• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many have quit a legacy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Right now, the only way I can justify going back to AA (AA/TWA furloughee) is if my corporate pay stagnates (or the department really cuts back). Even then, I would shop myself around to other GIV/G550 operators before immediately running back to AA.

AND, I can only go back when I can hold CA in the STL cell. Otherwise, it's a pay cut--AND a huge QOL downgrade. Now, I get summer vacations and never gone on Christmas or Thxgiving. I've already blocked off my daughter's graduation weekend--won't have to use "platinum days" like at the airlines.

But I'm constantly evaluating the situation.

But make no mistake about this--I got lucky to find a gig that could replace a 15 year job at a Legacy. The guy who left NWA after 19 years for NJ either married well or is eating into his retirement, IMO.

Good luck to all. TC

A buddy of mine left Delta to go to Southwest back in August. He was just a bit junior to me, so he had been here about 10 years. He was a little uncertain about his decision until the USAir thing came up. Now he said he wakes up every morning and offers thanks that he is not still here.

Can't say I blame him. I would take a new hire position at Southwest over staying at Delta and going through a merger with USAir any day.

I resigned from Delta (it was airline 5 for me) outright in late '05. I'd spent 6 years there, and 22 years flying for money. I was just so done with the current trappings of airline flying: moronic management, an irrelevant union, crappy hotels, commuting in RJ's, and inane security people. Mostly though, I felt that it was long past time to move on to something positive. I also feel very fortunate having been able to do so. I certainly don't miss the airline job one bit, but do greatly miss many of the people. I'm now back in school full-time and loving life.

Retired as well from ANG F-16's, so my big arse will probably never again find its way into another cockpit - unless it's open, and the airplane has 4 wings and a round motor...

Cheers and Happy New Year to all. Life's really fine here on the other side!

Felix

I guess that should tell all of the guys and gals that want to go to DAL something.

It won't matter. My worst day at TWA (operationally speaking) was still better than my best day at Air Wisconsin (and that was when ARW was flying F27's and Bae-146's). TC

02/97, 21+ years to retirement, projected #14 at retirement. Just couldn't imagine myself doing it for another 20+ years.

I think this illustrates the new reality of our profession.

In the past, there were a select number of corporate gigs that were better than the airlines (for most people). Now, there are probably a lot of corporate jobs that are better.

The downside of both is that either one can go away at any time. Corporate flight departments can go away at the stoke of a pen (new CEO, Netjets, BK, or even if the company just needs to cut costs).

Airline jobs are not much safer.....although seniority helps. But throw in another terrorist attack or two (or stupid merger) and all bets are off.

That being said, it must be one hell of a corporate gig for you to leave that kind of seniority at DAL. I experienced the corporate lifestyle in a previous life and I wouldn't trade good seniority at DAL for any corporate job that I know of....although to be fair, the corporate job that I had 12 years ago was less than stellar (and has since been replaced by Netjets).

In any case, I wish you luck in your career.

Abe44

Abe--The good thing about corporate is that your experience counts for something. If you were a 604 captain and your department shuts down, you go looking for another job as a 604 captain. None of this start at the bottom crap.

But! There still aren't that many really good corporate jobs out there--especially if you don't live in the N.E.

The quality of the airlines has declined so much from when I got hired it doesn't take a "really good" corporate job to match the pay and QOL of the airlines. You just have to be aware that any job can be gone tomorrow. TC

Latest resources

Back