How Did the 9-11 Hijackers Navigate?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FearlessFreep said:
They were successful. I doesn't matter how they did it. This discussion is a bit morbid.

Instead of wondering how they were able to navigate we should be working on putting a stop to all this terrorism. I have a few good ideas. Too bad I am not able to post them here.
A vor, a gps, a fms...really? You guys would give them that much credit? How hard could it be? A caveman could do it! Push forward, houses get bigger. Pull back, houses get smaller.

I bet you guys think the terroists used calls, profiles and a checklist?

I've seen IFR students bust their ride because they played with their trimble handheld and these terrorist guys weren't no IFR students.

FearlessFreep said:
They were successful. I doesn't matter how they did it. This discussion is a bit morbid.

Instead of wondering how they were able to navigate we should be working on putting a stop to all this terrorism. I have a few good ideas. Too bad I am not able to post them here.
Well I think the question is well within good taste. I'm not interested in the morbid details of what happened, I'm just interested about how 5 guys could take over an airplane at Flight Level, and then navigate it to its intended target.

Obviously they did and were successful, but this is one aspect of the WTC attacks that I've never read about or heard discussed.

User997 said:
Well I think the question is well within good taste. I'm not interested in the morbid details of what happened, I'm just interested about how 5 guys could take over an airplane at Flight Level, and then navigate it to its intended target.

Obviously they did and were successful, but this is one aspect of the WTC attacks that I've never read about or heard discussed.
Which terrorists took over a plane at flight levels and then navigated it?

FN FAL said:
A vor, a gps, a fms...really? You guys would give them that much credit? How hard could it be, a cave man could do it. Push forward, houses get bigger. Pull back, houses get smaller.
It's not about how could they fly the 757, you're right, a cave man could probably do it - especially since landing wasn't an issue. From the sounds of that documentary they about lost control of the airplane on more then one occasion as well.

BUT, I am almost 100% confident, that when they busted in the cockpit, and took over control of the airplane, they weren't within eye sight of NYC... and was able to just point the nose towards it and go. There had to have been some sort of navigation to get within VFR view of the area.

redd said:
Here's an interesting article about Flight 11.

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/redux.htm

At the very least, the pilot or co-pilot should¹ve been able to send the emergency alert code, activated from no less than four places in the cockpit of a Boeing 767, including the steering yoke.

So is this alert code thing, soemthing specific to the 767...me thinks article is full of crap

Fearless,

What's morbid about it, it's a simple quirry as to how it happened by someone who doesn't fly in that area.

Your response is a bit on the emotional side, I don't see as to why you'd want to censure other pilots about something that could potentially happen again, and in their own industry?

Who cares if it's morbid, there is a whole agency called the NTSB that dedicates itself to disecting every accident this way, it's normal for pilots to glob onto every accident report in all of their morbid detail.

Wm,

I only chose that article becasue it had some info regarding the flight position after the takeover, the rest probably is bunk.

Last edited:
User997 said:
It's not about how could they fly the 757, you're right, a cave man could probably do it - especially since landing wasn't an issue. From the sounds of that documentary they about lost control of the airplane on more then one occasion as well.

BUT, I am almost 100% confident, that when they busted in the cockpit, and took over control of the airplane, they weren't within eye sight of NYC... and was able to just point the nose towards it and go. There had to have been some sort of navigation to get within VFR view of the area.
Well, let's sort this out logically.

There were two planes that the WTC...where did they come from?

There was one plane that hit the Pentagon...where did it come from?

Then there was that one plane that kind of meandered around a bit, then it wound up in a field in PA...where did it come from?

handheld GPS.. direct to target.. disconnect autopilot (on the yoke usually, right?), then all you have to work are throttles, stick, rudder, and trim.....seriously, given their "starting point" of established cruise flight, is there anything more to it whether its a C172 or B747?

I would put my money on a handheld gps.

Latest resources

Back