Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hawkerflyer said:
NOBODY EVER WANTS TO FLIGHT INSTRUCT...

I'll go out here on a limb and say that I honestly enjoy instructing. I never did, and still don't picture myself as a stellar CFI, but as has been mentioned by others already, after the first 100-ish hours of dual given, things started to fall into place and it began to feel like any other job I'd ever had...except I was being paid to fly!!! The teaching really does get better the more you do it, and you really start learning about flying when you have to teach someone else how to do it. Whatever route you end up choosing, good luck, but I'd recommend going the CFI route to anyone that's asking.

I always enjoyed instructing but I guess it's not for everyone.

If you are that determined not to do the CFI thing, then fork over the money and buy your multiengine time somewhere like ATP or Gulfstream. You'll miss out on a lot of good stuff by not instructing, but on the other hand you'll probably get to the right seat of an airliner a lot sooner. Whatever works for you.

pgcfii2002 said:
COOPERVANE said:
It does take some practice. Your first student will probably not get as much from you as your later ones. But remember, to a
One of my friends BOUGHT a 172 and hung flyers around lots of airports wanting to split time in it for $40.00/hour. He was swamped with people wanting to fly with him. Since he was an instructor, he logged PIC and the "other" guy logged PIC sole manipulator received. Just like at ATP.

Is that legal????

Is it LEGAL for a flight instructor to log PIC? I hope so, I have 1500 given. Did my private/Commercial students log PIC while I was instructing them? I hope so.

What did you log with your intructor? SIC?

TRAFFIC WATCH, the most fun I had flying airplanes 1000 feet agl at the highest. Dodging helicopters, flying 5 days a week for about 30 hours.

You need to instruct. You got the license...your already there...the school knows you and it will help you develope as a pilot.

If you want to learn something.............teach it. I did. For three years, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It was the best learning experience, and I mean that.

Also, I thought I was done instructing when I got hired to fly for a regional. I was............until I upgraded. When I made captain, I was instructing all over again. That's the way it is, and having been a CFI (with all the bells and whistles) helped a hell of a lot.

Do it.

AF :cool:

BTW..........some of my best flying stories are from my CFI days...........

I have had a lot of great advice today, thanks everyone. As I said in one of my earlier posts, I had no idea that what I am feeling, every new flight instructor goes through. I also said in one of my posts that I would love to flight instruct as long as some student wasn't getting screwed in the process...lol Seems like the general thought is everyone should at least try it, and you never know, I might surprise myself. Thanks for the advice today, I'll put in my resume.

The few dual I have given has been a blast...and hope to return at some point next year.

Just the fact that he is doubting and evalutating himself, tells me he is gonna be a good instructor.

Forget about the Forest Service dude, you need ATP mins to do those jobs even on a contract basis. I know I used to do it.

Getting on with the Goverment is even harder, I have been trying with the USFS for years and I have 4000hrs 2900 multi and 2200 PIC and contract experience and I can't get in.

TEACH.....you will be fine...

One thing you need to do is stopping being a little girl. You think the first time I fly a jet I was like that was easy or my first CATII or my first emergency. Or the first time a captian screwed up. It is all about experience, and screwing up a few students, you will find that most students are screwed up before you get them, so you probably can not do much more damage.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back