"Hi there, I'm Standard"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not a CA these days, but when I was my brief went something like this:

"My intention is to do it by the book. If I'm not doing it by the book it's an unintentional error on my part. Please point it out so I can make a correction. I'll give you the same courtesy."

The guy writing the checks is paying me to do it a certain way. As long as the checks don't bounce I'll attempt to do it the way they want. It's their airline. Not mine. If I feel a procedure is so badly flawed that I'm compelled to substitute my own I'll bring it to someone's attention and let them reevaluate it it. The truth is companies have been flying airliners since before I was born. Most of them know what they are doing. I could nit pick a few minor things but for the most part my 121 experience has been that there really wasn't anything that didn't make sense.

What ever happened to the idea of simply doing your job like your boss wants it done? When I say "boss" I mean the company and the CA. A CA can be standard and still like certain things done a certain way. Why not just show him/her a little bit of respect and accomodate them?

It's an old adage, but it's still accurate. If you want to be a good leader you have to know how to follow. CA's should diligently attempt to be standard and they should require their crew to do so as well. I've never met a pain in the ass follower that suddenly morphed into a great leader. You may be the exception, but I doubt it.

Now I'm going to make a controversial statement. It has been my experience that pilots at the traditional major/legacy airlines are collectively more professional and more disciplined than their regional counterparts. That isn't to say regional pilots aren't professional. For the most part they are every bit as professional as their major counterparts. However, I've seen more unprofessional behavior at the regionals than I have at the majors. I say this as someone who has flown at both and who JS frequently on both. I don't know if the difference is a function of age (maturity), experience, corporate culture or the greater influence of pilots with a military back ground. It's a subtle difference, but it's still there. I know that will be an unpopular sentiment, but I stand by it. Flame suit on....

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IFcUBtU3B8&feature=related

WWAAAAAAAAaaaaaaahhhhhhh...w..w..w..wWAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH....sniff...WAAAHHHHHHHHhh

WAA..WAA.WAAAAAAaaaaaahhhhhh....i don't like my(honk, sniff) caaaappptaaain...wwwwaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

wwwwwwWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaahhhhhh...wh..wh..wh.wwwwaaaaaahhhhhhh
whhhaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh....i don't like my(snort) fo...wwwwahaaahhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa

Panty wastes

3 pages to figure out that some pilots are jerks, some are cool, some can't fly, and some can.

Some get along with others well, no matter what their respective "styles" and others can't.

So, there's probably some sort of table that we could come up with:

Non-standard, picky, "doosh" captains shouldn't fly with standard, picky, doosh FOs
Standard, non-picky FOs and Capts can fly with anyone . . . etc.

How about: Don't be a doosh and fly by the book? That way, if you're picky, you'll both agree what went wrong.

I say my brief more for the CVR than the Captain. If he doesn't want to hear it, then plug the ears. The book says do it, so I do it. As far as asking if we're ready to start an engine. In BFE, sitting on the ramp forever might be acceptable, while I wait for someone to say something. In Atlanta, with a dozen company aircraft waiting for you to start so you can move, things get a little more paced. I'm not there for friendship, companionship, or romance- I'm there for my job and for the money. Let me do my job or get out of my way.......................

Best pilot I ever met was an AA Capt. At 10,00 smoke in cockpit out of LAS, he and FO dont budge, I'm sitting there like wtf. Finally he says if the smoke gets bad tell me, the woman up front has not figured out how to not burn food yet. Then proceeds to tell me not to get married, just find what ever girl is hot to you, buy her a house, and never talk to her again. He then explained that mang hates pilots but as long as you look professional and never look defeated in front of them, they go home more pissed than you. Reason I quoted you is, I just came back from put in bay, and had never heard about the boat, now I cant get that damn song out of my head.

There had to be a large amount of alcohol that led up to writing this paragraph... I'm assuming since Put-In Bay was involved, that was likely the case.

Serious question, especially for those of you having such issues with of all things, a "briefing."

What are things you like to hear in a briefing then?

Let's back each other up, and have a good time. If we get a to decent bar, the first rounds on me...sound good?

You sound like a gem to hang out with.
I bet you're one of those guys with no accent what so ever, high pitch whiney voice. But once you key the mic, you talk in a deep, raspy voice with a Southern drawl. Saying "Sugar" instead of "Sierra".
I've flown with DB's like you. It's hysterical. As long as the message doesn't get mixed up in the translation, then we're all good. If you question the message, then question ATC.

And then 3 pilots almost killed you? Literally? Then it's time to wake the hell up and pay attention to what is going on around you.

Yeah, OK.

Latest resources

Back