• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How will Pilot shops survive the purposed FAA mandate of 1500/ATP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is a big difference between 1500 tt and an ATP. The XC time is very very hard to get as a FI.

Dang - I forgot about that part.

You're absolutely right! The requirement was clarified several years ago to require 50nm from origin. Unlike the 135 requirement which is still airport to airport (if I remember correctly). ??

Negotiating leverage, here we come!!!

any requirements for a certain type of flying? I mean, come on, 1500 hours going around the pattern as a CFI in a Cessna 152 is fairly worthless IMO. On the other hand, some kid whos been flying night freight for 5 or 600 hours in some beat up old Baron or Cessna 310 in all types of weather would be a heck of a lot better than the 1500 hour traffic pattern CFI. (IMO)
I must respectfully disagree. I instructed for 4000 hrs, and when I got to the airlines I was well prepared and adapted quickly. On the other hand, a couple freight guys flunked out. Why? In my humble opinion I was getting better flight time as an instructor than the freight guys who were in my class. They memorized the approaches on their runs, never even took out the plates as I was told. They flew in real weather, yes, and I on the other hand was a cherry in IFR (west coast pilot). BUT, I knew the IFR system, charts, etc much better. I was more situationally aware than they were (again, years of the same 5 or 7 runs...sometimes as few as 2). Now, is this to say that as a rule that CFI is better? I have to say no, not as a rule. At the same time I have no more higher opinion of the abilities of my freight counterparts preparedness for airline flying than a CFI. It's my opinion that I was so much better than the freight guys because I took my instructing seriously. I was one of those guys who never could know enough, who was always looking for the other plane trying to hit me, and always trying to find something a little deeper than what the lesson plan called for. I varied what we did, and tried to expose the students to everything I could. Now granted, I am one of those guys who LOVES aviation so I put my whole effort in it. Do I think that's true of all CFI's? No, especially today in the age of el rapido flight school "training". I have observed that each generation of CFI is weaker than the one before, even though there are more resources available. I think it's because everyone only does it long enough to get away from it. So they have not even learned how to fly, much less instruct. This is where a freight guy beats the CFI hands down. BUT, a good CFI who gave his all will be just as good if not better than a freight guy if you balance it out. In the end, as airline piloting or any type of flying goes...you're never REALLY prepared for it until you've done it, as an FO, and for several years before upgrading.

Last edited:
I must respectfully disagree. I instructed for 4000 hrs, and when I got to the airlines I was well prepared and adapted quickly. On the other hand, a couple freight guys flunked out. Why? In my humble opinion I was getting better flight time as an instructor than the freight guys who were in my class. They memorized the approaches on their runs, never even took out the plates as I was told. They flew in real weather, yes, and I on the other hand was a cherry in IFR (west coast pilot). BUT, I knew the IFR system, charts, etc much better. I was more situationally aware than they were (again, years of the same 5 or 7 runs...sometimes as few as 2). Now, is this to say that as a rule that CFI is better? I have to say no, not as a rule. At the same time I have no more higher opinion of the abilities of my freight counterparts preparedness for airline flying than a CFI. It's my opinion that I was so much better than the freight guys because I took my instructing seriously. I was one of those guys who never could know enough, who was always looking for the other plane trying to hit me, and always trying to find something a little deeper than what the lesson plan called for. I varied what we did, and tried to expose the students to everything I could. Now granted, I am one of those guys who LOVES aviation so I put my whole effort in it. Do I think that's true of all CFI's? No, especially today in the age of el rapido flight school "training". I have observed that each generation of CFI is weaker than the one before, even though there are more resources available. I think it's because everyone only does it long enough to get away from it. So they have not even learned how to fly, much less instruct. This is where a freight guy beats the CFI hands down. BUT, a good CFI who gave his all will be just as good if not better than a freight guy if you balance it out. In the end, as airline piloting or any type of flying goes...you're never REALLY prepared for it until you've done it, as an FO, and for several years before upgrading.
I agree 100%

There is a big difference between 1500 tt and an ATP. The XC time is very very hard to get as a FI.

Huh? XC time was EASY to get when I was working as a CFI. All you need to do is have your student fly at least 50 NM away from your departure airport during flight lessons... FAR 61.1 says you have to fly to and land at a point at least 50 nm away from your departure airport EXCEPT for the requirements for an ATP (no landing required).

On almost every lesson, I had my students fly at least a half hour or more in one direction while I had them practice whatever we were working on, making sure I verified we were over some point at least 50 NM away from our departure airport. Although not required for the ATP, I usually made sure we touched down somewhere outside of that 50 NM ring, as well. I'd pick a sleepy little airport to practice pattern work that was 51 nm away, or pick a road 53 NM away to do ground ref. man. work. I almost always kept our home-airport's DME up on the display so I could see when we passed the 50 DME mark.

By doing this, I made sure that the student logged XC time for his/her future rating requirements, I logged XC time for my ATP requirements, and we got more work done because we got away from the "extend your downwind, I'll call your base, you're looking for the 4th aircraft on final" calls the rest of the instructors usually dealt with when teaching.

Situational awareness isn't just about knowing which side of the procedure turn you're on; it's also about knowing which side of the next rating's requirements your student is on.

Sorry....Dont want to hear any whining about "how am I going to get to 1500 hours"

I had around 2000 hours when hired at a regional. I felt fortunate. It wasn't that hard, but I couldn't buy it and it didn't just fall into my lap. I earned it.

It's called paying your dues. If you did it you understand. If you didn't or don't want to, you won't, simple as that.

+1 as well. Outstanding post.

What any sort of flying, be in CFIing or 135, does is build maturity. Learning the less tangible lessons of being a professional pilot are much better done with none or just a few folks on board, rather than an RJ with 50 souls or more.

I would welcome the change... It might also give us pilots a little pricing power for a change.

A am more concerned about what this means for commuting.

Excellent post, acaTerry.

I've seen the same thing- I only instructed for 1200 hours (got hired by pinnacle with 1750 TT), but that was some of the most valuable time I had. Being an instructor is extremely rewarding if you really take the time to do it right. That combined with flying small time corporate ops where we were going numerous destinations made the transition to the airlines quite straight forward.

I am very pleased with this new reg and what it will do to the pilot mills. Good riddance!

The FAA missed the boat on this one. I believe the damage is already done. There are thousands of (121) pilots out there from these training programs already flying the line at many different airlines. The problem is that most of them are still in the right seat and never really had to do much "decision making". Now when they start upgrading and their put in sticky situations, with someone else that just came from the same 0-hero school. Then you got some serious issues with lives at stake, and I hope to God my family isn't on board.
Once again its the FAA writing rules/regs in blood. They should have done this 15yrs ago and maybe we wouldn't be having this problem.

You're going to see alot more false entries in log books as people try to get up to 1500 hours. Getting an ATP is not good enough. How can the quality of flying be monitored?

Latest resources

Back