• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many have quit a legacy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Abe--The good thing about corporate is that your experience counts for something. If you were a 604 captain and your department shuts down, you go looking for another job as a 604 captain. None of this start at the bottom crap.

But! There still aren't that many really good corporate jobs out there--especially if you don't live in the N.E.

The quality of the airlines has declined so much from when I got hired it doesn't take a "really good" corporate job to match the pay and QOL of the airlines. You just have to be aware that any job can be gone tomorrow. TC
The "best job" is to be in the back of a corporate jet, but not serving drinks.

The quality of the airlines has declined so much from when I got hired it doesn't take a "really good" corporate job to match the pay and QOL of the airlines. You just have to be aware that any job can be gone tomorrow. TC

I think it's true that there are a lot of corporate jobs out there that match the pay and QOL at the airlines but the airlines are in the business of flying airplanes so unless they actually fail (which doesn't happen very often with the Legacy's anymore) I still think it's more stable, even though I've been furloughed twice. :smash:

I had a job offer from General Dynamics the same week I got hired at CAL and I took CAL. GD offered great benefits and a decent salary but I didn't see that job lasting another 25 years so I went with CAL. Some people thought I was crazy but that GD job no longer exists.

Who knows what will happen in the next 25 years but I think if you have a seniority number at a Legacy, you will retire at at Legacy. It may not have the same name as it did when you started but the job will be there.

I hope anyway!! :D

I guess that should tell all of the guys and gals that want to go to DAL something.

I still think DAL is a great job. It is 10 times better than a regional, no doubt.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Uniform shop said, "I think if you have a seniority number at a Legacy, you will retire at at Legacy. It may not have the same name as it did when you started but the job will be there. "

Tell that to the US Airways pilots who have recently reached retirement age while still on furlough!

How many have quit a legacy or other major airline either from furlough or outright? How many have no intention of accepting a recall? Have you started a different aviation career or different career altogether?

Anyone else?

There are 20 former USAirways pilots at my current airline. Only 4 of them were furloughed, myself included. The other 16 either retired or quit. For me to go back it would be more than a $100,000/year pay cut and I would be going back to 6th year pay :bawling: . I'm number 650 out of 1600 at my present company. If I'm lucky I'll be number 4799 out of 6676 after the seniority integration with 659 AWA pilots hired after me, placed ahead of me. I'd be lucky to make captain by 2014. Pretty simple decision really.

Typhoonpilot

I think it's true that there are a lot of corporate jobs out there that match the pay and QOL at the airlines but the airlines are in the business of flying airplanes so unless they actually fail (which doesn't happen very often with the Legacy's anymore) I still think it's more stable, even though I've been furloughed twice. :smash:

I had a job offer from General Dynamics the same week I got hired at CAL and I took CAL. GD offered great benefits and a decent salary but I didn't see that job lasting another 25 years so I went with CAL. Some people thought I was crazy but that GD job no longer exists.

Who knows what will happen in the next 25 years but I think if you have a seniority number at a Legacy, you will retire at at Legacy. It may not have the same name as it did when you started but the job will be there.

Uniform, Happy New Year.

The best advice is go where you want and be happy without looking back.

Good call on the CAL vs. GD. Very good....

Good point on the value of a seniority number. But it doesn't always keep its value. I don't have to point out USAir, but that is the most recent example. 7 short years ago folks thought it had a very high value. Folks held on even though they were furloughed a SECOND time after 9/11. Now it is near worthless for those deep into furlough. You could say it's value slowly eroded or was never worth that much to begin with. I would dare say being deep in the AA furlough is equally worthless. Even though Int FO's and all Captains are doing great at a still great company. I'll let you decide.

PanAm, Eastern, Braniff. Some hung on for Braniff II. We just don't know whether or not UAL, NWA, DAL, or USAir will end up like them. And the value of your seniority number seems to drop daily as new job opportunities crop up or your former airline continues to furlough/fails to recall as they park additional aircraft or increases productivity and rape work rules.

And I'm not trying to be dramatic. Just looking forward 10-20 years instead of the standard 2-5 most seem to look.

Last edited:
The "best job" is to be in the back of a corporate jet, but not serving drinks.

If you can sleep at night knowing you probably stabbed everyone in the back, manipulated and exploited others and raped people of money getting there which is probably what most of those people did to get there.

Tell that to the US Airways pilots who have recently reached retirement age while still on furlough!

I know it doesn't always work out the way you plan and I really do feel for those guys. It's happened to me twice already and I'm only 36.

I guess my point is if you look at all the "Legacy's" over the last 20 years (DAL, UAL, NWA, CAL, AA, TWA, USAir-including all the merged ones) and come up with a percentage of pilots still working for the same "Legacy" or another one that bought/merged with their airline, there is a much higher percentage of pilots who will retire at that airline than there are pilots who lost their job never to return.

I know there are some exceptions but if you look at it on a percentage basis only you still have a pretty good chance at retiring with the first Legacy that hired you or another one that merged with it.

There will definitely be some hiccups along the way but, in my opinion only, a seniority number at a Legacy is still a pretty good bet.

Latest resources

Back