• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I can't flight instruct

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It does take some practice. Your first student will probably not get as much from you as your later ones. But remember, to a student with 5 hours, you are a sky god. Just don't make stuff up if you don't know it. Say "I don't know" and look it up with your student. Follow a syllabus and you'll be fine. I thought I would be terrible also, but turned out to be a pretty good instructor. It was a very rewarding and great learning experience for me.

One of my friends BOUGHT a 172 and hung flyers around lots of airports wanting to split time in it for $40.00/hour. He was swamped with people wanting to fly with him. Since he was an instructor, he logged PIC and the "other" guy logged PIC sole manipulator received. Just like at ATP.

While I was doing endless loops in the pattern, and going to the same 5 airports every day, he was criss-crossing the country, logging real time in the ATC system learning about weather, etc. Then he sold it for more than he bought it for. Not a bad deal. He built all his time that way. If I had the resources, I might consider that track.

Good luck and don't worry. Enjoy whatever you do

dcramer16 said:
Ok, this is all great advice. I had an instructor that didn't give a s**t about how much I knew or didn't know, all he cared about was his hours. He hated instructing but did it because there was no other way to build hours. I felt very let down. I just don't want to do that to someone else. If I did instruct I would bust my a$$, but I don't want my lack of teaching skills (not lack of knowlege) to ruin a student. I know my stuff, VERY WELL. I am very confident as a pilot, just not confident as a teacher.

My question is how do you know you're not a good teacher????

If you've never taught, then you don't know. Teaching, much like flying and sex is something that's learned over time. It is very common for new instructors to over or under teach their first few students....just the name of the game. I know a few people with the same mindset that you have. They got their instructor's licenses and ended up being some of the best damn instructors i've ever seen.

I say give it a shot. You may be good at it. If you get tired of it, or are really bad enough to get your license yanked (which takes a lot, by the way), then you have many other roads to explore. Instructing is probably one of the easiest entry level flying jobs to get into with very little experience.

If you're as motivated as you say you are, then I doubt you'll have a problem.

Oh, and what sleddriver said about captains being instructors is very very true. Instructing teaches patience and observance. I have flown with a couple of captains that never instructed. They possessed neither of these traits. It really sucked, because instead of treating me like a professional pilot who knows what I'm doing, these captains spent all their time ordering me around because they weren't familiar with my flying techniques. They weren't comfortable enough in their own skin to relinquish a little bit of control and see what happens.

I say get your instructor licenses and give it a shot....the banner tow season's almost up anyway. :beer: :pimp:

COOPERVANE, you should be flogged for that avatar. Is that your flavor? It's so horrible I can't...stop...looking...at...it.

Back on topic, definitely admit when you don't know something. It shows most students it's OK even when you've got lots of hours that they shouldn't be afraid to look things up. That reiterates my statement that you'll learn as much from your students as they will from you. I wouldn't change my instructing time for any other route.

Cheers

COOPERVANE said:
You don't like my girlfriend?

of course I do...there's plenty to go around :pimp:

When I was an F/O I could almost always tell if the captain had spent any time as an instructor. It'll help you out immensely in the left seat.

dcramer16 said:
I DON'T WANT TO FLIGHT INSTRUCT.
NOBODY EVER WANTS TO FLIGHT INSTRUCT. Don't use the excuse "I'm not good at it" either. Sounds like yet another example of how everyone wants to be cut loose to fly commercial with 200 hours. If you can wing that rare Citation or King Air right seat gig, more power to you. But just suck it up and make the most of the exposure. I'd hire a low-time flight instructor over a low-time gear swinger anyday. They're usually more confident and also display a certain level of maturity.

Aerosurfer said:
BANNER TOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fun Flying in a taildragger and quick hours most instructors could only dream of (750 hours in 6 months) Plus it builds great stick and rudder skills!!!
And quite boring, you will never want to fly after that.

look...some people are NOT cut out to teach...period...end of story.

kuddos to this guy for realizing that and not wanting to dump a bunch of mediocre students in the system with just enough knowledge to pass the dam test.

think back to your own training, ill guarantee you knew (probably personally) of at LEAST one CFI who we all knew shouldnt have been there. ill also guarantee you at least KNEW of one CFI who thouroughly enjoyed his (or her) job...and probably learned more from the latter in 5 minutes than in 3 days with the former.

i dont think we talking about the type of person that thinks of themselves "bigger" than instructing. this is merely knowing yourself well enough to realize you arent cut out for it.

dont get me wrong, IT AINT EASY!!! there will be many roadblocks along the way, many jobs denied because you dont have the CFI rating. many chances for advancement denied because you dont have a CFI.

but, it can be done...trust me :cool:

Thanks KINGAIRYAHOO, it seems like you're the only one that knows what I'm talking about. Thanks everyone else too. I didn't know it was common for new instructors to feel "inadequate". After reading all your responses, I think it would be a good idea to try it out and see if I get better at it. What the heck, if I'm not good at it, then I can look into other options. If I get better at it, all the better. But what about when I'm trying it out? While I am finding out I'm not good at teaching, am I also messing up another student? "Sorry you didn't pass your checkrides, at least now I know I'm not a good instuctor. Just buy more time and do it all over again."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back