• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to Earn Respect as an Airline Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rez.....I had respect for you and your opinions up until now, now you are just like any other conservative azzhole that will sink to bashing one group to prove a point to another. It's 2008 and it's still ok to bash gay people or assume that male flight attendants are gay and just tripping over themselves to non-rev to SFO. I wonder what you secretly think about women or black pilots but never say outloud?

Have you read my post on the OBAP thread?

Since you called me out.... my intent is to concern pilots into looking like pilots instead of FAs... its that simple.... if they are shallow enough not to think about the real reasons to wear the uniform then maybe they are shallow enough to be homophobes...

Capiche?

Not sure that I agree with this. Respect from management in what way?

When it is time for your trip to be over and management says you will another trip and your wife expects you home.... do you want to call your wife and say I am on the way home or I have to work.

There is a difference between being a professional and being some tool box managements biotch...

Real Pilots defend the profession...

If the public believes you have value then that translates into effectivesness...

I think you misunderstand me. ALPA's CoE is excellant. I agree with them. But ALPA CoE adherence at ALPA, and by ALPA pilots (especially who post on this site) is minimal. It's good stuff, but nobody takes it seriously.

Simply put.... professionalism is a choice of free will. If you were to legislate it... the COE would not be ethical... it would be law. The FARs perhaps...??

It is similiar to democracy itself... if voting were mandated then it wouldn't be a free election...

Freedom, ethics and professionalism require responisbility and choice... Unfortunately... one of the choices is choosing not to choose...

Based on the vitriol I've seen on this board by ALPA pilots like yourself, I think my post is accurate. What a difference there would be if ALPA pilots adhered to their own CoE! Unfortunately, they "talk the talk," but don't "walk the walk."

Politics amongts pilots and the Code of Ethics when flying the line are different...

For what your interpretation of the COE should be when conducting the politics of the profession and what mine are could be very different...

For example... what canon do you think PCL has violated by posting his vitriol?

Perhaps you would like me to search the site to find some of your posts and do a comparative with the ALPA CoE as it pertains to conduct of affairs with members of the profession?

Yes... I would... if you please...

Point is this. If you, as an ALPA member, really believed the ALPA CoE and followed them, I think your posts on this site would be quite different. Unfortunately, I think most ALPA pilots view them as propoganda.

But please....prove me wrong.

T8

Actually you have posed the question so I'll put the burden of proof on you.... :)

This is one of the better threads. Obviously there is interest in the topic.

There is a reason that people who live and work in the real world pay close attention to what they wear.

Look at how your first and business class road warriors dress. They look sharp and you can easily picture them in a board room. They also carry attache cases that do not have "SURF NAKED" stickers affixed.

Contrast this to the average pilot. Short-sleeve shirt, tie and a flightbag covered with, dumb ass, aviation and band stickers. If you are out of high school you shouldn't have stickers on your gear. It makes us all look like idiots.

Unless you are the manager of your local Dairy Queen you should never wear a short sleeve shirt with a tie. Pick up a copy of "Dress for Success." If you don't believe it try to find a suit who takes off his jacket to reveal short sleeves.

Ask yourself if you would be comfortable attending a meeting wearing your daily uniform. If you think you might be the most under-dressed in the room, there might be a problem with your uniform.

When we need to start flying approaches with the DV windows open, maybe the leather jacket, helmet, goggles and scarf will be appropriate.

Ask your fifteen year old what you look like in your bomber jacket. It looked good on a 23 year old, 8th Air force pilot. It makes the average line pilot look like he is on his way to a Fonzie convention.

If you think people don't notice that you look like crap, think again.

BTW Lanyards of any kind are very lame. Weather you are an ALPA, USAPA, AOPA, or DELL supporter, leave the freaking lanyard where it belongs - your mailbox.

Last edited:
I think that the original post was right. I fly boxes around and very rarely see passengers (unless I'm jumpseating or D/Hing...but...that being said, my shirt is ironed every night before I fly and my shoes have a nice shine to them...We do wear leather jackets, but when mine is on, it is zipped up about halfway not just flapping in the breeze.

The bottom line is that I do this because I have pride in myself and in my appearance.

It's not about what the travelling public thinks or ALPA's COE, it's about your own pride and professionalism.

Great post. I'll add "discipline" to the list.

I have never been more impressed than to jumpseat through a cargo hub (ASTAR/DHL) in the middle of the night and see crisp,white & pressed shirts at 3 a.m.

If you are not disciplined enough to take care of the shoes, pants and shirts, how do you think that carries over to discipline in the cockpit?

The M.O. to our profession is discipline. It is a long road to "make" it in our business. Many monotonous takeoffs and landings, position reports, preflights, etc. It can breed apathy & sloppiness.

What counteracts this?

Yup, discipline, which in effect is a quality of professionalism.

Thanks for reading.

Freedom, ethics and professionalism require responisbility and choice... Unfortunately... one of the choices is choosing not to choose...

Thank God for that 'unfortunality' Rez...

Of course I'm assuming you subscribe to the mantra "Conform or be cast out..."

Room for everyone I suspect, plus it's just a job.

Politics amongts pilots and the Code of Ethics when flying the line are different...

For what your interpretation of the COE should be when conducting the politics of the profession and what mine are could be very different...

For example... what canon do you think PCL has violated by posting his vitriol?

Yes... I would... if you please...

Actually you have posed the question so I'll put the burden of proof on you.... :)

Easily done...

The overwelming display of a condescending attitude toward individuals whom disagree with you...which purveys the many posts, is an indication of your/PCL's professionalism...or perhaps, the lack of it.

As for a personal "canon" I'll stick with "do unto others as you would have them do to you." If you stick with that "canon," you won't go wrong.

On this site, we often cut off our fellow aviatior's nose...then ask him to smell a rose. It doesn't work.

T8

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back