility. Qualities that we really do not pay much attention to nowadays.

I am very happy that the original poster apologized for his remarkably ill-conceived "joke". I am less happy that it was the thought of potential economic consequences that brought home to him the profoundly offensive nature of his remarks. He is young. He will, hopefully, learn and grow like all of us.

FYI, unlike what some others have said, I can promise that making this kind of "joke" would never occur to me, or to many, many other people, in a million years. To those of you to whom it, or something similar, leapt swiftly to mind, you might want to spend a little time in self-examination.

dseagrav said:
kick my ass too.

You are a good man for apologizing! I have no idea what you said, but whatever it was, you took the high road.

I guess the real reason I wanted to reply is the fact that ASS is not a censored word, which I find funny considering some of the moderators censor certian topics and discussions.

ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS! :) (And no, the smiley is not because I like ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS ASS, but rather to prove this post is in tounge and cheek.)

flyifrvfr said:
I would hope that there are more than two black people on this board.
how could there be? 1 out of 3 black males aged 20 to 29 are in prison, jail, probation or parole [1]. Reading posts on this forum would just depress them more than humor them.

[1]Contemporary Corrections, 2nd Edition
G. Larry Mays, L. Thomas Winfree, Jr.
Copyright 2002 Wadsworth/Thomson Learning

According to my text, things look up for the Hispanics, with only 1 out of 10 from the same age group in prison, jail, probation and parole. White dudes finish last, with only 1 out of 15, in the same penal configuration.

References:
Contemporary Corrections, 2nd Edition
G. Larry Mays, L. Thomas Winfree, Jr.
Copyright 2002 Wadsworth/Thomson Learning

Those figures may be correct, but the system of incarceration is a little biased. You see, while there may be a disproportionate amount of blacks in prison, this in and of itself can not be objectively indicative of blacks committing more crime.

Crime is dependent upon the availability of opportunity for a particular crime. The issue here is what crimes are available to the different segments of a population. People from all races commit crimes and it isn’t realistic to generalize solely on color. It can be argued that white people commit almost as many crimes as any other race, it just takes place in different settings. For instance, white collar crime is not a heavily policed area. Street crime, on the other hand, is more heavily policed and more easily prosecuted. White collar crimes tend to be invisible and more likely to go unnoticed. The repercussions of white collar crimes can sometimes induce harm on many more people than a single incident of street crime.

Blacks, due to a myriad of social and economical reasons, including an unfortunate legacy of slavery, are seen mostly participating in street-level crimes. These type of crimes tend to affect victims on a smaller, more individual basis and usually are violent in nature. Most have a fatalistic outlook on life and were born into poverty. A product of their environment where rules on advancement in life are predicated upon a different set of rules. Role models and aspirations and what hold status or value are contingent upon the environment.

Things like credit card fraud, insurance fraud, insider trading, unethical corporate maneuvers, cheating on taxes, cheating on your timesheet - you name it. All of these types of crimes can very easily be gotten away with. Of course this in not inclusive of every white collar crime, but in order to be in a position to execute or have access to a lot of these crimes requires some level of education and money.

Presently, I'm enjoying the wave of corporate scandals. In reality, the crime that occurs at the executive level imposes more damage on a much larger scale to society than petty street crime. The implications of corporate wrong-doing affect many more people financially for many years to come, including their health in some instances.

Historically, corporations went unscathed for the crimes committed by enjoying the protection provided to them by the very nature of the limited liability structure of a corporation, thus absolving many executives from proper punishment. I’m glad to see those silver bracelets match that expensive suit.

NYCPilot said:
Those figures may be correct, but the system of incarceration is a little biased. You see, while there may be a disproportionate amount of blacks in prison, this in and of itself can not be objectively indicative of blacks committing more crime...
It's all part of a plot to keep the brothers down! If you don't believe me, ask yourself this the next time you're in a grocery store...why do they keep the black olives in the can?

Co-inky-dink? I don't think so...

RightPedal said:
And what about the American Indian. I don't see them in the news every day crying about how they were done so wrong and demanding restitution.

It's funny you mention that. There's several tribes in the Midwest suing the Federal government for 70-some odd BILLION dollars for restitution from supposed royalties off "their" lands. A few days later, they said they'd SETTLE for $28 billion. Gee, thanks. Isn't that check for $18k when you graduate high school enough? How about the free college education (if you chose to use it)?

Okay, better quit the rant. I'm gonna get my wee wee smacked.

But they are crying and demanding restitution. That'll never end.....

Jesus christ. I leave for a week and my apology turned into a big racial pissing match slash flame thread. When I was brought up I was taught that if you made someone mad or screwed up someone by an error on your part you apologised afterward, and so I did. I guess that wasn't the right thing to do either. Just forget I posted either message, OK? I guess the right answer is to avoid the subject entirely. (I can't delete threads I started... Would some moderator please delete this?)

Latest resources

Back