How do I get a JB Interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
quota system

it's been around since affirmative action has been around...and "long time" is an ambiguous definition. besides...if it's one person and a day or if it's 10000 people and 35 years...does it really matter? it's the principle...what's right and what's wrong. personally i hope the courts change over the next four years and we see affirmative action go away...will be wonderful for all concerned. as far as the statistics (percentage of female pilots at jetBlue) quoted earlier...doesn't have a lick to do with the point about affirmative action...if 1% of your applicants are female and 4% of your pilots are female...that's the numbers game. the writer of that earlier post implied that since only 4% of the pilots are female...ergo no problem right....ludicrous and illogical. what factors go into the process? the fact is none of us will ever know what the percentages are. none of us will ever know the policy of the compnay.

i don't know, but i do suspect that there are "target groups"...the company is trying to hire more of...XY and Z type people (race and gender fill in the blank)...and that the percentage of "eligible/qualified applicants hired" is higher than it is for "nontarget groups." fact is it's legal for them to do this...in some courts...and others challenge and disagree...ruth bader ginsburg/david souter or antonin scalia/clarence thomas...they disagree too...that's why this country is great. many corporations do exactly what is described here...they think it's a good corporate policy...i think it's rubbish.

bottom line is no clown who writes on this board for giggles knows what those "company" numbers are because they (jetBlue) are worried about lawsuits...can't blame them either. so it hasn't been that long huh? i'm 38 and have been living with affirmative action my whole life...so i think it's long enough...don't want my son to be placed in the same unfair advantage because he has a white penis...and i think it's wrong that my daughter's vagina gives her an advantage...just one person's opinion. and yea i read it and i get it. you thought the post was great...i thought it was wrong.

Last edited:
FearlessFreep said:
jetblue320,

What I referencing is that all the rhetoric about minorities was not specific to how JB wants to handle it. (Actually 4-6% women is higher than the averages I have seen which is more like 1-2%) It was in reference to the ludicrous behavior of people who have nothing better to do than beat that old drum - a little tiring and juvenile. The quota system has not been in place in aviation for a long time. People just need to get over it. It's just an easy scapegoat issue for people to use for their inability to score a job at the company of their choice. The people that usually spout that garbage are the ones that have not had to experience what it is like to sit on the other side of the fence. It has nothing to do with who the minorities are, only what they were born as - not something anyone has a lot of control over.

As to where someone wants to work and what their expectations are - that's something different. People have a choice to seek employment at any company that they think will work for them or they can work with. It's an opinion - and people get to have them; even if they are contrary to what others might think. I find the opinions of both the 'drinkers and non-drinkers' to be entertaining & inspirational! JetBlue works for you and I am glad that it does. That is not to say that it will be an acquired taste for all.

Take Care & Good Luck To All!
Do you also believe that those questions about your race and gender on employment applications are " strictly for tracking purposes?" If so, I gotta bridge.......................

Don’t worry dude. There will always be plenty of opportunities for white sexist, homophobic, racist bigots in aviation. I trust they will always be there whining about how unlucky they are being white and male.

"The quota system has not been in place in aviation for a long time."

Sorry, but even one day of the best qualified person not getting a job because of a "quota system" is a day too long.

There are two kinds of quota system: 1) Those put in place because a company lost a lawsuit and has to make-up for proven past discrimination as a penalty (I don't have a problem with this type, as long as the program ends at a pre-determined point when the past discrimination has been made-up for) 2) The other type of quota system that is far to common is the voluntary, HR Department induced kind. This is where some HR egg-head decides that we need diversity. Why have diversity when there is no discrimination, let the best qualified person get the job.

Last edited:
Flying Freddie said:
Don’t worry dude. There will always be plenty of opportunities for white sexist, homophobic, racist bigots in aviation. I trust they will always be there whining about how unlucky they are being white and male.
You want to know about racism? Just look at what all the leftists call conservative blacks and other minorities that oppose racial quotas. The leftists are always yammering about " celebrating diversity" except when you disagree with them politically. Then in their eyes, you're a racist.

inline said:
Yo' ass wanna know about racism? Plum peek at whut all da leftists call
conservative ebonys an' otha' minorities dat oppose racial quotas. Da leftists
be 24/7 yammerin' about " celebratin' diversity" 'escept when yo' ass disagree
wit' them political-like. Den in deir eyes, u r some racist.
Sure buddy...

it will go away eventually

In the late 18th century...slavery was a something the founding fathers kept "off the table." The civil war abolished slavery, but didn't abolish discrimination. Sadly, the despite the good intentions of the civil rights movement, reverse discrimination has been part of our society for the last 40 year. Thankfully, the it is being challenged more...and like all things that are wrong...in a democratic society eventually it will be questioned...debated...and eradicated.

Affirmative Action May Reach Mich. Ballot
January 06, 2005 6:35 PM EST
LANSING, Mich. - A group seeking to ban race and gender-based preferences in university admissions and government hiring says it submitted more than 508,000 signatures to state elections officials Thursday.

The Michigan Civil Rights Initiative expects to easily certify the minimum 317,757 signatures of Michigan voters needed to put the proposed constitutional amendment on the November 2006 ballot.

The amendment aims to stop public agencies and universities from granting preferential treatment based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin or sex - tenets of some affirmative action programs.

"I think it's a challenge-proof initiative," said Ward Connerly, a group leader who previously led a successful ballot initiative dismantling most affirmative action programs in California. State elections officials will review the petitions over the next few months.

Group leaders have said they do not seek a ban on all affirmative action programs, but opponents said the campaign has passed out some fliers that read "help end `affirmative action.'"

"It is a massive campaign of deceit," said David Waymire, spokesman for the opposition group, Citizens for a United Michigan. "People are being misled."

The initiative gained steam after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2003 that the University of Michigan's law school could consider race when admitting students to create a diverse student body.

At the same time, the court struck down an undergraduate university policy that gave minorities a 20-point bonus in a point-based applicant screening system. The university later revised the policy to include a more comprehensive review of each application.

Jennifer Gratz, executive director of the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative and one of two white applicants who filed a case against the university after being denied undergraduate admission, said the campaign is based on the idea that people should be treated equally.

She contended in her legal suit that minority candidates with the same qualifications were given preference.

Connerly, who is black, said preferential treatment based on race and gender is not warranted. "Don't assume minorities need to be treated differently," he said.

Opponents say discrimination still exists and programs to offset it are needed.

University of Michigan President Mary Sue Coleman said the proposal goes beyond admissions and would limit recruiting, mentoring and financial aid programs. "It is about closing the door to higher education for many," she said.

The initiative failed to get the amendment on the November 2004 ballot because the campaign was slowed down by legal challenges over the petition's wording.

Latest resources

Back