• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many have quit a legacy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I resigned from Delta (it was airline 5 for me) outright in late '05. I'd spent 6 years there, and 22 years flying for money. I was just so done with the current trappings of airline flying: moronic management, an irrelevant union, crappy hotels, commuting in RJ's, and inane security people. Mostly though, I felt that it was long past time to move on to something positive. I also feel very fortunate having been able to do so. I certainly don't miss the airline job one bit, but do greatly miss many of the people. I'm now back in school full-time and loving life.

Heyas Felix,

I did the exact same thing.

I was sitting one day waiting to commute home, and I added up all the time of my life this industry wastes...waiting to commute, waiting for the employee bus, waiting for the hotel shuttle, staring at the four walls of the hotel, waiting for the next airplane. Like one of those B movies, I could literally see the pages of the calendar being whipped away by the wind, and I just couldn't stand to see any more of my life wasted.

I took a leave, and went back to school. Best decision I ever made. I'm working on my Phd, and every single day I learn something cool, get to play with neat toys, and converse with people who aren't pissed off %100 of the time, and might be interested in talking about something other than the latest round of management screw jobs.

As a bonus I get to sleep in my own bed every night, and actually MAKE plans because I know what I'll be doing next week, and have a potential of a real, honest social life.

It was like waking up from a bad dream...

Glad to hear someone else made a good call. Good luck!

Nu

OK,
A bit of thread drift here, but, indulge me when I ask the question: CAL or JBLU?
Currently there are several of us here at B6 sitting in the left seat with average to above average schedules, on furloughed LOA from CAL. Come 2008 we will need to make a decision to leave B6 and return to CAL or remain at B6.
I have run some numbers and if I leave B6 and return to CAL in 2008, I would come out ahead about $200K by age 60. That being said, I assumed today's pay rates at both carriers, and made no assumptions about continued solvency of the CAL retirement plan. Another salient issue is the age 65 rule and possible merger integration, if such transaction occurs.
It is a roll of the dice, I know, but I ask the FI crowd to chime in: if you were a captain at B6 and had a chance to go back to CAL, what would you do? Crystal balls welcome! Happy New Year, btw,

#1 W

OK,
A bit of thread drift here, but, indulge me when I ask the question: CAL or JBLU?
Currently there are several of us here at B6 sitting in the left seat with average to above average schedules, on furloughed LOA from CAL. Come 2008 we will need to make a decision to leave B6 and return to CAL or remain at B6.
I have run some numbers and if I leave B6 and return to CAL in 2008, I would come out ahead about $200K by age 60. That being said, I assumed today's pay rates at both carriers, and made no assumptions about continued solvency of the CAL retirement plan. Another salient issue is the age 65 rule and possible merger integration, if such transaction occurs.
It is a roll of the dice, I know, but I ask the FI crowd to chime in: if you were a captain at B6 and had a chance to go back to CAL, what would you do? Crystal balls welcome! Happy New Year, btw,

#1 W

talked to a fella the other day who did exactly that. left JetBlue and returned to CAL. he was an E190 CA and returns to CAL just 80 #'s shy of 737 CA EWR. he will hold CA on the upcoming bid.

if that's your situation and you maintain some amount of CAL longevity while gone to JetBlue then i say CAL is the best bet. who knows in this industry, but CAL's plans seem more solid than JetBlue's right now.

tomorrow that might change though. or next year. or next decade. who knows?

OK,

#1 W

Go to CAL. Our stock options are gonna reach a peak right about when you leave, maybe that will help a little too.

Some Delta 767 Captain quit Delta last year to grab what he could of his pension and then went to SWA. Been told he's having fun and enjoying himself and has a great atitude.

I also know of a UAL 12 year 737 Captain, a 7 year Delta guy, and several 15 to 20 year USAirways guys who also went to SWA.

Longevity is THE issue. Most of us at B6 have to go back to year 1 pay at CAL (30K vs 130K). I maintain my seniority at CAL and could currently hold 757 right seat (EWR). I would be back at even par on pay rate in about 6-8 years, depending on airframe. It's a tough call given the age 65 rule and a possible merger. I don't look a gift horse in the mouth, believe me, I feel fortunate to have an option but am curious to opinion on this board.

-#1W

Best advise, yet...

Uniform, Happy New Year.

The best advice is go where you want and be happy without looking back.

.....you can compare and chase the illusive best "gig" out there, but it all boils down to if you are happy and like what you do and who you do it for. No job is perfect.

Longevity is THE issue. Most of us at B6 have to go back to year 1 pay at CAL (30K vs 130K). I maintain my seniority at CAL and could currently hold 757 right seat (EWR). I would be back at even par on pay rate in about 6-8 years, depending on airframe. It's a tough call given the age 65 rule and a possible merger. I don't look a gift horse in the mouth, believe me, I feel fortunate to have an option but am curious to opinion on this board.

-#1W

yeah. i guess things would be easier if you held 737 CA on the bid. then it's no change in income.

it's a good dilemna to deal with. either way i think you're in good shape.

-#1W

Ouch. You didn't say that. Don't go for that kind of pay cut. Just sweat out the rough times ahead at jb (2007-2030).

I left my old legacy carrier before everyone else did...back in 1995. Many friends told me I was crazy. Today, many of them have interviewed here....some have even been hired. I had always admired the SWA model from afar and decided that I wanted to finally be part of a winning team...especially after my old legacy gave me a 737 type...thought it was time to use it.

If I would've had one more grievance filed against me for helping to clean up the cabin, or getting a stroller out of a baggage bin, I was gonna go nuts. Maybe thats the corporate culture that drove that legacy into BK....twice. Besides, had I stayed at the legacy carrier, I would be back as an F/O today, and paying assessments for a merger that I don't want anything to do with.

Still just as thrilled to be here today as I was the first day I came here.

Tejas

Latest resources

Back