How hot is your cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LearLove said:
"Our new APU policy doesn't help, too. Light it up 3 min prior to push, or 10 min if environmentally necessary, when we begin boarding 20 min prior."

Ouch. Does anyone comply with this?

unfortunately, yes...

....still beats a 140F, 100% humid fire room in a tin can out in the Persian Gulf the 1st time around with Saddam. We supposedly had a 15 minute "stay time," but they pushed it out to the regular 5-hour watch as long as we stayed in the 110F outside air vent blast between hourly log readings!

LearLove said:
"Our new APU policy doesn't help, too. Light it up 3 min prior to push, or 10 min if environmentally necessary, when we begin boarding 20 min prior."

Ouch. Does anyone comply with this?

Sh*t dont give AMR Ideas!!!
I have to admit that it gets really hot with the APU mel'd AND
1 pack inop, no aircart. Dam* it was hottt..

Like someone else posted, cold-soaking on the way down is the way to go. Of course, then everyone closes their eyeball vents, so you either have to have the FA's open 'em again, or have 'em make an announcement . . . . . something along the lines of, "as a courtesy to the next group of passengers, please reach up and open the vent above you".

When we are in the Bahamas, we usually have the FA's close all the windowshades, too, if we have to shut down the APU for any reason.

I always run the gasper fan during engine start- when I'm riding in the back, I don;t like to sit there without any air flow while they are starting the engines, and I am sure many pax notice this too. Even if the air flowing isn;t cool, it at least isn;t stifling, too.

I'm surprised that the DCI carriers would skimp on the APU- we LLC slobs try to minimize its use, too, but only when the OAT is below 80 degrees!

Last edited:
Ditto on the gasper/recerc fan. I hate it when Capts turn that off to start the eng. There's no reason it needs to be off and nobody at my company can give me a reason why its on the checklist. The worst is when the Capt does the #2 eng start list even before push and the ground crew isn't ready to push so you sit there baking and the pax getting mad. Customer service at its best.

At a metro pax outfit I flew for someone once put a thermometer in the cockpit at the ramp in DFW on a 100 degree day. We had an a/c unit blowing air through the rear bulkhead, and a sunshade in front of the windshield. The thing read 159F ! We had to endure that day in-day out. One fo once suffered from heat exhaustion. And the packs on a metro are not very strong, so it stays very hot till you are through 10.000' , sweating bullets all the way up there. Since we flew some routes at only 5000' it would never get comfortable.

Hey Metrodriver...sounds like we used to work for the same outfit in DFW. I still remember the day s of sitting in DRT waiting for customs to show up and baking in the Metro.

If i ever find the idiot engineer who made those front windows in a ciation Ultra I want to beat the nuts out of him.

On the ground the freon air is just teasing you.

In flight at 450 who ever is in the sun is baking. In the shade is freezing and the pax are freezing to death.

The cockpit is allways 40 degrees hotter than the back even with the air valve turned full rear.

Then you get down low and all the windows fog up because they are plastic and your wondering where the heck your going.

Bouncing around in the NE the plane never gets cool it just gets cooler than the ground. ARgh

I had the pleasure(?) of flying the SA-227 for a few months during summertime. You can't beat PSP, YUM, PHX, etc. in the summer with the Metros' great ACMs. :D Actually the 'packs' were pretty much worthless. The external air cart helped cool things off a tad before boarding, and once the pax were seated we'd put the air hose back in until time to close the door. Boarding at YUM, for instance, in 110F heat was miserable... door closed, no airflow until the engines were started. Even then it was a trickle of lukewarm air from the eyeball vents.

Enroute to PHX, we climbed the cabin as much as we could to get the hot air out. The cabin temp gauge never came off the peg the entire flight. Then repeat the process during a turn in PHX, still 110F. Next stop, FLG. Enroute in the mid-teens, cabin temp still pegged. I loved FLG though, because with its 7000+' elevation, it was absolutely refreshing to pop open the cabin door at the gate and feel the blast of 75F air with the smell of pine trees. I felt bad for the pax as they staggered off the airplane dripping sweat, but we did all we could for them. A few pax even accused us of having all the cool air up in the cockpit. If they only knew how much hotter it was up there compared to the cabin. And then of course we got to do a CAWI takeoff to get out of there...always an adventure.

These days when we get a plane with weak packs, I grumble a bit as I sweat...but then I think about how much worse it could be. In the CRJ in summer, it seems as though we still fold blankets during every turn. I guess the A/C works better than I thought.

Hey ArcticFlyer, any fond summertime memories of the mighty Metroliner?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back