How hot is your cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Typhoon,

I'll tell you what... I'll fly your new RJ and you can fly my 1975 Baron at 5pm after it's been baking on a 100 degree ramp all day.

Oh, bring a raincoat just in case. Yes, I said a raincoat.

BaronFR8Dog said:
Typhoon, I'll tell you what...I'll fly your new RJ and you can fly my 1975 Baron at 5pm after it's been baking on a 100 degree ramp all day. Oh, bring a raincoat just in case. Yes, I said a raincoat.
:D I instructed in Cherokees and Seminoles in Florida. I feel your pain, bruthuh.

But like I said, this is an airline pilot whining about air conditioning that's below par. Those of you without air conditioning are another story. "It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!"

Birds chirp, dogs bark, cows moo, pilots bitch.

Was flying ship #7040 last week and was #20 something for takeoff at ATL after ramp got us out :20 late (I don't know how you ASA guys keep your sanity!) I don't know if it was a weak APU, or the packs were screwing up, but while waiting in line and swealtering in the cockpit, I checked the ECS page and saw that the cabin pack had dropped offline. Man, I bet it was a sweathouse back there...they never did cool off for a trip to ABE. Needless to say, we dropped off the front pack and brought the rear one back up; that is, until we transferred the bleeds after departure.

Our new APU policy doesn't help, too. Light it up 3 min prior to push, or 10 min if environmentally necessary, when we begin boarding 20 min prior. What ever happened to customer service? If we regularly had air carts...sure, kill the APU, but in summertime with people running to make their connections, I'd like for them to have a nice comfortable, cool cabin to take refuge in.

But, hey, it's still better than flying in a tin can in NM or FL! Like Typhoon said...it sucks to get spoiled!

I've never been hot in the EMB-145. Even the first one off of the assembly line (S/N 004) delivered in 1997 still blows snow in the cockpit even when the OAT is close to 100 F. Oh...but I've paid my dues - two Houston summers on the BE-1900 and one summer on the ATR. It doesn't get any worse.

Wrong

"The funny part?

The REASON we didn't have a gate was that Allegheny was delaying their departure until their FO arrived (for those who don't know, HPN routinely makes arrivals wait until a gate is vacated by "company", even if it's only "company" in the sense that you serve the same system).

WHERE was that FO?"

Wrong - Try again, the summer of 01 Allegheny did not fly into or out of HPN. We only started going back there within the last year or little over a year ago.

"Our new APU policy doesn't help, too. Light it up 3 min prior to push, or 10 min if environmentally necessary, when we begin boarding 20 min prior."

Ouch. Does anyone comply with this?

Another thing is to get some old VFR sectionals for sunshades. They fold nice and work well in the Dash, fitting right into the window frame.

Now we need to lynch the dot head who decided to paint our aircraft dark blue.

I wonder what OSHA would say about this problem?

I'm sure there are some rules regarding temperatures in the work environment. If it is a real problem, it may be worth looking into.

JetPilot500

(Oh god! I'm starting to sound like an ALPA member again! :eek: )

Hi JetPilot,

Nice try, but OSHA refuses to get involved with anything to do with aviation... The FAs various unions have been trying for years, and their attitude is "nope, its an FAA problem, we can't touch it."

Nice thinking, though...

Cheers,
Nu

Can you imagine what OSHA would have to say about the day-to-day work of the average GA mechanic?!:D
If they're content to leave aviation alone then we should leave OSHA alone. We don't need their brand of "help".

Latest resources

Back