How hot is your cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"115 C in PSP"

Gawd, I hope you meant 115 F! What would 115 C be... 239 F??

From my own personal experience, my current experience of stewing in my own juices in a Saab A-model notwithstanding, the worst offender in the "hot aeroplane" department is a 1900 with the VCM MEL'd (the Beech ACM is nearly useless). Nearly had an open revolt in a fully-loaded Beech on the hottest day in memory in HPN, summer 2001... Sitting off the ramp, waiting for a gate, OAT over 100deg F, and after half an hour I was very nearly being threatened by the passengers... Who were actually coming up to the cockpit and yelling at us! Finally shut down #1, opened the main door and the cargo door, threw down the hinged part of the divider between the cabin and the cargo compartment, and sat for another 15 mins like that before we got a gate.

The funny part?

The REASON we didn't have a gate was that Allegheny was delaying their departure until their FO arrived (for those who don't know, HPN routinely makes arrivals wait until a gate is vacated by "company", even if it's only "company" in the sense that you serve the same system).

WHERE was that FO?

In the back of our airplane, of course, being verbally assaulted by the passengers. Poor guy was in uniform, incurring the wrath of the pax who were lashing out at the horrible airlines. :)

CAP10B said:
Hugh,

T-37....Del Rio.....summertime

feel my pain

I've felt that pain too. Trust me on this one. I think the difference might just be the survival vest underneath the Parachute, not to mention the canopy must be closed at all times while the engine is running (except as I remember during hot student swapouts with the IP on O2).

Now remember, I'm bitching within the context of a spoiled airline pilot flying a modern air-conditioned (?) jet. Those of you in 182's, 310's, T-37's, and so on and so forth are on your own! :D

(Like they told us in the Army: "DRINK...WATERRRRRRR!")

Last edited:
I.P. Freley said:
Sitting off the ramp, waiting for a gate, OAT over 100deg F, and after half an hour I was very nearly being threatened by the passengers...who were actually coming up to the cockpit and yelling at us!
During boarding in Chicago, my younger brother had a woman yell at him that he was a lousy captain because of the heat in the Saab. (Or maybe it was cold. I can't remember. It was "too" something.) She became so abusive that he finally threw her off the aircraft.

A couple days later he was in the chief pilots office. They wanted to know why he'd thrown their parent company's assistant V.P. of Customer Service off the airplane. :D

(He didn't get in any trouble...her boss didn't like her either.)

Sweet avatar of the Black Widow, BTW...

:)

256 pax in a DC-8 with NO packs or fans sittin on the ramp in Jedda(Saudia) for two hours is HOT HOT HOT. You know its bad when it starts raining inside the airplane.:cool:

I.P. Freley said:
Sweet avatar of the Black Widow...
It's my wife's grandfather's, #9583. 418th NFS, Okinawa.

With the CRJ, I think the key is to keep the aircraft cool and not let it get hot. If you have the same aircraft all day, then start the APU asap and leave it running anytime that you are on the ground. When it's hot outside, I set the temp. controllers to full cold on the descent. That way when we land, all the ducts and the cabin is cool. If the ducts are cool, then it's much easier to cool the airplane. Another thing that you can do is to have the external air (if available) hooked up and running. Run the external air and the APU and you should get some pretty good flow. And make sure that there are no "kinks" in the external air hose. You won't get much airflow with a kink in the line. As previously stated, open all vents in the cabin, galley, and flight deck. Close all window shades. Use window shades for both cockpit windows. And keep the main cabin door curtain closed to keep the heat and humidity out.

I think it all depends on the APU and how worn out the packs are. I've been in some aircraft where they cool well, and others where the airflow is weak. But with external air, all aircraft cool down quickly.

Hi Guys,
I think I might have all of you best on this one...Try flying around in an SH-60F with the ECS INOP and wearing a wetsuit for three-hours of plane guard. Oh and while you are at how about handling a mail run to the "cowboys" and humping a cabin full of mail while in said wetsuit! I sure don't miss any of that!
So, nowadays when I swelter in the cockpit of a Sundowner I remember what being really hot felt like!

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Latest resources

Back