• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How much IFR flight planning do you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flight planning? What the heck are you guys talking about? Is that what you do when you don't have a button in the cockpit with a little D and an arrow sticking through it?

:D

midlifeflyer said:
"Tower Enroute Control" routes are very common in the northeast and California where approach facilities abut each other and cover a wide area.

You can go pretty far outside the "local" area and never speak with a Center controller as you are handed off from approach facility to approach facility. For example, there a TEC Route listed going from the BDL area in Connecticut down to Richmond VA, a 340 NM flight.

As has been already mentioned, in some areas, you don't even need to file ahead of time. In others you do. Either way, the A/FD and Jepp enroute information lists them in the same way as IFR preferred routes.
Here are the TEC routes for California. http://www.laartcc.org/tec/index.php

I file them by Route ID (ie SANM32) and we are normally cleared "as filed". Again, read the routings, way too complicated for use in high density airspace. It would simplify things greatly if they could simply insert a few named intersections where the airways intersect.

'Sled

Here are the TEC routes for California. http://www.laartcc.org/tec/index.php

I file them by Route ID (ie SANM32) and we are normally cleared "as filed". Again, read the routings, way too complicated for use in high density airspace. It would simplify things greatly if they could simply insert a few named intersections where the airways intersect.

'Sled
Do these actually work? From what I can tell this is a flight-simmers site.
This site is NOT affiliated with the FAA, the real Los Angeles ARTCC or any of the Airlines listed. The information contained in this site should NOT be used for real world navigation.

This is probably just a statement their lawyers required them to put on there. My bad, I guess it's legit. :eek:

Last edited:
I used to use TEC all the time back when I was flying in Los Angeles. Very, very convenient. Can't really do it much around here unless I'm flying to San Antonio or something.

midlifeflyer said:
"Tower Enroute Control" routes are very common in the northeast and California where approach facilities abut each other and cover a wide area.

You can go pretty far outside the "local" area and never speak with a Center controller as you are handed off from approach facility to approach facility. For example, there a TEC Route listed going from the BDL area in Connecticut down to Richmond VA, a 340 NM flight.

As has been already mentioned, in some areas, you don't even need to file ahead of time. In others you do. Either way, the A/FD and Jepp enroute information lists them in the same way as IFR preferred routes.
Thanks....so in a way, its kinda like getting a local IFR but you can go outside the first TRACON? Will ATC provide the turns, or will you be expected to follow the TEC routing, just like if you filed a normal IFR plan with airways?

I don't remember going over it down here during my training.

Last edited:
gkrangers said:
Thanks....so in a way, its kinda like getting a local IFR but you can go outside the first TRACON? Will ATC provide the turns, or will you be expected to follow the TEC routing, just like if you filed a normal IFR plan with airways?
Both. It's really more like, actually, =exactly= like IFR Preferred Routes, except entirely in approach control airspace.

Using Sled's link (which includes both IFR Preferred Routes and TEC Routes), the BDL-RIC one I mentioned before is BDL GON CCC V16 RIC. Notice, VORs direct and an airway. Heading that way? When you file your flight plan, just put in that routing and, even in the busy northeast, you'd pretty likely to get "as filed."

And like any other IFR clearance, you can expect some vectoring in the busy areas, and stretches of your own navigation.

I don't remember going over it down here during my training.
Depending on where you trained, that's not that surprising. First, unfortunately, not a lot of time is spent in instrument training on enroute stuff to begin with - the checkride is so approach intensive. Second, even if you touched on IFR Preferred Routing, you probably didn't spend a lot of time on it since those city pairs tend to be for the "big boys." Third, instrument training tends to be localized. If you didn't train in the parts of the country that use them, you probably wouldn't be exposed to them (I did my instrument training in New England where they are used). Look at the number of folks who train at towered airports and haven't a clue what a "void time" clearance is or, if they know what it is, have a clue how to get and use one.

I need to do some non-towered IFR stuff eventually...Do I know how to get/use one? Maybe...if you feel like enlightening me, that'd be just great. ;) I know the rules, I just have never done it.

I did my training in central Florida, out of Daytona. DAB-MCO-TPA is all terminal. Not sure if there are any TEC routes, probably not. I do check IFR preferred routing tho, since there is some of that around Florida.

Latest resources

Back