hot airplanes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Section 8

At ASA-it is in the Hot Weather section. Reads like a system limitation to me. The purpose is to keep the screens from overtemping and shutting down on you at an inconvenient time. It is too bad everyone does not enforce this. I guarantee it will lead to some trouble one day.
-Don't let our sorry mgmt steamroll you-people really can die from this silliness, and when that happens, it will make the crew look bad-mgmt will deny ever having talked to you-watch how fast they get amnesia!
-J

Forgot the quote about arguing on the internet. . .

Last edited:
Well if you are the captain and the aircraft in your judgement is to hot to operate safely then you refuse the airplane. If the company gives you any grief then just give a little jingle to the faa and explain your predicament. Fact of the matter is, if a pax dies on your airplane from heat it is your A$$ for not refusing. At ASA if the cabin temp is above 30c then we can't fly the CRJ due to efis heating problems. Should be the same at all CRJ carriers as I believe this comes from bombardier.

HA HA HA HA!!! 30c HA!

Yesterday the cabin was 37c with no air flow. good times. the cockpit was prolly over 40.... good stuff

I have been looking on the osha web site for information on refusing to work in hot working conditions, but I can't find a temperature to call it quits.

Doe's anyone have any information or know a web site that could help me out?

Thank you for your time.

Oh, sorry, I thought this was one of those threats about which is the best airplane: CRJ or ERJ?

i don't think you'll get too far with OSHA. we had a captain try to refuse an airplane because the APU was inop on a hot day, (at a previous airline, he'd had a passenger die of heatstroke) but it didn't work. in the company's view, it's uncomfortable, not unsafe. and the MEL says it's fine. Still, I've heard ASA pilots can refuse an aircraft with no APU if the cabin temp is too high, but Comair will tell you to go flying.

I suppose if you felt really strongly about it, you could call in sick - say the heat was making you feel faint or something. but at the end of the day, you're just going to have to deal with it.
Another fine example of Comair.........

For those of you saying, "quit your whining it was worse in my previous airplane. . . . "

. . . the passengers don't care. The pax don't care if your previous plane was a metro, a saab, a 1900 or whatever. Heck, didn't we all (most everybody) start off in aircraft with no a/c. Our perspective is different - we open the door for our a/c.

The 85-year-old in the back of the jet in Florida in the summer doesn't give a &hit what you last flew - the issue is that it needs to be cooler NOW.

You are 100% correct! You have a responsibility to the people in the back for their SAFETY and COMFORT. It's not your fault the air conditioning is broke, that's maintenance's problem. If enough flights were canned instead of getting pushed off the gate by sheep who wouldn't say anything but "YES SIR MR. DISPATCHER SIR....IT'LL COOL OFF AT ALTITUDE......" then low and behold Maintenance would figure out how to fix the A/C and get it to work more reliably. I blame the PIC's who accept the airplanes and the FO's that go along for the ride. NOTHING gets me closer to a mental breakdown than receiving an airplane in the middle of a 90 plus degree day with a deferred pack or Vapor cycle system. COWARDS! Grow a pair and act like the PIC's that used to fly around aiplanes without A/C.

I am shocked to see some of you saying to quit crying about hot airplanes. I figured this would be anonymous in favor of not taking them.

Those of you who say you should take it have never done a hour from boarding to takeoff on a 90 degree ATL day, with the cabin and cockpit at 40C. It's unhealthy and ridiculous. It takes a fully loaded CRJ-200 sans APU about 20 minutes to hit 40C on taxi out on a hot day in ATL. That's a typical money line from push back to takeoff.

To the one who said it's not an OSHA case, the difference between us and outdoor workers, is they can take a break and cool off. And they rarely are subjected to temps above 30C. When they are, they're required to break every 15 minutes. We are trapped in that 40C tube for hours. And think about the passengers, who may be elderly, in poor health, or pregnant. It's totally unsafe.

It's a captain decision not to take hot airplanes. Grow a pair and just say no.

Last edited:
I sorta skimmed thru this thread. Here is my question.... did any of you who were dispatched to fly a hot airplane call your alpa reps for guidance? If so, what did they say? This should fall under "Taking it back"... If you accept the airplane, it is because you want to accept it, not because of some management pressure. YOU are the one responsible for the pax at an insurance liability of 5 mil per pax. so what is that on the emb.... 250 million dollars you are responsible for...as a pilot.... on that airplane, every flight... Keep that in mind next time you sign in. Just because something is MELable, does not mean it is safe.

Flying a Pressurized twin out of Phoenix with no A/C in the summer! Thats a drag!! You'll lose 10lbs in a day doing that sheet!! 115degrees outside....probably 120+ inside the cabin......... Im spoiled now! Arnold said it best! STOP WHINING!

Latest resources

Back