• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hot off the press: SWA to hire 450

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your'e wrong only because of our culture of shunning automation here. You would not beleive the trouble we had here trying to use auto-brakes and we still don't utilize them correctly. They still teach manual braking for RTOs but require auto-brakes for landing on wet runways. Many of our guys can't even join an airway with the LNAV or even extend a centerline for an approach. It will be a mess of astronamical proportion beleive me.

Now if you want to see a group that can really hand fly an aircraft or do mental math for speed and decents this is the one but automation ain't their forte'

Interesting. I had no idea thw SWA pilot group was so retarded. ...Just kidding!

VNAV and RNP approaches are NOT a "training by memo" event.

VNAV descents without accurate descent winds don't work worth a damn on the B737.

AT with VNAV will save fuel! Particularly on TA and climb outs. SWAPA should also push the Co. and dispatch to use the "cost index" wisely.

No need to reinvent the wheel but a modern tire rides and handles better than a wagon wheel.

VNAV and RNP approaches are NOT a "training by memo" event.

VNAV descents without accurate descent winds don't work worth a damn on the B737.

AT with VNAV will save fuel! Particularly on TA and climb outs. SWAPA should also push the Co. and dispatch to use the "cost index" wisely.

No need to reinvent the wheel but a modern tire rides and handles better than a wagon wheel.

They put a memo out about a month ago telling us to put the winds and ALT setting into the forcast portion of the descent page on the FMC using the winds at lower altitudes from our release. Just using the descent page and flying it just like it says I would say the aircraft shouldn't have any problems. Looks to me like it should work pretty well. We will see.

I heard the autothrottles will go into auto-reverse if the taxi speed exceeds 10 kts...

:laugh::cool::p:pimp:

I sorta doubt all this. Checked SWAPA web site and there is zero news about the union winning a JA/manning issue. Also I can't believe we would hire 150 new guys to overlap for training. It would be nice and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing those guys/girls in the pool come aboard. In reference to autothrottles. When I was in training in Feb they told us there would be 2 phases. First phase was autothrottles in cruise about 10,000' and that would be just a online academic lesson online. Second phase would be full use of autothrottles that would involve 2 or 3 sims plus academics in DAL. The entire package for changing ops and the training required was at the FAA for approval.

Many of our guys can't even join an airway with the LNAV or even extend a centerline for an approach. It will be a mess of astronamical proportion beleive me.

Most F/O's can do this just fine ;)

The old school guys who really believe their own press about being the best "hand fliers" as you say will be the challenge.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back