• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How to Earn Respect as an Airline Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Great post. I think following 1-6 could help us "take it back".

1. Wear your uniform proudly, even if you don't like your company. This includes the uniform hat if required.

When I am done for the day, in my hotel or home, I scramble to ditch the monkey suit, throw on some shorts, Tshirt, and slippers(flipflops). When working, I try to look professional. Some of you say that the public does not notice whether you look like a uniformed slob or not. I think they do more than we think. I pose the following questions: 1. when you see an out of shape, fat, sloppy-looking police officer in public, do you respect him/her more or less than the high and tight, spit and polished muscular version? 2. When you see an in-shape Marine in full dress (please forgive me if thats not the correct terminology) are you not a tiny bit awestruck? 3. If two different people approached you in public with a question would you react the same if one were wearing a suit and the other a Tshirt and baggy jeans?

Have I been guilty of not being professional in public before? Hell yeah. I just agree with Cal73 that we should just try harder.

P.S. go ahead with your closet-gay remarks, I'm not gay(Ok, 99% sure that I'm not) -- not that there's anything wrong with that.....

2. Don't talk badly about your company in the public, if you like to complain, do it in private!
Duhh.....

3. When people ask is your job easy respond with a "no" and inform them it takes years of training. Let them know you ARE responsible for their lives when they are on board your flight.

This one drives me F*&^in nuts! I HATE it when pilots say-"it's the easiest job in the world" or "I cant believe they pay me to do this". Don't minimalize our profession, ever, to your parents, your spouse, your friends, the public, etc. I was talking to my parents, one of which does not fly, about the GO! pilots falling asleep. Their sarcastic response was, "you pilots have such a hard job...." I think alot of people think like this. It pisses me off when people compare their careers to ours. There is mostly no comparison. It's just like that "letter" to mgmt. that some pilot wrote-if we just dial in one digit wrong w/out catching it-we could kill hundreds. How many people have that level of unforgiving circumstances thrown at them everyday on the job?

Have I ever minimalized my job? Hell yes. I/we just have to try harder.

4. Take a look at pictures from the 1970's of what airline pilots looked like. This is what we should be emulating.

How many of you wish you could fly today's equipment, with today's pay(whoops, never mind) in the 1950's, 60's, 70's? People dressed for their flights, good meal service was the norm, flying was a "special" event. Obviously, it probably wont ever get back to that, but what if we lead by example and try to appear a little sharper? I really feel that airlines should enact some sort of dress code. Maybe this is old school thinking, but it's a G**amn airplane! It's not a Greyhound, not a supershuttle, etc.

Again, am I guilty of looking like a slob outside of work? Hell yeah.

5. Don't sit at the gate and yawn in public. If you are tired stay in the crew room and rest until your flight.

6. Try not to become a fat slob. Stay in shape and
look the part of a professional!

Earn the respect of the pulblic and you will also earn the respect of management!
I hope slowly, over time, this will eventually work.

Earn the respect of the pulblic and you will also earn the respect of management!

Best post I've seen here in years. And you're absolutely right cal73cap. We have done it to ourselves over the years with not enough vision on the 'big picture'. My own family history in the airlines goes back to 1937, and I know what it means to earn the respect of your passengers and management. Seeing the young pilots of today walking around with the backpack slung over his shoulder, an i-pod plugged into his ear, and a big ketchup stain on his untucked shirt just makes me feel so disappointed. And for those defending that image of today's pilot as due to horrible pay and working conditions - stick a sock in it. Most of us have it MUCH BETTER than pilots did in the 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's. Better wages, better working conditions, better equipment, and more job opportunities. I've seen this unfolding of history in person. Of course if you choose to pick one particular moment in history (i.e. UAL's or US's contracts in 1999) we aren't making quite as much right now. But overall, we are still at the high end of historical conditions in the industry. If you don't believe me, read some history. Back in those days of decades past, even in the tough conditions, pilots earned the public's respect by looking the part, and ACTING the part of a responsible employee. If you don't respect yourself or your career, it's d#mned certain your bosses or passengers won't either.

HAL

I am glad most folks agree with me. One poster mentioned that I should also make light of the "old fat slob Captains" and not just the First Officers that fit that category. He is absolutely right. The sight of the big ole Captain walking down the terminal with his Big Gulp in one hand and his Big Gut hanging over his belt is something to behold.

Make a vow to yourself to look Professional and if enough pilots do we will become more respected.

Also, when I interact with my airline's customers I always think about the excellant customer service I receive at Disneyworld and I think how would a Disney employee handle the passenger I am talking to. Sounds crazy, but it works!

And please, no cracks about Mickey Mouse!

Got news for you. The biggest fat slobs I ever flew with were F/O's and they were fairly young at that. I guess most of them are the fat slob Capt's that your talking about now. Checking out as Capt. does not in and of it's self mean your fat, just older. Use to fly with a very capable F/O on the L1011. Doing the control check required that the F/O reach over and hold a button down so you could see the control movement. This guy was so fat he could not for the life of him, reach that far. Good stick and smart guy, just very fat!

I agree that the latest generation of airline pilots seems to have a higher percentage of misfits than in the past. Maybe it's just the HR departments desire to have the broadest selction of the human condition as possible. What is most amazing is that everyone of these slobs that you see walking around the terminals, probably was in his best dressed mode to get the job in the first place. Obviously just posers, not real airline pilots.

Last edited:
Best post I've seen here in years. And you're absolutely right cal73cap. We have done it to ourselves over the years with not enough vision on the 'big picture'. My own family history in the airlines goes back to 1937, and I know what it means to earn the respect of your passengers and management. Seeing the young pilots of today walking around with the backpack slung over his shoulder, an i-pod plugged into his ear, and a big ketchup stain on his untucked shirt just makes me feel so disappointed. And for those defending that image of today's pilot as due to horrible pay and working conditions - stick a sock in it. Most of us have it MUCH BETTER than pilots did in the 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's. Better wages, better working conditions, better equipment, and more job opportunities. I've seen this unfolding of history in person. Of course if you choose to pick one particular moment in history (i.e. UAL's or US's contracts in 1999) we aren't making quite as much right now. But overall, we are still at the high end of historical conditions in the industry. If you don't believe me, read some history. Back in those days of decades past, even in the tough conditions, pilots earned the public's respect by looking the part, and ACTING the part of a responsible employee. If you don't respect yourself or your career, it's d#mned certain your bosses or passengers won't either.

HAL

I have to disagree with you about pay and conditions better than before. In real dollars, this job has been in a continuous decline since deregulation. We still have to fight to restore this profession to what it once was.
When it really comes down to it, you have to be willing to lose everything in order to turn things around. But this is a totally separate issue from looking and acting professional in your job.
And I totally agree with that as most of us do.

This write-up needs to be given to all Mesa pilot classes.

I've seen pilots from just about EVERY COMPANY out there that should be given this post. Including yours.

Mazel cal73....great post from a fellow JAPA member. A mitzvah for you!

Great post and advice I live by. I believe in a #7 rule too.

7) You must correct those who are not living by these standards. Not tommorow or next week but on the spot correction.

If you see someone bitchin about the company, kindly take them aside and remind them whose name is printed on their paycheck.

If someone is not wearing the hat go to your union standards office and report them. If you see it twice, report them to your chief pilot.

If somebody is fat, invite them to the gym with you. If they say no, call it like it is, "Heh, you like Jabba lets go get on the treadmill". Just make sure nobody is around on this one, so it is your word against his/hers.

Take pride in yourself, your company and the public paying your rent!

Is this a serious post?

I blame all of this on themselves on how the industry is the way it is. One time it used to be a privledge to fly. Now every person along with their dogs and cats are flying and the airlines were like a bunch of whores who wanted it all.
They got what they deserve now.

Don't yawn in public? Thats so stupid, Maybe the companys we work for should create schedules that prevent fatigue. Maybe its time to get the regs changed till we get more required rest than truck drivers.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back