I can't flight instruct

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
COOPERVANE said:
It does take some practice. Your first student will probably not get as much from you as your later ones. But remember, to a
One of my friends BOUGHT a 172 and hung flyers around lots of airports wanting to split time in it for $40.00/hour. He was swamped with people wanting to fly with him. Since he was an instructor, he logged PIC and the "other" guy logged PIC sole manipulator received. Just like at ATP.

Is that legal????

dcramer16 said:
Thanks KINGAIRYAHOO, it seems like you're the only one that knows what I'm talking about. Thanks everyone else too. I didn't know it was common for new instructors to feel "inadequate". After reading all your responses, I think it would be a good idea to try it out and see if I get better at it. What the heck, if I'm not good at it, then I can look into other options. If I get better at it, all the better. But what about when I'm trying it out? While I am finding out I'm not good at teaching, am I also messing up another student? "Sorry you didn't pass your checkrides, at least now I know I'm not a good instuctor. Just buy more time and do it all over again."
I would have to believe that pretty much sums it up for all of us. The first 100 hours of dual given are as much a learning experience for you as your student.

As far as being a good instructor, remember back to those instructors you didn't get along with, don't be like them. Make sure you know your stuff, don't be afraid to drag out the FAR/AIM in front of your students. It makes you human and not above them in their eyes.

Not many us wanted to instruct, but I gave quite a few hours of dual and signed off a bunch for check rides. Had a 93% pass rate and and more than a few students request me. I hated instructing but I put 110% into it. As far as I am concerned, it resulted in me learning much of myself and of others. One of the greatest things I learned was, everybody makes the same mistakes over and over. As much as they push CRM in airlines now, you know dang good and well, if those guys did it and got killed, I am just as likely to if I don't take this stuff to heart. very good life lesson that applies everywhere to include marriage. *cough*

Good luck on the instruction, it can be very rewarding overall to yourself in knowledge of aviation and more importantly, people.

dcramer16 said:
Ok, this is all great advice. I had an instructor that didn't give a s**t about how much I knew or didn't know, all he cared about was his hours. He hated instructing but did it because there was no other way to build hours. I felt very let down. I just don't want to do that to someone else. If I did instruct I would bust my a$$, but I don't want my lack of teaching skills (not lack of knowlege) to ruin a student. I know my stuff, VERY WELL. I am very confident as a pilot, just not confident as a teacher.

Thats how I was... I was and am a good pilot but I hated instructing and just did it to build time. Costed my students tons of extra time and money. I figured out the worse they did the more we flew. Ditch your morals.

(Kidding)

Everyone feels like you do at first. The Forest Service pilots that spot fires and do ecological observations normally have 1000+ hours... More than most RJ FO's atleast. Banner towing is a brainless job and recruiters know it. Unless you can get hooked up with a charter gig or cloud seading operation there really isn't a good job out there for you with 250ish hours besides instructing.

Last edited:
ERJFO said:
Thats how I was... I was and am a good pilot but I hated instructing and just did it to build time. Costed my students tons of extra time and money. I figured out the worse they did the more we flew. Ditch your morals.

Thats terrible. No seriously, thats really bad. You sound like my last instuctor.

dcramer16 said:
Thanks KINGAIRYAHOO, it seems like you're the only one that knows what I'm talking about. Thanks everyone else too. I didn't know it was common for new instructors to feel "inadequate". After reading all your responses, I think it would be a good idea to try it out and see if I get better at it. What the heck, if I'm not good at it, then I can look into other options. If I get better at it, all the better. But what about when I'm trying it out? While I am finding out I'm not good at teaching, am I also messing up another student? "Sorry you didn't pass your checkrides, at least now I know I'm not a good instuctor. Just buy more time and do it all over again."

dcramer...it sounds like you're dead set on failing as an instructor...so I have changed my opinion. Go fly traffic watch, tow banners, or find a gig flying circles around the grand canyon. An instructor is only as good as he wants to be and it doesn't sound like you want to be a good instructor. Good luck with your endeavors......:pimp:

indianboy7 said:
If you've never taught, then you don't know..... I know a few people with the same mindset that you have. They got their instructor's licenses and ended up being some of the best dang instructors i've ever seen.

Oh, and what sleddriver said about captains being instructors is very very true. Instructing teaches patience and observance. I have flown with a couple of captains that never instructed. They possessed neither of these traits. It really sucked, because instead of treating me like a professional pilot who knows what I'm doing, these captains spent all their time ordering me around because they weren't familiar with my flying techniques. They weren't comfortable enough in their own skin to relinquish a little bit of control and see what happens.

A big +1

I was a very reluctant CFI, FO that saw the good bad and ugly, airline captain, and line check airman. I don't like to talk much, so I extrapolated that that made me a bad instructor. Groaned most mornings as I rolled out of bed to go do 5 more intro flights and explain VORs. But I gave it my all, made some (read: bunches of) mistakes but me and my students learned a heck of alot. Had more than a few students comment on the quality/enjoyment of instruction. Every time I heard that I was blown away, cause I felt like I was struggling big time, and not meeting my ideal of the perfect instructor. Apply and devote yourself to it, and you'll be amazed with the results. Incidentally, a few years down the road I've discovered that nearly my whole life revolves around teaching, whether flying the line, doing IOE, helping FOs prepare for upgrade, working with kids at church, running a study group, teaching the girlfriend to drive a clutch, you name it. It'll make you a better person, as well as a better pilot.

Last edited:
i can agree with this...

indianboy7 said:
Instructing teaches patience and observance.

...but not this...

indianboy7 said:
I have flown with a couple of captains that never instructed. They possessed neither of these traits. It really sucked, because instead of treating me like a professional pilot who knows what I'm doing, these captains spent all their time ordering me around because they weren't familiar with my flying techniques. They weren't comfortable enough in their own skin to relinquish a little bit of control and see what happens.

...all of those traits can be attributed to a big ego'd ex-CFI just as easily ;)

I don't know. For me it was more of a drive to be in the right seat, because my first instructor (a fat slob in his mid-30s) just didn't give a sheet. And at the same time he was getting paid for flying. Imagine that!

If the Feds think you can teach, you can teach. Two, three weeks later it will come to you. That, or you'll never fly again.

Try it, you've got this far.

Teaching students will teach you so much about flying and give you great confidence in your flying skills (because you will have to take over the controls on a few occasions). This will be the same when you become a captain of a larger a/c with new hire f/o's. Many need help when the first start......

Don't say that you "won't" or "can't" do something without first trying. You are truly limiting your career potential right from the start and you don't even have 300 hours. Many of us didn't want to begin where we did, but we did because we HAD to. When I began flying there were NO flying jobs except flight instructing (back in 91') unless you had an immense number of hours. Now, all you need are 500+ Total and you can get on with a regional. Many of us would have given our newborns for that opportunity back then (just kidding...but not really).

Really....I think you are short-changing yourself and setting your "bar" really low for the future if you are unwilling flight instruct now this early in the game. Just think, you'll gain valuable experience instructing and get-paid to build your hours. As a matter of fact, you'll get the best quality instructing hours right there at ATP since you will be flying outside of the traffic pattern. Take advantage of their program and get your regional minimums in 1 year or less and you won't regret it.....

Best of luck to you bro....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back