• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I will Never Fly Spirit Airlines....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Their policy is no refunds, ever, for any reason. (For a non-refundable ticket) That seems a bit harsh for a terminally Ill person who's doctor ordered him not to fly. Sometimes just showing an ounce of compassion may occasionally shine a positive light on this ********************bag industry.

Last edited:
As a veteran I am sympathetic to his situation and public opinion will be on his side. If Spirit refunded his ticket they would be making themselves vulnerable to civil litigation. It would be setting a terrible precedent.

Their policy is no refunds, ever, for any reason. (For a non-refundable ticket) That seems a bit harsh for a terminally Ill person who's doctor ordered him not to fly. Sometimes just showing an ounce of compassion may occasionally shine a positive light on this ********************bag industry.

I agree, but I'm sure the beancounters have weighed the cost of an ounce of compassion and decided it's not worth the pound of goodwill it might yield.

I special ordered some car parts and ended up not needing them. 450 dollars worth. Their policy is no returns for special ordered parts.

Should they have refunded my money if I was in this persons shoes?

What part of "Non Refundable" are you not comprehending? This happens at every airline every day. Where is the outrage at the other carriers?

As a veteran I am sympathetic to his situation and public opinion will be on his side. If Spirit refunded his ticket they would be making themselves vulnerable to civil litigation. It would be setting a terrible precedent.

This kinda crap is part of what is so wrong with the world today. The HUMAN response should be to just give he old guy his money back and let him go die in peace. The lawyers and bean counters have everything so ********************ed up that showing any kind of human compassion or merely deviating from corporate policy can get you sued.

Can you transfer the name of the ticket? There could be a niche market out there for re-selling tickets if they would allow you to transfer them when you can't travel for some reason.

Can you transfer the name of the ticket? There could be a niche market out there for re-selling tickets if they would allow you to transfer them when you can't travel for some reason.

I think the Tub Stacking Authority/Too Stupid for Arby's/Toiletries and Shoes Army would throw a penalty flag immediately.

This kinda crap is part of what is so wrong with the world today. The HUMAN response should be to just give he old guy his money back and let him go die in peace. The lawyers and bean counters have everything so ********************ed up that showing any kind of human compassion or merely deviating from corporate policy can get you sued.

I am not well versed on the legalities of providing a refund on a non-refundable ticket and there might be legtimate concerns for Sprirt in that regard.

I cannot imagine this issue will cause Spirit any harm in the market place as I guess they are used on a pure cost basis by their customers. If there were any fallout, a reduction of a few bucks on tickets in select markets would most likely ramp up demand and offset any "boycott" activity.

I'm a veteran and have spent a good number of hours in the cockpit and around tables at Veteran Hospitals with Vietnam vets. I have a bias and one hell of a soft spot for a guy like this; not to mention the young souls who have survived ground ops in our most recent wars.

If I were the CEO of Spirit Airlines, I would make arrangements to meet with this man with no publicity allowed. Once there, I would express my sympathy for his medical condition, thank him from the bottom of my heart for his service to this nation and write him my personal check to compensate him for his ticket purchase which can longer be used.

Might not be a reasonable thing to do, even outside any capacity as an officer of the corporation. I understand this might be the kind of thing that happens on a regular basis and would be difficult if not impossible for a given CEO to manage without being overwhelmed.

I still believe it would be a good and decent act, maybe worth the risk. Of course as I said, I have my bias when it comes to vets. If this were a construction worker from Peoria, I am not sure I would have the same reaction.

I special ordered some car parts and ended up not needing them. 450 dollars worth. Their policy is no returns for special ordered parts.

Should they have refunded my money if I was in this persons shoes?

Spirit's situation is even more clear-cut than your example. They are selling a perishable commodity. That's what so many people are missing. You are purchasing the rights to a seat on a specific flight at a specific time. When you purchase that ticket, the airline can't sell it to someone else (beyond a small percentage of intentional overbooking). If you don't show up for the flight, it takes the same amount of gas to move that seat, which is a loss if a refund is given and nobody fills the seat.

You're not purchasing the right to travel anywhere, anytime; you are buying something that only exists for a short period of time, and if you don't use it, it can't be sold to someone else. It's like trying to return a gallon of milk after it goes bad, saying that your doctor advised you to stop drinking milk. Should the store give you a refund, now that you prevented it from being sold to someone else?

Latest resources

Back