How many have quit a legacy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good Move

Quit UAL w/ 7+ years in 05' to goto UPS.
Great career move! I wouldn't even consider leaving my freight job to go fly passengers, the freight side is way more stable than the pax side, when it comes to a flying job!

The only place I'm going if I ever leave Atlas, is FedEx or UPS, the pay at Atlas is the same in some cases, but is much better than a lot of the Legacy/Major carriers these days, with all the pay and benefits cuts those pilot groups had to endure in recent times!

Hired at Delta in Jan 00. Left for SWA in May. Don't know if I'd of left for any other airline. So far so good.

My story is abit different: I quit AWA in Dec. 2000 and started at NetJets Aviation; due to a prolonged illness with my wife. We where unable to relocate to PHX and the commute was hell from south Gulf Coast area. Many of my friends that I was crazy but understood my wife's needs come first.

Well, now its January 2007 and I earn over $125K per year, have fly from/to my home town, 100% fully funded health/medical & dental, 401K with 50% match to the full federal limit, 7&7 schedules, 3weeks vaction that really work out to 9weeks a year, I keep all the airline miles and hotel points (so my vactions are free) and a Union that is making positive steps toward securing NJA as a long term career.

I watched in shock and disbelieve as the events of 9-11-01 have eroded a once proud and noble profession. I still do miss flying a Boeing but in my stituation things have worked at well. Not everyting at NJA is prefect but it does beat unemployment. I am lucky...:)

Here's a question for everyone:

If you were new at CAL (less than a year) and got offered a job by SWA, would you leave CAL for SWA?

Here's a question for everyone:

If you were new at CAL (less than a year) and got offered a job by SWA, would you leave CAL for SWA?

I think previous poster's response where he said go where you gonna be happy. If you want to fly 737 for the rest of your career and they have a base where you'd wanna live, then go. If you want to fly 787s, 777s, 767s, 757s, or 737s and like either IAH, CLE, EWR then why leave? If you're on property at CAL you're probably #600 or so in the beginning of a huge hiring boom. I dont know the numbers for SWA but i do know they've been hiring 500+(?) for a few years now. Just something to think about. Either way just do what makes you happy.

Double Shot,

Were you hired prior to Sept 05, if so you were senior to me and i'd like to congratulate you on SWA. :beer: Also, how did your CAL sponsor take the news that you were jumping ship?

dk

you can compare and chase the illusive best "gig" out there, but it all boils down to if you are happy and like what you do and who you do it for. No job is perfect.

I agree 100%

Happy New Year Jeff.

I think previous poster's response where he said go where you gonna be happy. If you want to fly 737 for the rest of your career and they have a base where you'd wanna live, then go. If you want to fly 787s, 777s, 767s, 757s, or 737s and like either IAH, CLE, EWR then why leave? If you're on property at CAL you're probably #600 or so in the beginning of a huge hiring boom. I dont know the numbers for SWA but i do know they've been hiring 500+(?) for a few years now. Just something to think about. Either way just do what makes you happy.

Double Shot,

Were you hired prior to Sept 05, if so you were senior to me and i'd like to congratulate you on SWA. :beer: Also, how did your CAL sponsor take the news that you were jumping ship?

dk

August 1998
We did not have sponsors back then.
Thanks...I think I helped a lot of peolple move up a couple numbers.Good luck at Cal.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back