• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

honest questions about alpa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Before you start your usual attacks and calling names, you should research their services a bit. They give free consultation to general members, but they do have a dedicated lawyer service to help you, if you pay for their legal service. I know, my cousin flies cargo and received help from an AOPA lawyer with a mistake he made out in California. They did help him and he still flies. He does pay for the service, but did get legal help. It is more than a magazine. I am not fully endorsing their services, because I don't get paid to do so, but there are other options. The ASAP program is also there to help. Skywest doesn't just hang it pilots out to dry, regardless of what you pro-ALPA heros say.

Once again I had aopa ATP insurance (their highest offering), paid for it three years, when I went to use it it ended up being worthless. All they could do was give some very general advice that I could have figured out on my own, quote the small print under terms and agreements explaining why I wasn't going to get an attorney to help me at that point in time....and that after a conviction was in place there were some options I could persue but it would cost me extra. I dont care if your Aunt, Cousin or Sasquatch says he had aopa attorneys dig him out, thats just not how it works.

Disability

I'd also be curious the hear the specific amounts if a pilot cannot get his medical back.

I think everyone here knows what a retard your are. ALPA medical would probably consider that a pre-existing condition. I wouldn't count on getting any bucks for simply being "special."

-F-tard!

Once again I had aopa ATP insurance (their highest offering), paid for it three years, when I went to use it it ended up being worthless. All they could do was give some very general advice that I could have figured out on my own, quote the small print under terms and agreements explaining why I wasn't going to get an attorney to help me at that point in time....and that after a conviction was in place there were some options I could persue but it would cost me extra. I dont care if your Aunt, Cousin or Sasquatch says he had aopa attorneys dig him out, thats just not how it works.

Quit using facts, it confuses the anti-Alpa crowd!!!

Short answer is this:

1. IMHO: ALPA legal services are a joke (or were for me). Others report better results.

Please explain how Duty of Fair Representation (DFR) was exluded as you became the punch line of an ALPA legal joke?

I think everyone here knows what a retard your are. ALPA medical would probably consider that a pre-existing condition. I wouldn't count on getting any bucks for simply being "special."

-F-tard!

I don't care who you are. That there, is funny!

As far as Skynation goes, a wise man once said, "You can't fix stupid!"

ALPA Aeromedical's "saves" are numerous, and impressive. They have a very good relationship with Dr. Silberman and the FAA medical folks.

Where they've been indispensible has been on issues related to depression, anxiety, and stress. Calls and consultation with ALPA Aeromedical by an ALPA member do not have to be reported as a "health care provider visit" on the FAA medical form when you take your physical.

That alone has encouraged a lot of pilots dealing with stress from Bankruptcy, 9-11, TSA screening shenanigans, marital issues, etc, to seek help getting through it.

ALPA legal is your lawyer. If it has anything to do with your job...they represent you. Not "advice", not "consulting"...your lawyer. If you end up in Admin Court over a violation...they are there in court with you, as your lawyer.

A Chief Pilot on the warpath? They represent you.

And yes, your ALPA Loss of License policy will pay you 150% of your annual salary, drop your kids off at Day Care, write-stamp-and-mail all your Christmas cards, and set you up with Pamela Anderson after she dumps Loser #3.

Did I mention it makes mounds of julienne fries?

You know, I fully support the AOPA legal services plan. It's great, you can use it for anything aviation related, they provide a lawyer or you can pick your own and have him paid for, and it only cost $100 a year. I've used them before and they do work hard and fix things quickly. You also have AOPA backing you, the largest non-profit aviation organization in the world. There are a plethora of medical and legal services available for a only small fraction of what ALPA charges, but they probably won't buy you coffee (Oh, that won't be the case once the drive is over)

However, you don't have to vote ALPA on the property to be able to buy it. Numerous insurance companies offer it.

True, but it's more expensive going shopping on your own. Take this for example:

Using age 30 as an example for 3000 per month from the 12 Month Wait/48 Month Benefit...

The Harvey W. Watt & Co. plan would cost you $374 per year

The ALPA plan would cost you $355 per year

Harvey W. Watt & Co does have plans that are cheaper. Such as the 12 Month Wait/24 Month Benefit for $324/year or the 6 Month Wait/18 Month Benefit for $263/year. However, ALPA is definitely cheaper when you compare equivalent plans.

Oh, and The AOPA legal services are $100 per year for Commercial/ATP and the benefits are limited. There will be out of pocket expenses if you need to go to court.

Thanks!!

Latest resources

Back