• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

honest questions about alpa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA isnt concerned with those issues at all. They would rather stand behind podiums and pound their shoes, while making their groups take pay cuts and terrible QOL. And then tell you it makes sense for the next negotiations in 2013. Ever notice anyone involved with ALPA speaks and shouts at the rally?

They would rather stand behind podiums and pound their shoes, while making their groups take pay cuts and terrible QOL.

Uh...ALPA didn't "make" anybody take anything. Every concessionary agreement at the legacy carriers was ratified by its respective pilot group. If those pilots didn't like what was negotiated, they were free to vote it down.

God forbid folks lose their apathy and take some responsiblity for their career...

AOPA not ALPA

You might check out AOPA's Legal Service program. It is $29 a year. A YEAR! They have the same type of lawyers and your membership helps many, many pilots. Just a thought because this service is for FAA legal action and medial issues.
  • Airspace incursions and other FAA violations
  • Aircraft accidents involving you or any aircraft you own
  • Aircraft purchase/sale agreements
  • Alcohol and drug testing related to flight activities
  • FAA medical certification matters
  • Review of aircraft rental and leaseback agreements
  • Review of hangar and tiedown agreements
  • U.S. Customs enforcement matters

looking for info and not rhetoric or flames about alpa.

2 scenarios.

1-a pilot is involved in an incident, accident or whatever and the FAA seeks certificate action against him. he's an honest guy who made an honest mistake (ie: crossed and active runway, his FO struck a wing on landing or something similar). The company decides to fire him. what legal services would ALPA provide? is there a limit? how do they decide whether or not an attorney will be provided?

2-a pilot loses his medical (develops heart condition, eyes go bad, whatever.) he is no longer able to qualify for a medical, so he loses his job. what benefit would ALPA pay to this pilot, and for how long?

Under the current system at ASA two things take place. A grievance by the pilot is filed for the termination pilot AND ALPA atty will sit down with the FAA.

Grievance process... meeting with the company to find out all the facts of the violation and ALPA does their own investigation. ALPA safety works with the group to see if there have been any other such problems like this at this location etc..

If pilot is not put back to work, then it goes to System Board where both sides, ALPA atty and company, talk about the issue and try to find some common ground. Usually, but not always, able to bring pilot back to work with some items....retraining etc...

If not resolved at System Board then the case will be put before an Arbitrator for binding arbitration.

FAA...this has a great deal to do with the relationship on a local level between the FAA and the ALPA atty.
There have been several times that the two work together to find and resolve issues that arise. ALPA atty will handle this for you.

As for the medical...if the pilot has elected the Loss of License Insur. then he would be covered under the policy. As for the FAA, ALPA Medical in Denver is the best. They work with the FAA on thousands of medical cases to find what it will take to get his medical back. The doctors in Denver know about the latest treatments and procedures and can point you in the right direction and will work with your AME.

PM me if I can help.

Last edited:
You might check out AOPA's Legal Service program. It is $29 a year. A YEAR! They have the same type of lawyers and your membership helps many, many pilots. Just a thought because this service is for FAA legal action and medial issues.
  • Airspace incursions and other FAA violations
  • Aircraft accidents involving you or any aircraft you own
  • Aircraft purchase/sale agreements
  • Alcohol and drug testing related to flight activities
  • FAA medical certification matters
  • Review of aircraft rental and leaseback agreements
  • Review of hangar and tiedown agreements
  • U.S. Customs enforcement matters

You might want to do your research on this a little more before selling it as "similar to what Alpa offers". I signed up for this when I was a CFI, had a legal issue. I was told the legal services in the form a of an alpa paid attorney dont kick in until after you are convicted and have "exhausted all other resources". The attorney advice I got over the phone was some kid who just barely graduated from law school, building his resume working for Aopa. Not even in the ballpark compared to what Alpa offers. You get what you pay for but then again an intelligent person would understand you arent going to get much for $29 a year or even their slightly more expensive ATP plan which is what I had.

looking for info and not rhetoric or flames about alpa.

2 scenarios.

1-a pilot is involved in an incident, accident or whatever and the FAA seeks certificate action against him. he's an honest guy who made an honest mistake (ie: crossed and active runway, his FO struck a wing on landing or something similar). The company decides to fire him. what legal services would ALPA provide? is there a limit? how do they decide whether or not an attorney will be provided?

WWW. provided a good explanation as to how this works. Basically, there's no limit. The attorneys will work with you on the grievance all the way through to arbitration. They'll also deal with the FAA when necessary.

The guy who posted about AOPA obviously doesn't understand what he's talking about. AOPA members only receive a free consultation from legal. They don't receive free legal help beyond that. It's all extra. ALPA provides all of it for free for members on active status.

You might want to do your research on this a little more before selling it as "similar to what Alpa offers". I signed up for this when I was a CFI, had a legal issue. I was told the legal services in the form a of an alpa paid attorney dont kick in until after you are convicted and have "exhausted all other resources". The attorney advice I got over the phone was some kid who just barely graduated from law school, building his resume working for Aopa. Not even in the ballpark compared to what Alpa offers. You get what you pay for but then again an intelligent person would understand you arent going to get much for $29 a year or even their slightly more expensive ATP plan which is what I had.

The problem here is you said "an intelligent person would understand"...thus all the anti-ALPA zealots that keep spewing their lies and propaganda!

Before you start your usual attacks and calling names, you should research their services a bit. They give free consultation to general members, but they do have a dedicated lawyer service to help you, if you pay for their legal service. I know, my cousin flies cargo and received help from an AOPA lawyer with a mistake he made out in California. They did help him and he still flies. He does pay for the service, but did get legal help. It is more than a magazine. I am not fully endorsing their services, because I don't get paid to do so, but there are other options. The ASAP program is also there to help. Skywest doesn't just hang it pilots out to dry, regardless of what you pro-ALPA heros say.

Under the current system at ASA two things take place. A grievance by the pilot is filed for the termination pilot AND ALPA atty will sit down with the FAA.

Grievance process... meeting with the company to find out all the facts of the violation and ALPA does their own investigation. ALPA safety works with the group to see if there have been any other such problems like this at this location etc..

If pilot is not put back to work, then it goes to System Board where both sides, ALPA atty and company, talk about the issue and try to find some common ground. Usually, but not always, able to bring pilot back to work with some items....retraining etc...

If not resolved at System Board then the case will be put before an Arbitrator for binding arbitration.

FAA...this has a great deal to do with the relationship on a local level between the FAA and the ALPA atty.
There have been several times that the two work together to find and resolve issues that arise. ALPA atty will handle this for you.

As for the medical...if the pilot has elected the Loss of License Insur. then he would be covered under the policy. As for the FAA, ALPA Medical in Denver is the best. They work with the FAA on thousands of medical cases to find what it will take to get his medical back. The doctors in Denver know about the latest treatments and procedures and can point you in the right direction and will work with your AME.

PM me if I can help.

ALPA Medical is AWESOME. My buddy lost his Medical a few years ago due to some cardiovascular complications. He was taken off-line without pay. He worked through his personal health issues successfully and with the help of the ALPA Doctor got back on-line. There is a whole process to getting back on-line if you lose your Medical. The Doctor (I can't remember his name--Harvard grad very well known in the ALPA ranks), puts together a packet for you, and submits and re-submits based on what the FAA needs/wants to see. You could never do this on your own or just with a "local Doctor." The FAA is a beauracracy and god forbid you ever lose your Medical. Hopefully you all get a chance to attend an ALPA Conference. A lot of the different areas are covered and gone into detail by the individuals that head up each Committee. Hearing the Doctor's presentation about how he gets ALPA pilots back online was very impressive.

If you want to hear a personal account of it PM me and I'll put you in contact with my buddy. He's very proud of ALPA Medical and knows he wouldn't be flying the line today without it.

Trojan

The ASAP program is also there to help.

And who represents the pilots in your ASAP program?

I have a question for you...What group of people were able to use their resources to help in the investigation, that lead to finding the faults in the E120 prop, of the ASA BQK crash?

Was it ASA MGMT?

Was it AOPA?

Was it ALPA?

Was it the Pep Boys, Manny Moe and Jack?

Latest resources

Back