How busy is your local GA airport?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
KAFluvs2fly said:
oh paaahleeezedo tell....did they give you a progressive to the base of the tower only to find 2 faa guys at the bottom?? please do tell im intrested as to knowing why you would go there when theres tons of others all around that would be glad to take ya..ADS, DAL maybe??

Why would there be two FAA guys waiting for someone that landed at DFW?

Why is it a big deal if someone goes in there? It's an airport, and a public use one. I don't see the problem.

Last time I was at a Class B, I was there...just to go. Went at night and it was a bit slower than DFW, I'm sure, but the guys in approach and Tower were cool. They had me on about a 50 mile final (exaggeration) out over lake Erie, but other than that it was no big deal. Ground gave me a progressive taxi in and out, and tower "opened up" a "closed" runway for me so I didn't have to wait for the airbus' wake. (no good reason it was closed, it just was...so I got 24R with a turn to the north when everyone else was on 24L)

Even before that, I was there in the beginning of a little "push" in the afternoon. Only time it seemed that someone was annoyed was the lady on Gnd when I mis-read a taxi instruction. When she called back, I got it right and it seemed as though all was forgiven. Ahhh the student pilot days.

Just don't plan on flying a mile final at 55kts and I don't think there's any problem.

Class B doesn't mean "Be sure you don't be comin in here now"...just Busy...I don't understand.

Are we on for the "deal"?

-mini

KAFluvs2fly said:
oh paaahleeezedo tell....did they give you a progressive to the base of the tower only to find 2 faa guys at the bottom?? please do tell im intrested as to knowing why you would go there when theres tons of others all around that would be glad to take ya..ADS, DAL maybe??

It was all pretty routine, we had to drop something off, and pick someone up. The only thing different was all the people making smart a$$ comments on the radio.

I went to DAL at around 4PM and left at around 5PM. Other than the 2 southwest 737's on a parrallel & infront of me no major events :/

I did go in IFR though - i'm guessing that helped :)

Good Ol' PDK- Its BIZ JET Country

Home sweet home = DeKalb Peachtree Airport KPDK - Atlanta, Georgia USA

Airport Operational Statistics

Aircraft based on the field: 593Single engine airplanes: 393Multi engine airplanes: 131Jet airplanes: 56Helicopters: 13
1dot.gif
Aircraft operations: avg 639/day64% transient general aviation33% local general aviation2% military1% air taxi

Although not as busy as TEB, VNY, or DVT - a lot goes on here, and definately not for the weekender dr. bonanza crowd.

I have flown into LAX, LAS, ORD, JFK, LGA, EWR, MCO, ATL, MEM, BNA, MDW, DFW, CLT, PHL, RDU, BWI, IAD and BOS all in small single engine pistons. One of my IFR students wanted to get some good actual experience during training so I picked a really crappy low IFR day with some heavy rain and off we went from FRG to JFK, LGA, EWR, PHL, BWI, IAD and PHF all in one evening. Sometimes right in the middle of the busy times- no problems; as long as you know your radios and have half decent IFR skills. Flew into DFW around 10 times last summer in and out in the Citation with no problems at all... and no, didnt ever have any smart a$s remarks either. Just normal normal.

KDWH
Aircraft based on the field: 300
Single engine airplanes: 250
Multi engine airplanes: 29
Jet airplanes: 10
Helicopters: 11
Aircraft operations: avg 612/day
62% local general aviation
36% transient general aviation
1% military
<1% air taxi

Latest resources