Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How's those UNIONS working out for ya????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Union is doing what it is supposed to be. Providing job security and protection. The best bet I have ever made.

Union is doing what it is supposed to be. Providing job security and protection. The best bet I have ever made.

Unions?

Job Security? There are a lot of pilots at NJ that probably don't agree with that right about now. The union turned their backs on them.

And it's not done yet... One more furlough where the union won't protect them and then the contract will be opened.

Unions?

Job Security? There are a lot of pilots at NJ that probably don't agree with that right about now. The union turned their backs on them.

And it's not done yet... One more furlough where the union won't protect them and then the contract will be opened.

I agree, there shouldn't be a union here or anywhere else in aviation.

You b19, being in management, are the only one who can change that.

so will you please?

Here we go with the job security. This can't be done with a union organization. Many, many factors play into the security of your employment. Most of which can't be controlled with the union. Sure, they may keep you employed if the company gets into trouble, but if the company is failing, they're only prolonging and making the inevitable worse. Plus, the union may even contribute to the problems a company may have: work stoppage, strikes, and other dishonest maneuvers that are done in the spirit of 'standing together'. It's all bull$hit.
And protection? From what? Oh yeah, the big mean management guy that owns/runs the company and just wants to use you as slave labor. Come on, that crap is so out-dated. That kind of stuff only happens in third world countries..you know, like where your shoes were made...

Try relying on yourself to provide job security and protection through honest, safe work and good career decisions and leave the dues-collecting union fools out of it...

Here we go with the job security. This can't be done with a union organization. Many, many factors play into the security of your employment. Most of which can't be controlled with the union. Sure, they may keep you employed if the company gets into trouble, but if the company is failing, they're only prolonging and making the inevitable worse. Plus, the union may even contribute to the problems a company may have: work stoppage, strikes, and other dishonest maneuvers that are done in the spirit of 'standing together'. It's all bull$hit.
And protection? From what? Oh yeah, the big mean management guy that owns/runs the company and just wants to use you as slave labor. Come on, that crap is so out-dated. That kind of stuff only happens in third world countries..you know, like where your shoes were made...

Try relying on yourself to provide job security and protection through honest, safe work and good career decisions and leave the dues-collecting union fools out of it...

you're right about all that. Only management can fix it though.

Unions?

What BS!

I'll bet there isn't even ONE pilot at NJ that agrees with you.

But there are probably hundreds of at-will employees that wish they had a union!

Last edited:
Here we go with the job security. This can't be done with a union organization....

Sure it can. The most important thing it can do is ensure that, if a furlough or layoff is necessary, it is done fairly. I've seen companies lay pilots off based not on their seniority, or even on job performance, but on the equipment they happen to be flying. Management wanted to get rid of a particular fleet, and if you happened to be on it, you were canned. That's bullsh** no matter how you slice it.

And protection? From what? Oh yeah, the big mean management guy that owns/runs the company and just wants to use you as slave labor.
Yeah, a company would never do anything sleazy or improper; only those big, bad unions. :rolleyes: I distinctly remember the chief pilot at my last company calling me at home, demanding to know why I delayed a 7am departure out of our Albany hub.

I replied, "We needed to use the bathroom and grab something to eat, and it's a scheduled 10-minute turn. The hotel breakfast starts an hour after our showtime, so this was our first opportunity."

The chief pilot's reply? "You have a 3-hour break in the afternoon. You can eat breakfast and lunch then." I'm dead serious; that's what he said.

That kind of BS is why pilots unionize.

Tried that. Didn't work. The union job is much, much better.

Latest resources

Back