Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How much did you spend of flight training?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

How much did you spend on flight training?

• 0-20k

Votes: 205 22.5%
  • 20-30k

Votes: 222 24.3%
  • 30-40k

Votes: 166 18.2%
  • 40-50k

Votes: 124 13.6%
  • 50-60k

Votes: 74 8.1%
  • 60-70k

Votes: 46 5.0%
  • 80-90k

Votes: 17 1.9%
  • Great than 90k

Votes: 59 6.5%

• Total voters
FWIW I've got a couple degrees but wouldn't trade it for anything. You're more well rounded and have the ability to discuss things beyond aviation.

On the other hand most of my good friends didn't go to college and are doing just fine.

The important thing is to go out and have a great time from age 16-22. All of the captains I've flown with that did nothing but aviation during that time have regretted it.

No regrets either

FWIW I've got a couple degrees but wouldn't trade it for anything. You're more well rounded and have the ability to discuss things beyond aviation.
Why would you want to talk about anything but airplanes and flying?

Im studying aviation management lol its a joke. Everytime I go to class I realize how much more I will never take a job that doesn't deal with flying.

Im studying aviation management lol its a joke. Everytime I go to class I realize how much more I will never take a job that doesn't deal with flying.

Man I dont think I have ever told you this but...get out of AVM... When youre in a situation like mine...you'll be better off with NO degree let alone an AVM degree. To date I have been laughed out of 2 management positions.

Get a real business degree or something...stay in Carbondale a little longer...get drunk a little more.

I can't believe I didnt listen to the many people who told me not to get this f'n degree...its totally pointless.

I can't believe I didnt listen to the many people who told me not to get this f'n degree...its totally pointless.

I hate to break it to you but most bachelor degrees are pointless. It's not so much the content that matters. The bottom line is that you are able to walk out of college with the ability to think critically, learn how to use your brain, and apply those skills after you get out of college; provided you haven't drank your neurons away by then. Granted some degrees are more challenging than others, but having a degree beats not having one any day. Every company I've ever worked for could care less what you got your degree in, as long as you had one.

What are you saying?

I hate to break it to you but most bachelor degrees are pointless.
This is a break with the "You must have college degree or you are not as good as me crowd", you will incur the wrath on this site.

Flight training has become progressively more expensive. How much did you spend? If replying please note the year you finished and any special circumstances.

Probably not enough....I am stil figuring out how to land the thing!

From 1993-1997, I spent roughly $40,000 for my four year aviation degree. About half the cost was the Private, Instrument, Commercial, Multi, CFI, and CFII. About $16k was financed with student loans. I paid about $2000 in cash for my private, and the rest was covered by scholarships. I later picked up my MEI for free. I was working for a company who let me use a Seneca for my checkride, and I had a DPE that I had sent several students to that I talked into doing my checkride for free. I recently completed my ATP as part of a 135 checkride for free. It only cost me the $100 for the written.

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
to give people apples to apples comparison you guys should adjust your numbers.
45000 in 2003 at spartan would cost me $52,468.29 in 2009 dollars.
captains that made 250000 in 2000 would need to be making $311,464.87 to have the same buying power in 2009. if you take into account inflation i would guess that most legacy pilots work more today and make less than they did 20 years ago.
pilots have been taking pay cuts for years by not keeping up with inflation.

i think the fo in the buffalo crash made 16000 in 2009 dollars equals $6,145.33 in 1980 dollars. the minimum wage in 1980 was 3.10 per hour 3.10*8=(24.8 day) 3.10*40=(124 week) 124*4=(496 month) 496*12=(5952 year)
so she made 193.33 dollars more per year than someone working for minimum wage in 1980. With the higher taxes these days she probably made less than someone working for minimum wage in 1980.

this is not my flight info account but i wanted to post this info. bottom line we as pilots are getting the short end of the stick.

Latest resources

Back