How much IFR flight planning do you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gkrangers said:
Just filed with DUATS...called FSS an hour later and they never got it. FSS guy told me DUATS blows.

You filed with DUATS and called FSS to get your clearance?

If so, you have to tell them you filed it with ___ Center. It's (most likely) in the computer. They'll probably give you a hard time, but its there.

OTOH...if they checked and its not in the computer...then my fears are justified.

The last thing I ever want to have happen is be on the ramp with the engines running, looking for an IFR to ORD with an arrival slot and I need to leave now to make it and..."sorry sir, there's nothing here".

That would suck....

-mini

duats

In regards to the main question.
The easiest way to flight plan is on Duats. It is available at most of the smaller airports where no other internet connection is available. Usually my planned route is to go direct. Under the selections just pick user selected routing and then type in the name of the destination airport. Then if you have an IFR gps great your all set, but I usually don't. I use a vfr only gps to fly ifr all the time. You have to make sure that you can Identify your postion with vors or a dme and adf at all times though. You also have to let FSS know in the remarks box that you are vfr gps only. Use AOPA's weather and your set. (easiest to read and navigate around the web site in my opinion)

Do many people still use RNAV?

I have been flying RNAV routes on a freight run lately, and if you don't stay on top of your position, it's real easy to just get lazy and go from selected point to the next and not know your position. Some of this could also be contributed to the fact that it's 3AM and I'm tired!

Just curious if many people fly this way still. There too cheap to put in a GPS for me.

minitour said:
You filed with DUATS and called FSS to get your clearance?

If so, you have to tell them you filed it with ___ Center. It's (most likely) in the computer. They'll probably give you a hard time, but its there.

OTOH...if they checked and its not in the computer...then my fears are justified.

The last thing I ever want to have happen is be on the ramp with the engines running, looking for an IFR to ORD with an arrival slot and I need to leave now to make it and..."sorry sir, there's nothing here".

That would suck....

-mini
I filed with DUATS...then I checked DUATS a half hour later to see if it was on file, it wasn't.. Then I called FSS to ask if the plan was on file, it wasn't. He told me filing thru DUATS just doesn't work...

Last edited:
gkrangers said:
I filed with DUATS...then I checked DUATS a half hour later to see if it was on file, it wasn't.. Then I called FSS to ask if the plan was on file, it wasn't. He told me filing thru DUATS just doesn't work...

That's gotta suck...did you ask them to check the Center computer?

-mini

minitour said:
That's gotta suck...did you ask them to check the Center computer?

-mini
No, he asked for my departure time and checked something based on that, maybe he was checking the center computer then?

I'll try it again next time.

But, this IFR stuff is cool.

Filed both ways today, its great! :D

gkrangers said:
No, he asked for my departure time and checked something based on that, maybe he was checking the center computer then?

I'll try it again next time.

But, this IFR stuff is cool.

Filed both ways today, its great! :D

Interesting stuff...let me know how it works next time. I'm skeptical of filing online...but if it works, it might be quicker

..and I agree...IFR is cool...and easier than VFR (IMO).

-mini

it doesn't take long to file w/ FSS, i'd just use use duats to plan the route and file w/ FSS, plus you can check up on convective weather as well as any TFR's during football season.

I like using the FSS too, I feela lot better when I caan taalk to somebody and get all the NOTAMs.

Pedro said:
I like using the FSS too, I feela lot better when I caan taalk to somebody and get all the NOTAMs.
:werd: I like FSS...also feel like I'm more on record of getting a briefing if something goes wrong...that stuff gets recorded doesn't it?

I like hearing the words "No TFRs"...

Latest resources

Back