I need some serious advice guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fly_Chick said:
You will typically need 500 hours to be hired for cargo, and that is usually single engine time.

1000 hours to be competitive.

500 TT to fly cargo? Maybe if you want to be a gear bee-atch in a Beech 99, and pay to be there.

You need: 135.243(c)

ToiletDuck said:
$10 there flying TurboProps or $14 instructing flying 152's... hrm.

Paying the bills, not paying the bills hmmm....

Unless mommy and daddy are taking care of that, and even then, those who do PFT are a disgrace to the industry. Do you realize how abad this industry is? Pilots taking paycuts everywhere, we are showing management how easy we bend over when they ask us to.

As you said paying the bills or not paying the bills.... In long term which earns you a seat faster? Multi or single time? Which investment of time will payoff more? I'm not standing up for the schools but I understand why they exist and how they can be beneficail. Mommy and Daddy don't pay any bills but they do pay for training. And if a school like that is my only other way then I'll take out a loan and go there. I do consider myself fortunate to be able to go should I need to. And like everyone else when a good opportunity shows itself it would be foolish not to take advantage of it.

P-f-t

Gulfstream does not operate its ab initio school anymore;
ToiletDuck said:
What do you mean by this? I know two people who are there now.
I understood you to be asking about instructing Part 61/141 students at Gulfstream and not enrolling in its pay-for-training opeation.

Ab initio means training students "from the beginning," i.e. zero time. Gulfstream used to operate a Part 61 flight school that trained students from the beginning for their Commercial-Instrument-Multis. It no longer operates that school.
Whoring oneself? Why do you see it as that? You're paying for training just like I am now.
At the moment, you are paying for education and flight training for your cetificates. P-F-T is an employment issue. As a condition of being hired, you agree to give the company money to pay for the training it is obligated by regulation to provide you. Such training is a cost of doing business, but companies that are P-F-T figure they can find enough people who are so desperate to be pilots that they'll pay for their training. P-F-T is, therefore, buying a job.

P-F-T is an abusive practice that hurts other pilots, because the paid-for jobs are required by regulation and would otherwise be filled by hired employees. P-F-T "pilots" take away those jobs. Pilots who worked hard to achieve their goals strongly resent those who try to end-run the system.

Aside from that, you need to understand that piloting is still just a job. It is embarassing and humiliating to most people to grovel in front of an employer by buying a job - especially a job that can be had for free if one is patient and builds the experience needed to qualify for that job.
And if it gets you in the cockpit of something that's awesome . . . .
. . . and, of course, fun. Yeah, everyone wants to fly something awesome.

That comment alone shows that you missed the point, above, about aviation being work. Once more, piloting, while enjoyable and interesting, is still work. There comes a time in life when one has to grow up and work, even in jobs that might not be fun but can lead to better things. Just think about it. Finally,
I do consider myself fortunate to be able to go should I need to. And like everyone else when a good opportunity shows itself it would be foolish not to take advantage of it.
Real airlines have interview boards made up of pilots, most of whom, again, resent those such as P-F-Ters who try to end-run the system. If you P-F-T and get to an interview, your background will emerge, and the pilots about whom I just wrote just might blackball you. Is P-F-Ting still a good opportunity? You probably won't listen, but you have been warned.

Last edited:
chcook said:
From one Baylor Alumn (Dec '93) to another....

Christian Cook
www.jeppbracket.com

I'd be happy to chat with you. Let me know anytime you have some questions.
[email protected]

Yea...but you're an old fart Christian. :D

By the way, thanks for the Jepp bracket - its great. I still haven't figured out how to get it to work in the new birds with the super duper sunshades. Ideas?

...sorry for the thread drift.

-Neal

BluDevAv8r said:
Yea...but you're an old fart Christian. :D

By the way, thanks for the Jepp bracket - its great. I still haven't figured out how to get it to work in the new birds with the super duper sunshades. Ideas?

...sorry for the thread drift.

-Neal

Same here, although I don't get to fly those very often.
By the way Neal, who builds the brackets, ToiletDuck?

Fly jumpers in 182's, that's how I got my start. It's a lot of take offs, landings and pattern work.

Latest resources

Back