• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How Obamacare is affecting Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The number I saw was $535 million profit in July.
July is the most profitable month of the year for every airline. Nothing new there. For the month of July, Delta reported unit revenues up 3% while USAirways reported unit revenues up 5% and Southwest reported unit revenues up 4-5%.

Don't forget September is the weakest month of the year for airlines (that is why most airlines significantly reduce their blockhours between July and September). Currently, the big 5 are expected to report strong financial numbers for Q3 (I believe record territory for all 5).

July is the most profitable month of the year for every airline. Nothing new there. For the month of July, Delta reported unit revenues up 3% while USAirways reported unit revenues up 5% and Southwest reported unit revenues up 4-5%.

Don't forget September is the weakest month of the year for airlines (that is why most airlines significantly reduce their blockhours between July and September). Currently, the big 5 are expected to report strong financial numbers for Q3 (I believe record territory for all 5).

Max, sounds great. How's your Mother airline done so far compared to the legacies? Do you think they will add bag fees before or after they go for concessions? Have a great day Max, future SWA System Chief Pilot.....

Bye Bye---General Lee

And drove Endeavor through bankruptcy which caused massive paycuts for ALPA brethren, lost houses, and I am sure there was a divorce or two over it. Good work Delta!!

Each Regional at all of the legacy feed will be pared to the bone. If you want to make more, you might want to apply or wait for a flow up or preferential interview offer. We have all been watching that trainwreck for awhile, no big surprises here. Stay there, make less. You'd think they would have raised the pay to attract future pilots with 1500 hours or more, but so far they have not. Not doing that may be a big mistake coming up. Maybe you will get your raise after all, and you can stay a lifer if you want....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yeah....nice job. Nice job screwing your investors, screwing your employees by shredding promised contracts/retirements and people you owed money to. A lot easier to be profitable when you are able to just offload a huge part of your debt that you would otherwise be paying on. Oh yeah..."nice job". Good work. That's the way to run a business. Congratulations.

Well said. Seems to be page 1 in the management playbook. Profits via a trip through BK.

Yeah....nice job. Nice job screwing your investors, screwing your employees by shredding promised contracts/retirements and people you owed money to. A lot easier to be profitable when you are able to just offload a huge part of your debt that you would otherwise be paying on. Oh yeah..."nice job". Good work. That's the way to run a business. Congratulations.

Hey, BK is allowed for everyone in this country, personal and company. If you don't like that and favor decapitation due to BK, then go to Cambodia. This country allows second and maybe even third chances. Since you don't like that, enjoy your coach seat to Phnom Penh.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Max, sounds great. How's your Mother airline done so far compared to the legacies? Do you think they will add bag fees before or after they go for concessions?
For the first 6 months of 2013, Southwest's pre-tax margin was 5.7% while Delta's pre-tax margin was 5.1% (excluding special items for both). And don't forget General, full network connectivity between Southwest and AirTran just came online in April. You must be excited about all the international itineraries now available to our Lubbock customers.

Have a great day Max, future SWA System Chief Pilot.....
Why would I ever want to quit my day job? I have flown 4 legs so far this month on short call reserve (and spent every night at home).

For the first 6 months of 2013, Southwest's pre-tax margin was 5.7% while Delta's pre-tax margin was 5.1% (excluding special items for both). And don't forget General, full network connectivity between Southwest and AirTran just came online in April. You must be excited about all the international itineraries now available to our Lubbock customers.

Why would I ever want to quit my day job? I have flown 4 legs so far this month on short call reserve (and spent every night at home).

Based on how much revenue max?

That's like comparing a twin 225 hp mercruiser to an aircraft carrier....they both have 2 engines butttttttttttt.......

Bill's right Max, trying to compare the revenue potential between the two is useless. Big difference, and I don't see any change in yours until they add bag fees to your Mother Airline, and since you are losing your LCC status due to higher longevity of employees, it could be after you probably make concessions in the next contract.

Btw, I heard you guys are giving up more 717s faster, up to 6 per month instead of 3 per month until the end of this year, and then back to 3 a month next Jan. Thanks for that. Enjoy your right seat Corndog transformation. You're gonna LUV it there, just ask Bubba and Red. Your layovers with them in Midland and Islip will no doubt be FANTASTIC.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Ummm, that's not correct. If pre tax profits exceed $2.5 billion in one year, the pilots receive 20% of what is in the profit sharing pie, up from 15%. If DL doesn't make $2.5 billion, then yes, yes it does fall to 10%. How are we looking so far? Q1 had the first profit in 5 years for that quarter. Q2 was huge too. Gas prices were expected to be higher. If July alone had $500 or so million, how about June and August? I'd say there is a good chance DL makes the $2.5 billion pre tax profit, with lower gas prices helping out.

Any more things you are confused about Jonny? Say hi to your Mom and Sis for me!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Curious, how underfunded is the pilot pension fund?

Latest resources

Back