I thought riding on airline could not get any worse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and who, pray tell, gave him that idea?

Not that it matters - those who can afford private jet travel will pay whatever it takes to avoid the airlines. I would too if i could afford it.

Riiiight, more seats, less legroom, surely FA"s, overcrowded overheads, no more ontime departures or arrivals, long lines at checkin, long times to wait for baggage, cancellations....

Should I continue?

Not really sure what you mean. Other than United and AA's economy plus seating going bye bye, most airlines have maintained or increased the legroom.

I know MD-80s used to seat 161 pax at most airlines, now they only have 150 seats in the US, and Midwest Airlines has only 132 seats in some of theirs.
I'm can't speak for all other airplane types, but I'm almost 6' 2" and 260 lbs and I have absolutely no problem with the legroom in most airlines. In fact it's only the seat width that bothers me most, especially in RJ's. Overcrowded overheads are the fault of the passengers, not the airlines; they surely haven't decreased the size of the overhead bins and they haven't increased allowable size of carryons.

Ontime departures and arrivals change constantly, some years are better, some are worse. The same goes for lost luggage. Since I was a ticket agent for CAL in 2000, most airlines have voluntarily raised their liability for lost luggage from $1500 to over $2500. In the 1990's it used to be less than $1000.
Check-in line wait times have decreased significantly too thanks to online check-in and e-ticket kiosks.

Ticket prices have also decreased significantly from 10 years ago. They're just now starting to increase again.
I'm sure some of the FA's are surly, but I can't really blame them when you have pax complaining all day long for no good reason.

I've found that most passengers will complain about anything when it comes to the airlines, even if there's no basis for it.

Last edited:
Check-in line wait times have decreased significantly too thanks to online check-in and e-ticket kiosks.

Yep right up until you have a problem with your ticket or the machines are down. Then you're effed in the A trying to get an actual human to help you out.

Biz jets are quieter than 121 jets.

Doesn't matter. Proximity to the noisemaker matters. Know of any curfews that affect bizjets at non-121 airports?

On the last point... not as long as money calls the shots and last I checked... money calls the shots.

Actually, We The People call the shots (I looked it up!). That means SMO can pass an ordinance restricting bizjets regardless of how loudly the "money" was talking. That means states can pile-on taxes and fees...and it means people squawking about "rich folk" not getting wanded at Signature is going to result in you barefoot and grumbling on your way to work.

Don't think for a second the ATA and other groups aren't aware of what's happening.

That means SMO can pass an ordinance restricting bizjets regardless of how loudly the "money" was talking.

They can pass all the ordinances they want. That doesn't mean they'll keep their restrictions. Unfortunately for the City of Santa Monica, they ate from the public trough of FAA Airport Improvement Funds. The acceptance of these funds came with performance guarantees - one is the public access to the aiport for a fixed period of time (25 years?). Also, the city is attempting to couch a noise issue in a safety restriction - basically mixing apples and oranges. I don't believe the city will prevail in the short term.

Don't think for a second the ATA and other groups aren't aware of what's happening.

Oh, they're certainly all part of the well orchestrated attack on general aviation. The legacy carriers have failed to properly manage their business for decades. They're not getting the windfall they'd like from the government, so why not attack the (perceived) deep pockets? It doesn't matter whether or not user fees would equitable in the overall picture of air travel. This user fee debate is right out of the liberals playbook of legalizing wealth transfer, and unfairly imposing taxes.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter. Proximity to the noisemaker matters. Know of any curfews that affect bizjets at non-121 airports?
This is true, turbo-props can and have set these off before.

Actually, We The People call the shots (I looked it up!).
Yes we do! (Right after Corporate America which is dumping millions into lobbying efforts for their interests)

That means SMO can pass an ordinance restricting bizjets regardless of how loudly the "money" was
Not when they're receiving federal money. Yes, SMO did pass an ordinance, but the FAA got a court ordered injunction to block it.

Razor, your insight here is priceless. But you're really needed back over on the Majors board. Not that you're wanted anywhere.

Latest resources

Back