• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hot off the press: SWA to hire 450

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, your saying that you don't work at SWA, don't have a clue how they plan on training, and have zero idea of how many pilots they hire for training events? Not so fast Spooky...it appears you're opinion is exactly that.

And your opinion is based on ... desk work? Why don't you go back to pushing papers...

I'll tell you where you went wrong. I was simply naming the three upcoming training "areas" that SWA will face in the near future. How SWA will eventually train in those areas and if they are the three FR8dognit heard about is something we will all see. I had a very nice conversation with one of the gentlemen preparing the training at SWA for those three areas.

I'll tell you where you went wrong. I was simply naming the three upcoming training "areas" that SWA will face in the near future. How SWA will eventually train in those areas and if they are the three FR8dognit heard about is something we will all see. I had a very nice conversation with one of the gentlemen preparing the training at SWA for those three areas.

I hope you were able to keep your pants on. I've heard a thing or two about you ofacegangsta.

Not so fast. VNAV, RNP, and Autothrottles can all be taught at one time since they are all part of the VNAV solution. As for autothrottles alone, they could be taught with a handout imo. RNP can be taught with 30' CD, assuming your not leaving the confines of the continental US. Hardly a reason to hire 150 pilots. I'm not current on the B737NG, although I do teach RNAV/VNAV procedures in Boeing aircraft, so tell me where I'm going wrong here?

Autothrottle usage alone (not to mention VNAV / RNP) will change a very large part of the way we do things here ie. flows, checklists, plus more. It will be a significant event for all involved and I for one see absoltely no way in hades that we could teach this stuff with a handout or video. I know...I have flown this airplane using all the magic at another airline prior to SWA.

I flew with a management guy a few weeks ago and we talked about the training issue a little bit. He said the plan was to initially use AT for cruise, which would only require a handout. The next step was AT for VNAV climb and decent but not approach, again only requires a handout and maybe home based computer training. Then finally AT for approach, which was the one that required a simulator. I don't think that this limited amount of training requires an extra 150 pilots. I hope we do hire a bunch of guys this year, but it won't be for this reason.

So, your saying that you don't work at SWA, don't have a clue how they plan on training, and have zero idea of how many pilots they hire for training events? Not so fast Spooky...it appears you're opinion is exactly that.

Well TC you are an AF dooley I see, so I suspect you know squat about Part 121 training requirements, much less the 737-700 One thing you can make book on is that they will, just as all other airlines, do it the cheapest way possible, ergo they will combine it so as to maximize the effectiveness while keeping costs to a minimum.

Don't you have airplanes that need fuel. Run along now and fly safe.

How many poolies do they have already? Is that over and above the poolies they have, or does it include them?

When it comes to training the FAA is owned.

If the air carriers have their way initial and upgrade will soon be reduced to a home study computer course.

Remember back in the old days and a captain had to have an instrument check every six months.

Good thing the airlines are doing away with those very expensive sim events. Clearly they are not bottom line friendly and should therefore be eliminated.

Hey @ssclown, I was answering spooky. The gentleman I was refering to has been a lifelong friend of my family, so keep your asinine comments to yourself.

It's obvious you are the one with your pants off since your head is lodged-up your @ss after that dumb comment.

I recently heard the Training Department was asked, "How many can you run through this year?"

Of course, they ask that periodically anyway.

Latest resources

Back