• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Holly Hegemon's Blog on ILS 23 @ BUF, Safety & Colgan Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The sad thing is CJC was vectored from the south and the accident had nothing to do with all of that. Not Ice...not the ILS......much less complex than all of that...not Instrument 101...flying 101.

I hate to say it...but it is sad........

The sad thing is CJC was vectored from the south and the accident had nothing to do with all of that. Not Ice...not the ILS......much less complex than all of that...not Instrument 101...flying 101.

I hate to say it...but it is sad........

What position do you hold on the AIB to have come up with the cause to the crash?

Interesting to hear that any autopilot will capture a G/S "before" it captures a LOC. The Bus will not.

"I don't know. There are plenty of pilots who push APP the minute they are cleared, despite being well outside the FAF. There are numerous airports where the practice will take you below step down fixes and yet pilots do it all the time."

I often push the APP button when a clearance is given, but again, the Bus will not intercept the G/S without the LOC being captured. However it will continue a descent if it is out of managed mode if V/S is selected or Open Descent is selected and the FAF altitude is set no matter how far out you are from the fix.

Last edited:
Interesting to hear that any autopilot will capture a G/S "before" it captures a LOC. The Bus will not.

Neither will the Q400.

And the only Q400 autopilot limitation regarding icing is that it is prohibited in severe icing. The NTSB jumped the gun on trying to imply that there was anything wrong with operating the Q400 in less than severe icing conditions with the autopilot engaged.

RJACOBS,

I wish I was wrong but trust me...it will come out to be individual pilot error. I am sorry that is all I can say.

Enough Said.....you are right...let the NTSB figure it out.

ID

RJACOBS,

I wish I was wrong but trust me...it will come out to be individual pilot error. I am sorry that is all I can say.

Enough Said.....you are right...let the NTSB figure it out.

ID

If you are actually on one of the various AIB's or are party to the investigation(you are implying you are) you are completely in the wrong even being on here and making statements like this. That is the first rule of being on an AIB or being party to an investigation is to keep your damn trap shut in public, even if you know you figured it out because of a smoking gun. You are just as bad as the media "speculating" you know what happened.

If you are actually on one of the various AIB's or are party to the investigation(you are implying you are) you are completely in the wrong even being on here and making statements like this. That is the first rule of being on an AIB or being party to an investigation is to keep your damn trap shut in public, even if you know you figured it out because of a smoking gun. You are just as bad as the media "speculating" you know what happened.

I am not on the investigation board. I just do not want CJC to get the blame for this. It is all a tragedy and it will hurt a lot more people that just the people who crashed. It seems like pilot error and pulling down other people for an individaul(s) error is not a good thing. We will never "really" know what happened...we should all look at it, study it, and make sure it never happens in our cockpits.

I was close to many of the people that are involved in the clean up...it will need clean up for a long time. We can all go back and see how it could have been avoided...but that will do no good. We all must learn from it and move on.

You are right...no speculation is good...but that is what we all do here in FI...it is also why I hardly ever write on this...and I will not ever do it again...

The 737--unlike the EMB145 if I remember correctly--will capture a glide-slope and start descending even if it doesn't have a LOC capture.

Hi T&P,

The A/P on the 73 will most definitely not capture the GS before loc capture( it will, unlike some other types intercept a GS from above though after LOC capture).

However, depending on intercept angle and closure rate the A/P will go in capture mode quiet early. I believe it's even possible before the loc is alive on the instruments( not sure of that though, we usually have map mode displayed). Indeed, sometimes there will be a NOTAM warning of false glideslope or even false localizer capture beyond a certain localizer coverage. The best way to deal with that is to either use the VOR/LOC mode to capture the LOC and wait until the LOC pointer is centered before pressing APP, the other way ( in case of false loc readings as promulgated by notam) is to use the HDG bug to intercept the loc and then, when it is centered press the APP button.

I think this is what the SWA memo means.

Greetings

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back