• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Hi there, I'm Standard"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My usual brief was always "I don't give a F*&k what you do or how you do it, just don't hurt me, my airplane, or my ticket" Most seemed to be ok with it.......Cheers

Some of the worst pilots you'll ever fly with are the most standard.

The three pilots that almost killed me, and I mean that literally, were the three most NON STANDARD pilots I have ever flown with. Being standard is about discipline. It's about being proud about what you do and refusing to compromise and lower the bar. It's about character, about doing what you know you are supposed to do, even when nobody is watching, instead of being cocky (not proud) about what you do, and doing things your own way because you think you are better than the people that developed the SOPs.
When I fly with an FO that is standard, we don't have to second guess each other and the cockpit flows beautifully, and very efficiently.
Pilots that do not adhere to standards tend to have other things in common: they tend to do crappy walk-arounds, tend not to be very knowledgeable about systems, ATC, their radio phraseology normally suffers and tend to be somewhat unprofessional in front of passengers.
It takes as much effort to do things by the book as it takes to do them your own way. In the end, it is all about discipline, and if you don't have it to fly standard, you probably don't have it for many other things.

The three pilots that almost killed me, and I mean that literally, were the three most NON STANDARD pilots I have ever flown with. Being standard is about discipline. It's about being proud about what you do and refusing to compromise and lower the bar. It's about character, about doing what you know you are supposed to do, even when nobody is watching, instead of being cocky (not proud) about what you do, and doing things your own way because you think you are better than the people that developed the SOPs.
When I fly with an FO that is standard, we don't have to second guess each other and the cockpit flows beautifully, and very efficiently.
Pilots that do not adhere to standards tend to have other things in common: they tend to do crappy walk-arounds, tend not to be very knowledgeable about systems, ATC, their radio phraseology normally suffers and tend to be somewhat unprofessional in front of passengers.
It takes as much effort to do things by the book as it takes to do them your own way. In the end, it is all about discipline, and if you don't have it to fly standard, you probably don't have it for many other things.

What REALLY scares me are the guys that spend so much time worrying about procedures and "standards" that they forget how to actually fly an airplane without the autopilot turned on.

When I was a new 121 captain, my first six months were pretty rough, 4 phone calls from the CP as I was trying to follow every letter of every law. As Jr. Reserve, I got assigned an FO shift one day with a very senior captain and he made an observation, he said "the guys that try to stay out of trouble always seem to be the ones getting into it, the guys that arn't trying to stay out of trouble ("don't give a s*&t") never seem to find it" I gave the "not giving a s&^t" attitude a try for two weeks, and I never went back. Made it all the way to IOE check airman and never got a phone call from the CP again. Get the big stuff and nobody is watching close enough to catch anything else.

"Hi, I'm standard" was never the flag. The true flag was someone that mentioned something along those lines and then ended up having a napoleon complex and not being smart enough to fly standard. You typically didn't find this out the first time you met them, though. There was normally a trail of pissed off FO's and FA's that they left behind.

Then there were the guys that just didn't care.... (for some reason they were almost always smokers...). That made for a long trip trying to figure out just what book they were reading from.

Being laid back and standard is always the easiest (and certainly is possible unlike some of the morons on here seem to think)- it takes minimal brain power and you always know what to expect.

Last edited:
You sound like a gem to hang out with.
I bet you're one of those guys with no accent what so ever, high pitch whiney voice. But once you key the mic, you talk in a deep, raspy voice with a Southern drawl. Saying "Sugar" instead of "Sierra".
I've flown with DB's like you. It's hysterical. As long as the message doesn't get mixed up in the translation, then we're all good. If you question the message, then question ATC.

And then 3 pilots almost killed you? Literally? Then it's time to wake the hell up and pay attention to what is going on around you.

To be a true professional, you should be able to analyze yourself, find your own style, stay consistant, and watch over the guy next to you. Do that and no one will "almost kill" you. Everyone has different abilities and comfort levels. The "good" guys/gals you fly with know their own limitations.

I've always been a big fan of the "lead by example" method of doing things. If you call for the required briefs, and run the required check lists, the F/O usually follows your lead and does the job, the right way, along with you. The best part is you don't have to point out your way of doing business.

You can only be as standard as you know to be. Everyone can re-read the OM/FOM and come up with something they didn't know before. They may be fine details, but everytime I read those things, I continue to learn.

The "I'm laid back" remark is absolutely the wrong one to make. It's like you're seeking approval, or trying to cross sell the fact that you are really a laxidazical @$$ in the airplane. Don't tell me you are laid back- just do your job so it's easier to do mine................

I hate your briefs. I'll nod my head and pretend I give a sh|t but I'm really thinking, it's an RJ not a 76, we all fly a hundred legs a month, and this job really isn't that difficult, only mind-numbing when I have to listen your pointless briefs.

I don't care if your super standard or if you have a pound of hash in your flight case, just try not to be a total doosh.

Latest resources

Back