I need some serious advice guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ToiletDuck said:
As you said paying the bills or not paying the bills.... In long term which earns you a seat faster? Multi or single time? Which investment of time will payoff more? I'm not standing up for the schools but I understand why they exist and how they can be beneficail. Mommy and Daddy don't pay any bills but they do pay for training. And if a school like that is my only other way then I'll take out a loan and go there. I do consider myself fortunate to be able to go should I need to. And like everyone else when a good opportunity shows itself it would be foolish not to take advantage of it.

I didn't go to Baylor nor did I go to Gulfstream but since I added some thread drift above, I will add my 2 cents on this subject as well, which is more or less worthless anyways. Gulfstream is the only airline in the world that has 20 paying passengers on its 1900's. If you want to fly a 1900 so badly, get 600 hours total time and Colgan or Great Lakes will hire you no problem.

But to get those extra 350 hours, do it in an honorable way...by flight instructing, banner tow, traffic watch, etc. I vote for instructing. It is a great way to build CRM skills as well as confidence. Don't forget that while you earn that $10 per hour (and your buddies are instructing making $15-45 per hour), you (or someone that loves you) forked over a further $30,000 for that right seat time, so you are behind financially from the get go....so comparing the $10 per hour to the $14 per hour isn't really apples to apples.

Plus...you'll feel better about yourself in the end. If it makes you feel any better, there are tons of 22 year old new hires flying regional jets who didn't have to go to Gulfstream first.

-Neal

ToiletDuck said:
As you said paying the bills or not paying the bills.... In long term which earns you a seat faster? Multi or single time? Which investment of time will payoff more? I'm not standing up for the schools but I understand why they exist and how they can be beneficail. Mommy and Daddy don't pay any bills but they do pay for training. And if a school like that is my only other way then I'll take out a loan and go there. I do consider myself fortunate to be able to go should I need to. And like everyone else when a good opportunity shows itself it would be foolish not to take advantage of it.

wrong thread sorry

Last edited:
Flechas said:
Same here, although I don't get to fly those very often.
By the way Neal, who builds the brackets, ToiletDuck?

No, Christian makes them. I love mine. I know there is one other guy who makes one also, but his isn't coated in rubber, which I like about Christian's. Plus, he was in my new hire class back in 2000 so I wanted to throw him some love. Of course, he was one of the senior old farts in the class and I was the junior beeotch.

-Neal

I bought his too, like it a lot, and I think it's wider than the other.
I flew with Olav this month, he was in your class too.

Flechas said:
I bought his too, like it a lot, and I think it's wider than the other.
I flew with Olav this month, he was in your class too.

Yep...Olav is a great guy. He was one of the first low time hires since he came from the internal ranks...with something like 600 hours. He did great in training and I always love chatting with him.

-Neal

BluDevAv8r said:
Yep...Olav is a great guy. He was one of the first low time hires since he came from the internal ranks...with something like 600 hours. He did great in training and I always love chatting with him.

-Neal

Agree, he's a great guy and an exelent captain.

You made one bad choice, you can still fix it - dont throw it ALL away.

So far the only choices I've made was A)Going to Baylor University and majoring in Aviation Sciences and B)Posting here to find out what everyone else has done and find the opinions on options out there. Dont' get mad because I mentioned the schools name. I did so to hear about them and that's exactly what I'm doing. My mind isn't made up in the least yet.

ToiletDuck said:
So far the only choices I've made was A)Going to Baylor University and majoring in Aviation Sciences and B)Posting here to find out what everyone else has done and find the opinions on options out there. Dont' get mad because I mentioned the schools name. I did so to hear about them and that's exactly what I'm doing. My mind isn't made up in the least yet.

Baylor was a great choice. We used to lay over at ACT and I enjoyed Crickets quite a bit. :D Majoring in aviation science is great...but I would have added a second BA in economics, history, finance, basketweaving, etc. Your next step should be to get an MEI if you don't already have it and go find a good flight school to build time at...preferably in a warm weather area where you will fly more.

-Neal

Yes the way things are looking I might try around the houston area. I grew up in a small town not far from there called El Campo where my father farms. Be nice to go work on the ranch when I'm not flying. I don't care for Waco too much. i was wanting to get a BA in something else however all of my calculus classes and such won't transfer and I'd be required to take all those classes over. Our dept won't let anything substitude. I'm already required to do 150hrs as is.

Latest resources

Back