How will Pilot shops survive the purposed FAA mandate of 1500/ATP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA44Jockey

Just curious to hear about how the schools such as Pheonix East, DCA, Pan Am, Sierra etc will survive with this. We already have too many pilots for the current demand in flying. Things will probably only even out when Age 65 hits. Yes there will be a demand then, but there are thousands of qualified pilots on the street right now.

When the economy was good and the flight schools such as Delta Connection Academy had students, as soon as I hit 800 hours of dual given instruction, I was forced to quit to make room for another CFI.

Now there are hardly any students willing to pay $100,000.00 for flight training. The only thing luring them in is the job prospect at 300 hours right now. What is going to happen when they have to build another 1200 hours to get hired somewhere. Maybe a few hours will be taken up while they obtain their ATP, but you get were I am going?

I know the mins use to be around 1500 hours about 10 years ago to get hired somewhere, but before Sept. 11 there were a ton of people that wanted to learn to fly in the ballpark of 32,000.00 for training. Flight schools are going to have to come back down to reality with cost or I think many will fold.

Bridge programs will collapse with a 1500 hr requirement. This is ALLATPS (as well as some others) biggest selling point. A severe drop in enrollment is inevitable. Most will NOT want to pay the money only to CFI for ~1-2 years. No prestige and low pay will seal the deal for many, like the Commutair doofus in the news.

Last edited:
There will be much more masterbating going on, This is very good news for fruit of the loom....1500 hours is going to take FOREVER to get.

Um.....same way they did it for DECADES.....Higher time instructors, more experienced instructors, better trained pilots. Nobody guaranteed any high school kid a seat in an airliner with an experience level that wouldn't qualify them to rent a complex single solo. Like many others, I CFI'd for 3 years, did 135 and then got on at a regional with about 3000ttl and 500ME. Was it always fun....no. Did I learn a lot doing it...absolutly. I feel sorry for any passengers in the back of an airliner with a 300 hour wonder in the right seat, and a 1501 hr "captain" in the right.

any requirements for a certain type of flying? I mean, come on, 1500 hours going around the pattern as a CFI in a Cessna 152 is fairly worthless IMO. On the other hand, some kid whos been flying night freight for 5 or 600 hours in some beat up old Baron or Cessna 310 in all types of weather would be a heck of a lot better than the 1500 hour traffic pattern CFI. (IMO)

any requirements for a certain type of flying? I mean, come on, 1500 hours going around the pattern as a CFI in a Cessna 152 is fairly worthless IMO. On the other hand, some kid whos been flying night freight for 5 or 600 hours in some beat up old Baron or Cessna 310 in all types of weather would be a heck of a lot better than the 1500 hour traffic pattern CFI. (IMO)

Joe CFI can fly freight at 1200 hrs. (w/decent pay) then decide whether he wants the airline life at 1500+.

Latest resources

Back