Registered Abuser
https://aa.pilotcredentials.com/index.php?a=qualifications

Qualifications

Here is what it takes to be a successful pilot at American:

? Excellent communication skills and quick and accurate decision making
? Close attention to detail
? Minimum age of 23
? Ability to work varying hours of the day or night, on weekends and holidays
? Must be able to secure appropriate airport authority and/or Customs security badges
? Fulfillment of FAA criminal background checks
? Ability to learn and work with PEDs
? Distance vision corrected to 20/20 and near vision corrected to 20/40 or better in each eye
? Current Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) rating (multi-engine) or a valid ATP written test
? Valid FCC Restricted Radio Telephone Operator permit
? Valid First Class Medical Certificate
? Flight time in accordance with all FAA requirements
? Must be able to fluently speak and understand English
? Must have the right to work in the United States
? Additionally, we require all of our pilots to have a valid passport and documentation allowing for entry into the United States after an international flight.

Aspire to be the best and join a great team! Apply now to explore the possibilities!

American Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

I am having a hard time finding the 4 year degree requirement. Paradigm shift?

Last edited:
I imagine the published qualifications are somewhat lax in order to enable AA to hire some individuals of certain demographics without fear of being accused of this and that and the other thing. I notice no minimum flight time requirement either.

It's been a while since my dealings with the AA application processes, but if I remember correctly, there wasn't a requirement for a 4 year degree back in the pre 9/11 days either..!

I could be wrong though, it's just what I remember!

Actually, most airlines don't have this stated requirement of a four-year degree. I think only Delta does. You know, it's their form of PFT. Southwest and American would buy it for you, if they needed you to have it. :)

Bubba

Just dal and fedex. But you won't get hired without one.

Does having a degree make anybody a better pilot? I don't think so. Some of the best pilots I have flown with don't have a four year. It is called practical experience.

Yeah, unfortunately in the USA a degree has less to do with actual education and much more to do with "MONEY". Many other European country's offer their citizens an education which is comparable at a fraction of the price. The higher education system in the USA is all about money. Some don't want you in the same job next to them unless you have also paid your over priced fee to "higher education ".

Latest resources

Back