How hot is your cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hugh Jorgan said:
I defy anyone to find a hotter cockpit than a T-34 in Corpus Christi in the summer. Wearing a helmet, Survival vest and Parachute adds to the pleasure.

A Chinook in the Middle East, while waiting to start the engines wearing a helmet, survival vest with front and back kevlar plates in MOPP 3 .

CH47d is correct!

I spent many months in the hot desert with all of the garbage we have to wear (which I am still amazed that we can even move our arms to get to the flight controls) with the OAT guage peged at over 50 degrees CELCIUS. That is freaking hot even after we get the rotors turning. That is one thing I will never miss about the missions we had to perform in that aircraft.

Hugh wrote - I defy anyone to find a hotter cockpit than a T-34 in Corpus Christi in the summer. Wearing a helmet, Survival vest and Parachute adds to the pleasure

Have you ever been to Howard AFB in Panama during their summer at around 1400 or so?. It is 96-100+ degrees with 99% humidity (I think it is really 110%, but that is just me). That is not just hot, it is miserable! Been to KNGP many times during the summer doing mission support and I can ensure you it isnt even close. OK, maybe a little close, but dont you have AC on those T34's?

How to stay cool in the summer

On the Beech, you can pull a knob that decreases cabin airflow and increases cockpit airflow. Pull that knob out. Pull out the defrost air knob as well. Pull your pant legs up above your knees. Straighten your legs out and place them between the peddles. The VCS/ACM airflow will flow up your pant legs and cool you down quite a bit.

!

chperplt said:
On the Beech, you can pull a knob that decreases cabin airflow and increases cockpit airflow. Pull that knob out. Pull out the defrost air knob as well. Pull your pant legs up above your knees. Straighten your legs out and place them between the peddles. The VCS/ACM airflow will flow up your pant legs and cool you down quite a bit.

What about the pax? I'd hate to deadhead on your flight in a hot summer. :D

I can agree that the mighty beech 1900 was only designed in flight in frozen tundras or cool climates because the aircraft on the ground has abslolutely no cool air when the engines are shut down.

There is no receptacle for ground ac units and no independent ac system that does not require the engine to be running. Although I did fly one 1900 (UB-series) that did have a GROUND COOL feature. I remember it only worked once and then disconnected.

I remember in a steamy day in Tampa, we actually used the jetway ground air conditioning hoses and strapped and secured them in the cabin to cool it down. WOW, did it get frosty in there!! LOL!!

I have spent many occasions burning up in that cockpit when my oat reads around 37-40C. In fact, those days are not over for me, YET!!

:D

Fly safe!!

Metrodriver & Thedude,

I've been around a while, and have flown a wide variety of equipment, but I'd have to agree...ain't nothing hotter than the Mighty Metro in Texas (or the Mighty Metro anywhere, for that matter!!) Even in the relative cool of the Colorado Rockies, you baked under that greenhouse windscreen, with no way to get any air whatsoever.

A quick story. When I flew the Metro for a regional (I guess it was a "commuter" in those days) in TX, a couple of the more enterprising pilots routed some clear plastic tubing from the eyeball outlets in the coat closet up to the cockpit and stuffed these down their shirts in an effort to get even a LITTLE relief. One of the pax noticed this tubing, and wrote to the company wanting to know why the pilots were getting oxygen, and the pax were not. True. :cool:

Hey B190Capt,

I too flew the mighty 1900 (UCs and UBs). The AC would work well enough once the engines were started (if the VCS was working), but you're right...on the ground you were toasty.

What was the tail number of that UB that had the ground AC unit? I too flew a UB with that unit installed. It would only work when there was external power plugged in (an on), and nobody could tell us exactly how it worked.

Best,
Nu

What about the pax? I'd hate to deadhead on your flight in a hot summer.

I didn't say I cut the air off completely... just that I decreased the airflow. They still get plenty of air. As a passenger, wouldn't you want your flight crew to be comfortable??;)

Assist your FA in pulling down the shades
and open every gasper valve there is, if
you close the pax door you need to open the
Avionics bay door on the CRJ, the front one,
This will prevent any pressurization problems
if you leave the aircraft, simply meaning, if
your FA or rampers come and open the door
and your not there, it won't pop open on then
injuring someone by mistake, this has happened
in the past.

If your company doesn't have the new mod in
which to hook up to an AC cart, if your APU is INOP,
have then run the AC cart line through the service
door at least 10 feet to cool the plane. The other option
is to make every attractive female strip down to
disperse the heat from there hot little bodies.

Last edited:
NuGuy said:
Hey B190Capt,

I too flew the mighty 1900 (UCs and UBs). The AC would work well enough once the engines were started (if the VCS was working), but you're right...on the ground you were toasty.

What was the tail number of that UB that had the ground AC unit? I too flew a UB with that unit installed. It would only work when there was external power plugged in (an on), and nobody could tell us exactly how it worked.

Best,
Nu

N189GA (UB series 1900)

Latest resources

Back