Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Another thread on here reminded me of a discussion I was having with a co-pilot the other day while watching a History Channel documentary on Flight 11 that was the first airline to crash into the World Trade Center.

The show indicated that almost immediately after gaining control of the airplane, they turned off the trandsponder, and autopilot, and began hand flying the airplane.

My question is this: Once the hijackers took control of the airplane, how did they navigate the plane from somewhere outside of Boston to two "tiny" buildings in NYC? Do you think the hijackers would've been savvy with the FMS, or did they use some other form of navigatoin?

Has anyone ever heard of an explanation how this was possibly accomplished?

I never thought of that. I too would like to know.

By the way, I never knew that there was actually a video of the FIRST plane hitting the WTC. There seems to be a glitch with video, but it will work if you click on the link, and then right-click and save target as:

http://www.airdisaster.com/download/wtc.shtml

I cannot imagine standing somewhere and watching something like this.

Last edited:
Navigate? MK1 MOD-0 eyeball? The entire country was severe clear that day...in fact, the one group had a hard time finding the White House, so they went to the biggest most prominant landmark they could find, the Pentagon (if I'm not mistaken?).

Last edited:
i watched this history channel thing about this and they said that they navigated by following the river to NY. apparently is was severely clear that day and NYC can be seen from 50 or so miles away

For FN_FAL and Kream.... were they that close to NYC when they took over the airplane that they could just "looked out the window" and seen the city, or the Hudson River?

I've never lived up in the North-East, so I'm not too familiar with the actual geography of the Hudson, but could they have done that?

I know that towards the end they were using the Hudson, but surely they hadn't done that the whole way to NYC???

Is there a chance they we're still using VOR/DME maybe? still i wonder how many times in the sim they practiced that maneuver, **** terrorists anyways hope they burn in hell for what they did

I bet they'd practiced on MS Flight sim a hundred times before the real event. Probably they had a handheld gps along also.

They were successful. I doesn't matter how they did it. This discussion is a bit morbid.

Instead of wondering how they were able to navigate we should be working on putting a stop to all this terrorism. I have a few good ideas. Too bad I am not able to post them here.

Latest resources

Back