• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Holly Hegemon's Blog on ILS 23 @ BUF, Safety & Colgan Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you guys need to read the whole thread. the 737 definitely will capture GS before LOC, depending on how your company has it set up.

just because yours doesn't or YOU haven't seen it, doesn't mean it won't do it. be careful extrapolating absolutes from small data sample sizes.

Interesting to hear that any autopilot will capture a G/S "before" it captures a LOC. The Bus will not.

"I don't know. There are plenty of pilots who push APP the minute they are cleared, despite being well outside the FAF. There are numerous airports where the practice will take you below step down fixes and yet pilots do it all the time."

I often push the APP button when a clearance is given, but again, the Bus will not intercept the G/S without the LOC being captured. However it will continue a descent if it is out of managed mode if V/S is selected or Open Descent is selected and the FAF altitude is set no matter how far out you are from the fix.

The bus used to do this as well. Most were modified at the request of customers.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=121072

oops, was referring to this thread. titled something like SWA safety alert BUF ILS RW 23. that is the one where we all chatted about GS capture inhibited or not. sorry for the aspersions cast 2 posts ago. if you are interested, check the other thread though, many different guys have covered this ground quite thoroughly.

Who cares what airplane does this or that?

Just hit the "App" button when cleared and if the jet ain't goin' where it's 'sposed too...just fly the damn airplane.

YKMKR

Ummm, i care! I like to know what my bird will and will not do. But i get the point of your post...and i agree, fly the plane first.

Redtailer:

I don't know. There are plenty of pilots who push APP the minute they are cleared, despite being well outside the FAF. There are numerous airports where the practice will take you below step down fixes and yet pilots do it all the time.

If there is something about this G/S that makes it unusual enough for Southwest to issue a memo on it, then it is well worth my time to consider.
There are air carrier procedures that specify that the APP function is selected at clearance, on the base leg of the approach--not at LOC intercept, if that is what you are implying is "proper" procedure.

Latest resources

Back