How Bad is the coporate life stlye?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Machdog1 said:
Just got furloughed from my second airline and got hired at a coporate outfit out of NY where I live. Good pay and mostly day trips but only 8 days of a 4 of them they can call you in to work little nervous about the schedule how bad is it??

You should not drink and post.

Man, You guys were hard on Mach....Kinda funny, though. I wouldnt expect anything less from a group like us.

We fly airplanes for a living. Almost any flying job is better than the alternative. I dont post very much, but I read the board several times a week. I have pretty much figured out that the quality of every job depends on the attitude and expectations of the individual. If you loved the airline way you probably wont find a corporate job that will ever meet your needs. If you love corporate...yada yada, blah blah..

I am corporate and love it. Thats just me. I work for a solid company, get paid well, have super benifits, and fly nice equipment. ("Solid"=still there,"paid well"=well within my standard of living, "super benifits"=more than I expected, "nice equipment"= works the majority of the time) There are downsides, as with any job, and if those downsides ever get too overwhelming Ill find another line of work. Until that time I can honestly say I am happily employed doing something that I really enjoy.

Mach, if youre wondering how bad your schedule can get...then the answer is "real bad". If you love to fly, then every chance you get to be in that cockpit is a good thing. If you dread having to be anywhere near an airport,any more than you have to....then, well your SOL.

There is always the option of waking up every monday at 0600 to sit in traffic and make it to your desk by 0800. Do what-the-####-ever for 8 hours and go home....5 days a week, every week. (except for your anxiously awaited vacation) You will probably make more money, and have a normal life. Sound good?

Once you determine what an acceptable quality of life is for you and yours, go after it...if that includes flying airplanes then more power to you. Then just enjoy the ride, because one day youll be too old...then you die. So enjoy it while you can.

Good luck. I hope it all works out.

Last edited:
Instead of asking "how bad is corporate aviation" with the obvious prejudice of having been an "airline" pilot, why not ask "HOW GOOD IS IT?" I'm sure a positive attitude will illicit a positive response.

Find a solid company with a proven track record of having (and keeping) a flight dpepartment. There are many huge companies that dump their departments when the economy suffers (quick and easy write off of millions of dollars worth of aircraft and a few personnel) then when the economy rebounds they jump back in the warm waters and start another department. Other companies are secure enough to press on through bad times with what they've got.

...slowto250...Coporate pretty good. Arline better. Reejonal ok. frakshunals great. Flying too mutch make dificult speling. and sentense structure.

Fracs GREAT? You obviously haven't been following the fractional board lately ;) :D

2000Flyer

Corporate vs Airline???

Depends. For me, airlines sucked - by the time all of the dust settled and you figured in the commuting time, I was away from home 20+ days per month. It was a real challenge when you're trying to have a family life as well. I went to corporate and averaged 14 flying days, including 7 RONs, a month for 15 years. Like someone else said, there are good jobs and bad ones. I hope you find a good one.

'Sled

How Bad Is Corporate Life?

I just got back from spending the last four days on the beach down in Key West, Florida. We stayed at a beach resort, and did nothing but sit on the beach and cruise the island in our convertible.

True, sometimes you have to load two SUV's full of luggage into a baggage compartment the size of half a SUV in frigid bone-chilling cold, while the Captain watches from the FBO - but the lifestyle that comes after landing and getting off duty is next to none! Free high dollar hotels, free food, free transportation, free entertainment, it's all taken care of.

You guys shouldn't be all high and mighty about having to load luggage and clean toilets, and stock the galley. Look, if your the First Officer, do it and do it with a smile. That's what you get paid for.

Thanks guys for the post obviously yes I didn't proof read!! **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** you guys are harsh! Sorry for the misleading post I heard that the coporate world, "could", suck I just wanted opinions. Just one other question, whats with these 2 year training contracts how legal are they??

2 year training contract = bad sign. If the company is good they're not going to worry about anyone leaving.

Why do they need a "training contract"

turnover? why?

this is the million dollar question...

sounds like a starter job to break into corp arena but certainly not a winner!!

Think long and hard before signing ANYTHING. I never did and never would.

Just an opinion...

User997 said:
I just got back from spending the last four days on the beach down in Key West, Florida. We stayed at a beach resort, and did nothing but sit on the beach and cruise the island in our convertible.

True, sometimes you have to load two SUV's full of luggage into a baggage compartment the size of half a SUV in frigid bone-chilling cold, while the Captain watches from the FBO - but the lifestyle that comes after landing and getting off duty is next to none! Free high dollar hotels, free food, free transportation, free entertainment, it's all taken care of.

You guys shouldn't be all high and mighty about having to load luggage and clean toilets, and stock the galley. Look, if your the First Officer, do it and do it with a smile. That's what you get paid for.

If you seriously load the luggage by yourself while the PIC watches from the FBO you are a tool.

I would just go sit in the warm airplane and refer the questions to the "Captain" when they ask why nothing is getting done.

Tell the Capt that if he wants a biatch on the trip that he needs to bring his wife.

Get some pride boy.

:D .

Latest resources

Back