• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How much IFR flight planning do you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Out of the 300+ times I have filed thru DUATS, I only had one that was dropped. It was my fault, I screwed up the time of departure while converting it to Zulu. That time change twice a year always gets me.:eek:

How can you check online if your flight plan is in the system?

TDTURBO said:
Out of the 300+ times I have filed thru DUATS, I only had one that was dropped. It was my fault, I screwed up the time of departure while converting it to Zulu. That time change twice a year always gets me.:eek:

Thank goodness they let you input the times in local format.

Lead Sled said:
(Vector4fun correct me if I'm wrong...) If you file via DUATS, it's held in their computer until 2 hours prior to your proposed time of departure; then it is sent to the ARTCC computer. 30 minutes prior to your departure time it is sent to the local controller (Clearance Delivery, etc.) awaiting your call. It is available there for two hours before it is dumped. Flight service never sees it unless you call them for your clearance and they won't know if it was actually filed or not.

I'm late coming back to this thread, Sled; but the only thing I noticed is that the Flight Plan Drop Paramiter is variable from Center to Center. Some Centers in the NE I hear only hold Flight Plans for 1 1/2 hrs before they time out. Two hours is normal for ZAB, ZHU, and ZFW I know. But I believe the AIM says they're only required to be held for One hour past the ETD.

Don't ask me about DUATS and how flight plans load in the HOST though. I'm a "swivel head". Still work a real radar CRT in a tracon; not a digitized mozaic approximation of one in a Center. :tongue:

Grab an enroute chart, approach plates, FSS briefing and go. ALWAYS keep at least an hour or two worth of fuel AFTER I reach my destination for the trip and go. End of story.

TDTURBO said:
gkrangers said:
Heres one...How can I verify that its on file?
puddlejumper said:
My company subscribes to a flight tracker service, FBOWeb.com. When I file, 2 hours before the proposed time off, I get a text message on my phone. Your FBO may have a subscription, ask them if you can look at their list of proposed flights off. If you file with DUATS, it will definitely be there. 09-27-2005 13:02
I think FBOWeb is like $15/month. FltPlan.com also has a flight tracker service.

Latest resources

Back