How much IFR flight planning do you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pedro said:
You said you had a question, that question.
Now as far as the other question, I'm Flechas, DBA Pedro.

no, no you knucklehead! That was a quote from the very first post!!
omit, ignore, carry-on!
just kidding!

gkrangers said:
What extent of flight planning do you go into?
Oh man, this is an easy one. FltPlan.com is the answer. There are hi and lo altitude charts for planning and the DPs and STARS are all included on the planning page. The weather links are excellent too. They're not an official source of weather though, so I'll usually call FSS or log on to DUATS if I'm PIC.

I use an automated flight planner for the nav log bit. It's based on what I expect to happen. Just runs from the home base to the first expected enroute fix and then by airway to the destination. I don't worry about the details of SIDs and STARS for the planing - there's too much variety.

Other than the obvious - the weather - the other real planning I do is to really look at the charts and figurer out what to expect. If it happens as I expect, great. If it doesn't, variation end up with a context and seem to me at least, to be easier to handle and even to figure out what is likely to happen next.

minitour said:
Here's what I do.

Step 1: Open up FlightStar

Step 2: Pick aircraft, departure, destination and alternate(s).

Step 3: Have Flightstar download weather and review it all.

Step 4: Call FSS and file.

Step 5: Review approaches at departure, destination, alternate and a few along the way...just so I know what I'm doing.

This way I know what the weather is doing and I know I have enough fuel. FlightStar does the heading computations, etc...I just fly the airways.
Here's how I do it...
Step 1: Open up Flitesoft.
Step 2: Same as above.
Step 3: Have Flitesoft download weather, winds, etc. and review it all.
Step 4: Have Flitesoft calculate the route, inserting DPs and STARs as appropriate; including calulating the optimal flight level(s).
Step 4: Have Flitesoft file the flight plan(s). Why would you even want to talk to someone at the FSS?
Step 5: Use JeppVIew to print out the appropriate charts. Review approaches at departure, destination, alternate and a few along the way...just so I know what I'm doing.

Total time for a coast-to-coast flight? 10 to 15 minutes.

That is for domestic US, Canada and MExico. If we're flying internationally, the procedure is a little different:

Step 1. Call the Red Team at Universal.
Step 2. There is no step 2. Universal does everything.

The important thing, whether you're IFR or VFR, is to get the "big picture". It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend a lot of time calulating your route to the nth degree - ATC will find out about it somehow and give you at least 3 revisions to your clearance before you even get to the runup pad. :p

'Sled

Last edited:
For GA flying, I basically pull up my profile and plane in www.duat.com and have duat.com plot the route, and provide weather by selecting 'route briefing'. If I want a different route (around weather, more time flying the plane) I will edit the route.

I have a general idea of the route I expect from looking at the lo-enroute charts. This is good as often I am cleared via a route different from what I have filed so I know ahead of time the other possible routes I may get.

I use duat.com because it is the easiest site for me to get to (no one else uses that dedicated computer) and most familiar.

I will also double check AOPA for the most recent approach plates, or changes to those plates.

If anything seems unusual, a call to FSS is at hand (new plates that do not seem appropriate such as an ILS to RWY 28, yet the only runway at the airport is 29/11).

While enroute, if I see build-up, or experience 'light chop' I will ask for a deviation.

Fly_Chick said:
I also print my duat.com flight plan and weather briefing, and take it with me on the plane.
i do the same thing. it's a waste of 20 pages, but it's helpful to have.

i start checking weather a few hours in advance, or if i have access to them, get old TAFS and metars to see the general trends of the weather. i look at radar, area forecasts, airmets, sigmets, winds aloft, the whole 9 yards. i use duats.com for most of my weather planning.

as for routing, i first look for IFR preferred routes, then i look at the low enroute chart. if direct is feasible, like KEVB to KSGJ, i'll file direct. but for something a bit more complicated, like down to naples or up to valdosta georgia, i'll plan my route using airways.

i file with FSS and have him check any pertninent NOTAMS, convective weather or if there are any TFR's active, especially down here during football season.

1. call the gdc
2. tell them departure pt, dest pt, etd, speed,alt, fob, sob, fax#
3. resume flight info.com :)

Last edited:
Lead Sled said:
Step 4: Have Flitesoft file the flight plan(s). Why would you even want to talk to someone at the FSS?

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend a lot of time calulating your route to the nth degree - ATC will find out about it somehow and give you at least 3 revisions to your clearance before you even get to the runup pad. :p

'Sled

I've done the electronic filing a few times. I always get worried my flight plan is going to get lost and I'll be stuck on a ramp trying to phone FSS from my cell to file. But that is a good option with the electronic programs.

...I so agree with the time spent calculating. Usually when you do that, you get two clearances before you depart, one or two right after takeoff, then two or three enroute before getting direct as soon as you can possibly get the destination to ID (assuming no GPS)...what a PITA.

-mini

Latest resources

Back