hot airplanes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

greyskyracer

I have been looking on the osha web site for information on refusing to work in hot working conditions, but I can't find a temperature to call it quits.

Doe's anyone have any information or know a web site that could help me out?

Thank you for your time.

You can't be serious. I'm not saying we have nothing to complain about, this industry has lots of room for improvement, but seriously... hot airplanes? Does the sweat make your panties bunch up too easily or something?

You know there are cars out there with no a/c right? You know some people dig ditches in the sun all day? Did you never flight instruct through the summer or fly freight in an airplane without ac? Sure there are improvements to be made in this industry, but in general, being a regional airline pilot is the easiest job I've ever had.

I hope your post was just a lame joke or something that went over my head because of all the things we have to bitch about that is about the most pathetic one I've heard. I mean, really?

Well, when passengers begin to start fainting ... its a good sign that the airplane's too hot.

You fly an EMB 145 which probably has a working APU over 90% of the time. I fly a 20+ year old turbo prop with a disgruntled mx group.

We are not allowed to start an engine during push back in LGA and without an APU I've seen the temperature climb to over 100 degrees.

The passengers and crew should not be subjected to this especially infants and elderly.

With all do respect I think we have different ideas of hot airplanes.

Last edited:
i don't think you'll get too far with OSHA. we had a captain try to refuse an airplane because the APU was inop on a hot day, (at a previous airline, he'd had a passenger die of heatstroke) but it didn't work. in the company's view, it's uncomfortable, not unsafe. and the MEL says it's fine. Still, I've heard ASA pilots can refuse an aircraft with no APU if the cabin temp is too high, but Comair will tell you to go flying.

I suppose if you felt really strongly about it, you could call in sick - say the heat was making you feel faint or something. but at the end of the day, you're just going to have to deal with it.

Well if you are the captain and the aircraft in your judgement is to hot to operate safely then you refuse the airplane. If the company gives you any grief then just give a little jingle to the faa and explain your predicament. Fact of the matter is, if a pax dies on your airplane from heat it is your A$$ for not refusing. At ASA if the cabin temp is above 30c then we can't fly the CRJ due to efis heating problems. Should be the same at all CRJ carriers as I believe this comes from bombardier.

thats 20+ years other people have been flying that old t-prop without whining.............call al gore and blame it on global warming

You can't be serious. I'm not saying we have nothing to complain about, this industry has lots of room for improvement, but seriously... hot airplanes? Does the sweat make your panties bunch up too easily or something?

You know there are cars out there with no a/c right? You know some people dig ditches in the sun all day? Did you never flight instruct through the summer or fly freight in an airplane without ac? Sure there are improvements to be made in this industry, but in general, being a regional airline pilot is the easiest job I've ever had.

I hope your post was just a lame joke or something that went over my head because of all the things we have to bitch about that is about the most pathetic one I've heard. I mean, really?

You're ASA management's wet dream.

Last edited:
Try doing 5 to 6 leg days in an old ATR in the Caribbean with no prop brake, APU, and ill-functioning air carts. Been there, done that. Us jet guys have it good compared to that.

Latest resources

Back