Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Instructing

ToiletDuck said:
I just didn't want to flight instruct. At least not where I'm at now. I was thinking of a flight school like maybe GulfStream in Florida or something like that? What do you guys think?
Gulfstream does not operate its ab initio school anymore; in any event, you need to revisit your position on instructing.

Flight instructing is the easiest entry-level job obtainable. Your other options are things like banner towing, which every 250-hour pilot "who does not want to flight instruct" is trying to obtain. And, there are plenty of 250-hour pilots in that category. Further, you need to revisit your idea about not instructing at your school. It would be an ideal situation because you know the school, people, program and airplanes.

So many new pilots don't want to be flight instructors, probably because it means a temporary end to having their hands on the controls all the time, meaning the fun is over and now they have to work. No one is saying you have to be an instructor forever, but, if you can get an instructing job now, you will be building hours and experience instead of being unemployed.

You absolutely cannot beat the valuable experience you'll get from flight instructing! I highly recommend it. And to reitereate what the others have said, it's about the only thing that will be available to you right now, with your current hours. Do that for at least a while, then the 135 doors will open.

Houston and Dallas are great areas for instructing. Check out Cliff Hyde flying Service in Ellington, Houston. They are affiliated with San Jacinto College and there is no shortage of work. The college does all the ground school, so most of what the instructors do is fly. It was truly hard work, but in hind-sight, the experience was terrific! They worked by butt off, which was good for time and pay.

From one Baylor Alumn (Dec '93) to another....

Christian Cook
www.jeppbracket.com

I'd be happy to chat with you. Let me know anytime you have some questions.
[email protected]

Look into banner tows. My friend did it and then moved into a Citation afterwards. Plus, if you tow along the coast, you get to live in/near very scenic areas. Before the last hurricane, I used to see the banner towers buzzing all over the beach. I did a search once in North West Florida, and found a guy that would hire me (with my low fixed wing time) if I got my tow rating thru him.

Good luck.

Gulfstream does not operate its ab initio school anymore;
What do you mean by this? I know two people who are there now.

Go somewhere else then dude, but you came to the wrong place if you want support to go to GIA or any other PFT outfit.

Why's there such a lack of support of academies?

Join the military.

I seriously have thought about it. However, my father was Special Forces Marine Corps and both him and my mother have reinforced their opinions on going there after attending a private university and spending cash on the flight program.

No it doen't come out cheaper, first you have to pay fpr your ratings, which is ok, and then you have to pay to fly passengers, which is not ok. You should be payd for the service you are providing. When you are getting your ratings you are paying for the service the instructor is providing you, that's the difference.

Latest resources

Back