• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How hot is your cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the problem with the dash's is that their packs weren't designed to cool down a hot plane,
just keep one cool,
thats why they all have the ports on the tail to plug in the external airmachines (that you see sitting under most jetways with the 1.5' diameter yellow hoses).
then you have the problems with the filter systems plugging up, the paper/cardboard ducting, the silicate style packs to absorb condensation in the ducts (and then plug up said duck) so that the poor pax don't have a drop of water blow out on them with the cool air rather than the rivulets of sweat most of them are emiting because of it.

not to mention that as soon as the packs are turned off during start or takeoff the cockpit goes up at least 5-10 degrees in as many seconds (and hotter sometimes)

JETSNAKE/B190CAPTAIN

Man, you guys are making me look like a rookie with those Avatars!!!!!
But I like the way you think :cool: .

another vote for the metro..

I'll have to cast another vote for the metro! When it's 100 degrees on the ramp, you just cook inside! Hey! I can turn on the "fresh air" fan.. and blow 100 degree air on me.. :D
I know some guys that carry towels with them. Recently, our company got us ONE A/C unit for the main ramp.. of course, now we all just fight over it!! :rolleyes: ;)

flight-crew said:
With the CRJ, I think the key is to keep the aircraft cool and not let it get hot. If you have the same aircraft all day, then start the APU asap and leave it running anytime that you are on the ground. When it's hot outside, I set the temp. controllers to full cold on the descent. That way when we land, all the ducts and the cabin is cool. If the ducts are cool, then it's much easier to cool the airplane. Another thing that you can do is to have the external air (if available) hooked up and running. Run the external air and the APU and you should get some pretty good flow. And make sure that there are no "kinks" in the external air hose. You won't get much airflow with a kink in the line. As previously stated, open all vents in the cabin, galley, and flight deck. Close all window shades. Use window shades for both cockpit windows. And keep the main cabin door curtain closed to keep the heat and humidity out.

I think it all depends on the APU and how worn out the packs are. I've been in some aircraft where they cool well, and others where the airflow is weak. But with external air, all aircraft cool down quickly.

That's all fine and peachy if your airline wasn't so cheap that they require the APU be shut down for all but quick turns...

Even the AA guys are going without APUs on turns, but hey, that POWERBACK sure saves tug gas!!!!

Short-sighted management morons can't figure out the simple thermodynamic principle that it's more feasible to just leave it running.

Last edited:
One idea that we have sucessfully used on the Be1900D is to open the top of the bulkhead in the rear of the cabin, pull the hose from the A/C cart through the cargo door, and hang it in the cabin. You can get it quite cool in there. Pull it out right before boarding and board as quickly as possible.

Otherwise imagine a dark blue 1900 in STL when it is 100 F with the VCM mel'ed and no GPU to run the fans. I am amazed we haven't had any cases of heatstroke.

"Hello and welcome to Sheppard Air Force Base in sunny Texas. Today's high for your T-37B flying enjoyment will be ONE BILLION DEGREES."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back