How will Pilot shops survive the purposed FAA mandate of 1500/ATP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
:laugh:
First, the "free marker" is not a free market, thankfully. Secondly, the market is not some perfect machine and it is pure fantasy to think that the "market" always balances itself.

I agree we currently don't have a completely free market. Also, the free market may not be perfect (i.e. monopolies can be created), but it is much better than the opposite of a free market, which is totalitarianism. For the most part, free markets do achieve equilibrium, all on their own, and much more efficiently than "regulators" ever could. Prices set themselves such that supply and demand are always in balance.

I challenge you to show me how the free market would not achieve balance in this new proposed situation, in which ATPs would be the new requirement yet not enough currently exist.

If you make the rule and sit back and watch, the market will provide the necessary resources (ATP pilots).

Hi!

I had an ATP-MEL, and back in 2001, I could not get hired, while many regionals were hiring guys with way less than 1000 (or 500) total time. They said I was not qualified, and the 300 TT guys was.

Interesting...

cliff
NBO

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]ATP FAA REQUIREMENT[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Sec. 61.151 Eligibility requirements: General.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]To be eligible for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must--[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica](a) Be at least 23 years of age;[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica](b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica](c) Be of good moral character;[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica](d) Meet at least one of the following requirements[/FONT]
(b) oops. there goes Pinnacle.
(c) and there goes the ATR crowd. :)

:laugh:
First, the "free marker" is not a free market, thankfully. Secondly, the market is not some perfect machine and it is pure fantasy to think that the "market" always balances itself.

Wrong.

Free markets do always 'balance' themselves. The problem is we may not like what that balance turns out to be. It could be a monopoly or a complete collapse of all players, leaving a clean slate for a new start-up to take advantage.

Both scenarios are brutal and ugly, but so is the ultimate balance of entropy.

...You won't fill the class immediately. But let the situation work itself out for a few years, and supply and demand will be back in balance again. The free market always balances itself.

As long as exceptions aren't allowed (which would defeat the whole purpose), airlines will be forced to increase compensation. There are numerous ATP's who previously have left the industry voluntarily, who would return for the right pay. Student pilots would be more willing to do whatever it takes for several years of poverty if the end price is right. The end result will be higher compensation and more experienced regional pilots. Unless exceptions are made....:(

Once the attrition goes back to 30 a month again, when the majors start hiring, a company could be put out of business after a "few years" of waiting for the market to balance itself. If ASA can't complete flights, Delta will remove our flying.

Of course, this is way out in the future, but it will come.

Just a thought, if the FAA mandates an ATP for all 121 flying whats going to happen to all the right seaters who just hold a commercial? I don't think the airlines are going to pony up for this.

Just a thought, if the FAA mandates an ATP for all 121 flying whats going to happen to all the right seaters who just hold a commercial? I don't think the airlines are going to pony up for this.

Current 121 FOs without an ATP would be grandfathered in...but an ATP can easily be given during a recurrent PC for no additional time or cost.

Latest resources

Back