• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I can't flight instruct

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No need for name calling, that's rude and immature. If you would have read my last post a couple posts up, you might have a little more information to go on.

Cramer,
i completley understand where you are coming from and everything these guys are telling you is right on. When i got my CFI in college.....i can garauntee you that I was more nervous than my students on my first few flights.....trust me when i say confidence is key. If you dont have confidence in yourself your students wont have confidence in you. Thats where you can get yourself into trouble. With that being said, I can honestly say that I learned more in 2 years of flight instructing than I ever did as a student in flight Training. More importantly than that....there were times when i thought i was ready to go to the airlines at 400 or 450 hours (this is not a slap at you)...BOY WAS I WRONG!....the learning curve in a 121 training program is simply too high for some people at that expirience level....not too much for all but it sure was for me....you sound like a competent guy just by the things your saying here on this thread....i think youd be surprised....go try the CFI thing for awhile....it can only help....youll thank yourself in the long run....you are waaaaay more marketable to a regional with a descent amount of dual given and multi time than you are flying banners around at 80 knots in a pacer. If you instruct for awhile and get your confidence, expirience and knowledge base up...then start shooting out those resumes..youll see good things....GOOD LUCK!

I spent 11,000$ on a lear type to get out of flight instructing. It was my unused college money. Worked out well. Lear type is the best out there, covers the 20,30 and 50 series jets, so there are TONS of planes out there to fly with 1 type.

Good post snap!! I agree 100%

Now just wait. There will be a 300 hour wonder saying "yeah, I will learn so much spending 1000 hours in the pattern in a 152" No way man.

What people don't realize is that instructing is also what YOU make it. An old timer once told me :

"you can fly 1000 hours of valuable, experience-building time......or you can fly the same 1 hour 1000 times"

It is VERRRY true. If you just sit there and drone along in silence in the pattern as your student repeatedly slams the plane on the ground, you will get nothing. If you truly want people to succeed and try to be a unique, good instructor, you will be rewarded with great skills and experience.

If you have done it you know what I am talking about. If not, you probably think you are ready for the jet NOW NOW NOW give it to me NOW!

this is the most ridiculous post i had ever seen. my friend, your flight instructing gig pays you more per hour than the regional job when you factor in your duty time. the average salary for an fo once you factor in the 12 hour duty day is about $6/hr. i know plety of regional pilots that miss the flight instructing job. enjoy it, learn, its a good place and a true test if you have the heart for this industry, believe me, wait until you have to get a day off at the regionals, its called a scheduled sick day because you can't be honest that you have to take you kid to the doctor. so if you think times and money is tight now, see how commuting as a reserve line holder for 1 yr or 2 and that $6/hr will look more like $4/hr.

BIG CLUE::::: if you want the money this is not the job for you, avg college grad starts at 36K saw it published last week, our work week exceeds 4o hrs.

good luck
don't mean to be an A__ __ but i think a lot of guys will agree with me

Everyone who has typed something positive about instructing is absolutely right. If I could quote this whole board in this one post, I'd have something to say about each point. I'm now a regional pilot, but instructing was one of best experiences of my life. I made friends (both students and fellow instructors) as well as contacts. If I didn't leave my instructing job for my FO job, I probably would be flying "part-time" in the right seat of a citation by now. But noooo, I had to try the airline thing out, and to be honest, it's fun but only for so long.

I smile when I watch a Single Engine aircraft takeoff. I just wish I could get in and spin the heck out of it sometimes, or just take a student on their first flight and give them a smooth ride meandaring across the countryside. It's the freedom and flexibility of the job(part 61 of course) that makes it great.

check6 said:
Everyone who has typed something positive about instructing is absolutely right. If I could quote this whole board in this one post, I'd have something to say about each point. I'm now a regional pilot, but instructing was one of best experiences of my life. I made friends (both students and fellow instructors) as well as contacts. If I didn't leave my instructing job for my FO job, I probably would be flying "part-time" in the right seat of a citation by now. But noooo, I had to try the airline thing out, and to be honest, it's fun but only for so long.

I smile when I watch a Single Engine aircraft takeoff. I just wish I could get in and spin the heck out of it sometimes, or just take a student on their first flight and give them a smooth ride meandaring across the countryside. It's the freedom and flexibility of the job(part 61 of course) that makes it great.

AMEN, Dats my point

Latest resources

Back