• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I need some serious advice guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wait just a second fellas. ToiletDuck joined this forum yesterday just days after Rhoid/the guat/top gun mav/etc was banned. And here he is stirring the Kool Aid about PFT all over again.

I think I smell a rat.

BluDevAv8r said:
If it makes you feel any better, there are tons of 22 year old new hires flying regional jets who didn't have to go to Gulfstream first.
Well said. And, these new-hires did not buy their interviews or jobs.

You titled this thread, Mr. Duck, "I need some serious advice." You are receiving it, though it may not be what you hoped you'd see.

though it may not be waht you hoped you'd see.
It's exactly what I wanted to see. I'm tired of people that go to these places telling me it's great and people that just "hear through the grapevine" telling me it isn't the best but with no reason why. This is great stuff.

Wait just a second fellas. ToiletDuck joined this forum yesterday just days after Rhoid/the guat/top gun mav/etc was banned. And here he is stirring the Kool Aid about PFT all over again.

Who are you to come in and jack my thread? I smell someone that assumes which we know what that all does. Someone linked these forums from aviationforum.org so i hopped over to check it out.

bobbysamd said:
Well said. And, these new-hires did not buy their interviews or jobs.

You titled this thread, Mr. Duck, "I need some serious advice." You are receiving it, though it may not be what you hoped you'd see.

Sometimes people say that they are asking for advice but really what they are asking for is some form of reassurance from the masses in order to rationalize a decision that has already been made (or subconsciously made). Also...what is it they say? "Don't ask the question unless you are prepared to hear the answer."

With that said, that may or may not be the case with Toiletduck. Just more 2 cents, which is worthless.

-Neal

Cost of advice? Priceless - or worthless

ToiletDuck said:
lots of pennies add up. And I appreciate them all :)
As BluDevAv8r observed, it is all .02 advice, but coming from a cross-section of experience and backgrounds. And, again, it may not be what you expected to read.

I learned from my aviation experiences that it is important to consider each decision and each move carefully, starting from the moment one decides to pursue the career. It's important to look at the overall picture and plan several moves ahead. It's hard to recover from bad aviation career decisions, simply because of the hoardes of well-qualified pilots vying for very few jobs. Aviation is not like other careers, where recovery from mistakes is easier.

Good luck with however you proceed. And, please, consider the advice you have received about instructing seriously.

Type rating

ToiletDuck said:
Also I see these courses available to get your type ratings such as the banner at the top. Waste of money, somethig to get burned in the town square for, or worth getting if possible?
I would not, at this time. A type rating won't help you unless you have real time in the airplane. I got my CE-500 because I thought it would help me land a regional job. I figured it would show that I have learned crew concepts, turbine equipment, and can be typed. Also at that time, American Eagle was giving sim rides in a Citation sim. I spent a great week earning the rating in Carlsbad, California, but the only help it might have given me was getting some senior flight instructing jobs. I had an American Eagle interview, but the sim was much different than the airplane.

You might consider earning a B737 type when you have built enough experience to qualify for SWA, but that's a long ways away. In the meantime, you might get jobs where companies will pay for your type ratings. Earning one's ratings on the employer's nickel is the way to go.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back