Hey Xjet'ers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SkyBoy1981 said:
I heard we're getting 747's to carry rubber dog$hit out of Hong Kong. This came from a highly reputable source in the training department.

Well that's good - we can transport it right to Houston so they can serve it at the Panda Express - Orange Chicken!

QCappy said:
One thing that Horizon has, that I have no idea if ExpressJet has, is an extemely loyal customer base that is willing to pay a little more for the great service they get on Horizon. This includes free beer and wine, which may not sound like much, but it is amazing how many people find that as a huge plus to flying on Horizon. This willingness to pay a little more does help the bottom line. Having never flown ExpressJet I don't know what their service is like and certainly we all don't really know what they will offer on their own branded flying.

I'm from the NW and flew Horizon again recently - yes the beer and wine is good - and the ride (D8) was very nice . . . but seriously, you have such little competition - places like North Bend where I went . . . when many of your cities have no competitor it's real easy to have a loyal fan base. :)

Superpilot92 said:
The Aviacsa Rumor is just that, Just a rumor till its on a press release. Could it happen? Yes Will it happen? Maybe, We will see. Also The fact that we are hiring more instructors and adding additional New Hire and Upgrade classes that werent planned is good news. Also the rumor of CAL taking around 30 people a month from XJT is very much true!! This I have confirmed. That doesnt count the many people we have going to all the other carriers out there that are hiring. I am carefully optimistic about the movement that is taken place now and should continue. JMHO
I think what piker was pointing out was that all because hiring is on the rise, it speaks nothing of what the future holds. Seats need to be filled, that's all management cares about. Hire/upgrade today to furlough/downgrade tomorrow...it's happened almost everywhere.

Glad to hear your moving up the list. I really hope it stays that way and these guys let you know what's up soon.

Truckdriver said:
No. The only thing that is happening is the Charter ops negotiating and the contract extension talks. I think Ream would be foolish to not bid on the DAL flying. Ream not wanting to be part of the lowball bidding??? Every RFP is a lowball bidding war. That's what XJT is, a "contract" airline that bids on flying and the lowest bidder wins. whydoitry doesn't know what he is talking about. The only thing that looks certain at XJT is a contract extension, a few charter XR's, and the LR's going to Mexico to flown by Mexican pilots. That leaves about 40 XR's that nobody knows what to do with.

Yes I do know what I am talking about. XJT will not bid on flying if we cannot make money on it, and we will not spend the time putting together a proposal if we don't think that we could actually win it. Yes XJT is a contract airline, but no the lowest bidder doesn't always win, CHQ will be flying for CAL which will cost CAL more than keeping just XJT. The contract extension is not certain, it has to be negotiated and then ratified by the pilot group.

Last edited:
Turtlesfly said:
I'm from the NW and flew Horizon again recently - yes the beer and wine is good - and the ride (D8) was very nice . . . but seriously, you have such little competition - places like North Bend where I went . . . when many of your cities have no competitor it's real easy to have a loyal fan base. :)

Although I appreciate QCappy's enthusiasm for our airline, I have to agree with Turtlesfly on this one. I seriously doubt that service is the key to success or brand loyalty in small-market domestic flying.

I think a much bigger part of QX's success is market semi-exclusivity, frequencies, flying city-pairs people want (eventually, e.g. RDM-LAX) and feed to AS's schedules.

I like beer, but it's basically a gimmick at QX, not a strategy.

Why does XJT take whatever they can (i.e. break even) for the 44 airplanes and plan on doing point to point through growth without a lot of risk?

Latest resources

Back